Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:29 AM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times

Advertisements

This came up with a group of friends recently: When you are dating getting to know someone, which is more uncomfortable / difficult / sensitive / for you: talking about sex or talking about god?

That would be in terms of your own level of squeamishness, vulnerability, personally going out on a limb and revealing yourself. So....which area is harder for you to discuss? And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 11:31 AM

463 posts, read 646,960 times
God for sure. Atleast with sex you know whats going on

Old 12-18-2007, 11:44 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,490 times
I'd have to say either...depends on the person because the subject of sex could be a forbidden subject and the same could be said about God and religion.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Sex for me. The only sex education I received from my parents was "DON'T COME HOME PREGNANT!!!!!"

Old 12-18-2007, 11:56 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
I don't have a problem talking about sex, but I'm not going to bring up a topic like that early on in the dating stages. I have to trust them as a friend before even thinking about sleeping with them. But one could joke about the sexploits of Paris Hilton or take about some movie plot just to get a take on how kinky that person is about their sex habits. Sex talks shouldn't start off being so serious imo.

Or do you mean asking your date if he is clean of STD's? Well when you get to the point of being ready to have sex with him, just tell him that it's time for the two of you to get tested. No biggie. Maybe not the most romantic subject in the world, but it has to be done. Especially if you both have had other sexual partners in your past.

About God, that's never a problem with me. Anytime that I have liked a guy and was interesting in dating him, I quickly screen him for his God beliefs, if he wants kids, if he smokes cigarettes and his drinking habits. That's never a difficult questioning process for me. And if God is a part of his life, then I'm out. Fortunately for me, the guys I have liked are always atheists. But there are always clues, like them needing to go to church on Sundays etc...

Old 12-18-2007, 11:58 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,136 times
Neither for me, I guess it would depend on the other person's comfort level. I'm good on both topics, as far as being comfortable having a heart-to-heart.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:02 PM

I guess it's more nerve-wracking for me talking about god, religion, spirituality because I feel like he's more likely to turn tail and run if I reveal I have a rich spiritual life; whereas most people I date are thrilled to be with someone sexually adventurous and articulate.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
About God, that's never a problem with me. Anytime that I have liked a guy and was interesting in dating him, I quickly screen him for his God beliefs, And if God is a part of his life, then I'm out. Fortunately for me, the guys I have liked are always atheists. But there are always clues, like them needing to go to church on Sundays etc...
LOL!!!!! That is great!!! He could be a closet pray-er but he would have to hide it really well!!!

Old 12-18-2007, 12:04 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
I've never overcome my generations reticence in talking about sex, and although I can joke about it, if we are talking about one-on-one sex, I'd say I'd rather talk about God.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I've never overcome my generations reticence in talking about sex, and although I can joke about it, if we are talking about one-on-one sex, I'd say I'd rather talk about God.
and what generation is that? Or to put it bluntly, and if you don't mind revealing to our studio audience, how old are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships