Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 05:13 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,197,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslieho View Post
We should respect the cultural custom from different countries.
Yes, true. But I don't want to give up our tradition. I respect love marriage and dating life the western world engages in, but at a personal level I would not be willing to engage in it. Cultural preservation at a personal level is of great importance to me. I will make good friends with people from different backgrounds. But making them my lifelong partner is an entirely different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 05:18 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,733,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Nice try. We are watching it on TV.
Maybe you should choose shows that are a bit more intellectually stimulating instead of pop culture garbage

And the answer is a big fat hell NO. I like being a westernised girl in a westernised world and having choices.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:21 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,733,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Nowadays ~50% of all American marriages end in divorce. Therefore considering an arranged marriage maybe is not such a bad thing.
Maybe arranged marriages produce better relationships in the long run than do typical American marriages, in which people find each other on their own and romance is the foundation.
Choosing a marriage partner is not an American thing, it's part of every single Westernised country where woman and men have a choice. And the fact America has a high divorce rate is not a reflection on the fact there is a choice. I think your extrapolating is incorrect here.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:31 AM

61,626 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Arranged marriage probably sounds good if you're desperate.
I am not sure if being "desperate" has anything to do with it, but there are MANY desperate people - see posts on Relationship Forums...

Old 07-09-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Maybe you should choose shows that are a bit more intellectually stimulating instead of pop culture garbage

And the answer is a big fat hell NO. I like being a westernised girl in a westernised world and having choices.
Good for you, and for the record I trust arranged marriage more than anything else. It has preserved our family culture for over 500 years. I still have original manuscripts written in the 1570's about my ancestor's lives.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 07-09-2014 at 06:35 AM..

Old 07-09-2014, 07:01 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,638,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I am doing it. Its part of our culture. Things will work out well, no worries . And girl, are you dissing me by saying I am dispassionate and boring.
Congratulations. If you know what you are getting into and want it (i.e. are not forced) I see nothing wrong with it.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Congratulations. If you know what you are getting into and want it (i.e. are not forced) I see nothing wrong with it.
Let me tell you a bit about our arranged marriage.

We have a festival called "nichiadhartham" (Finalization of marriage) in southern India, where you get to spend time with your future wife prior to the marriage ceremony. During this period, You are free to stop the marriage, and are given the option to accept or reject. Additionally, we also meet each other on a frequent basis for a few years. And its not like our parents meet only one family. Just as I meet with several women, my parents will get an opportunity to meet their families before finalization.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:02 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,713,267 times
Nah...

Old 07-09-2014, 08:30 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,358,315 times
Sorry, I don't want to be married that badly.

Besides, I'm trying to figure out how I would be "scientifically matched" to someone. What does that even mean? OK Cupid has been great for determining compatibility in terms of interests and beliefs, but not for determining spark, attraction or even likeability.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:14 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,225,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am not sure if being "desperate" has anything to do with it, but there are MANY desperate people - see posts on Relationship Forums...
Why are desperate people (and the desperate measures they go to) treated with contempt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships