Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Well, sort of ....
They did a reasonably good job at it. Started the first NEC service using Siemens ACS 64 designed in Sacramento (All American build ). These locomotives are called the Cities Sprinter, and can do speeds of up to 130 mph. They are replacing the AEM 7's purchased from Sweden in the mid 1980's. Also, Acela lines have been upgraded from 140 MPH to 165 MPH.

Next step is switching from Amfleets to Talgo's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 01:51 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
They did a reasonably good job at it. Started the first NEC service using Siemens ACS 64 designed in Sacramento (All American build ). These locomotives are called the Cities Sprinter, and can do speeds of up to 130 mph. They are replacing the AEM 7's purchased from Sweden in the mid 1980's. Also, Acela lines have been upgraded from 140 MPH to 165 MPH.

Next step is switching from Amfleets to Talgo's.
Sounds awesome!

Now if only Siemens made personalities!

Old 07-08-2014, 01:56 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Adi, here is what I really think.

I am worried about your approach to life. I have noticed lots of your posts on here, and you seem like a nice and smart guy who is into self-improvement, which is fine ... to a point.

But I worry that your outlook on life will cause you lots of stress down the road. You tend to see life as an upward trajectory, which it isn't always. You may or may not make "lots of money" after graduation. But you still have to live anyway.

I encourage you to stop looking at life as a "someday" and look at it (and at yourself) as it is RIGHT NOW.

You can't be happy if you go around thinking, "Someday, when I graduate and have a good job and 'fix' my personality, I will find my dream woman." It's good to have goals, but you still need to live your life while you approach those goals, and even after IF you don't achieve them.

Your personality is a mix of what you were born with, how you were raised, and how your experiences affect you. So fill your life with quality people and quality experiences NOW. Today.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:06 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:

I am worried about your approach to life. I have noticed lots of your posts on here, and you seem like a nice and smart guy who is into self-improvement, which is fine ... to a point.

But I worry that your outlook on life will cause you lots of stress down the road. You tend to see life as an upward trajectory, which it isn't always. You may or may not make "lots of money" after graduation. But you still have to live anyway.

I encourage you to stop looking at life as a "someday" and look at it (and at yourself) as it is RIGHT NOW.

You can't be happy if you go around thinking, "Someday, when I graduate and have a good job and 'fix' my personality, I will find my dream woman." It's good to have goals, but you still need to live your life while you approach those goals, and even after IF you don't achieve them.

Your personality is a mix of what you were born with, how you were raised, and how your experiences affect you. So fill your life with quality people and quality experiences NOW. Today.

Awesome post! This is exactly what is meant by saying that "life is what happens when you're busy making other plans". Also, that living your life is a journey each day, not just a destination to get to at the end, because really, at the end of what? Until you die, there isn't an end to everything where you reach a permanent state of utopia. Life is what you make of it, each moment of each day, not someday in the future. You have to live now, not just exist in the hopes of living one day.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Let me take this opportunity to elaborate my feelings now. Right now, I am happy an contended as a single man, and do not want to engage in dating or relationships. My first and foremost aim is to complete my summer research successfully, and get a graduate assistantship. Then, my focus is in completing graduate school and getting a job. Although my view on relationships is bound to change in the years to come, these two goals are on the HSR track and given priority at the moment. Yes, I will engage in relationships later on, but I want to plan ahead first and develop a true gentleman like personality which women will expect and appreciate.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 07-08-2014 at 05:39 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 05:38 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Right now, I am happy an contended as a single man, and do not want to engage in relationships. My first and foremost aim is to complete my summer research successfully, and get a graduate assistantship. Then, my focus is in completing graduate school and getting a job. Although my view on relationships is bound to change in the years to come, these two goals are on the HSR track and given priority at the moment. Yes, I will engage in relationships later on, but I want to plan ahead first and develop a true gentleman like personality which women will expect and appreciate.
That's all well and good, but you don't want to turn into one of those guys who ends up creating a thread on here that's akin to "I'm 23, and I've never spoken to or touched a woman. I have a degree and a car, why aren't women throwing themselves at me like my mom said they would?"

Don't waste your prime college years by never being social or having fun.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:42 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
I want to plan ahead first and develop a true gentleman like personality which women will expect and appreciate.
Why do you need us to tell you the qualities of a gentleman? You're smart, I'm sure you know what's involved.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's all well and good, but you don't want to turn into one of those guys who ends up creating a thread on here that's akin to "I'm 23, and I've never spoken to or touched a woman. I have a degree and a car, why aren't women throwing themselves at me like my mom said they would?"

Don't waste your prime college years by never being social or having fun.
Fun comes later, now its time for setting up my career. I will start fun and social life after school finishes, and hopefully will be successful a decade later. After grad school is great age to start my social life, rest assured I won't ask such silly question. Take my word for it today that by the time I start dating I won't even be posting on relationship forums any longer.

My religion bans going to any occasion where people drink or smoke. So having a social life with these limitations is a bit tough. I will get by and find something one day, so no worries.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 07-08-2014 at 06:29 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 06:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Start with your conversations skills. Learn how to ask questions.
I want to chime in on this one. There is a big difference between asking questions and having a conversation. I have been on many a terrible date (or conversation) where each question felt like a job interview.

You want to ask questions, leave room for people to expand. And ask more questions to help people expand. Without it feeling like an interrogation!

Practicing small talk is good too. Try to have a short conversation, just a few minutes, with one stranger a day! It helps you get more comfortable with the art of conversation. But remember, no pressure. The goal is to leave those few minutes with a smile.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Fun comes later, now its time for setting up my career. I will start fun and social life after school finishes, and hopefully will be successful a decade later. After grad school is great age to start my social life, rest assured I won't ask such silly question. Take my word for it today that by the time I start dating I won't even be posting on relationship forums any longer.
Don't let the fun pass you by in college. College is much more rewarding when you mix work and play. And college is a very very valuable time to setup your future connections, and many of those are made via social connections.

College is a perfect opportunity to expand your network with future influential people, many of those will be the people you socialize with.

And if I recall, you are an engineer. Don't be fooled motet tech jobs aren't filled by the best coder, but the person the interviewer connects the best with. And for early stage companies, they generally fuel the development and early stage teams with their friends, many of them college friends (and of course people they work with). But working in Silicon Valley is definitely equal parts skill and equal parts "culture fit" which is code word for "I want you to be my happy hour buddy and come to my wedding."

So work on the fun and social skills now, they will be essential for your career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships