Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 02:28 PM

377 posts, read 532,955 times

Advertisements

NC is only necessary if someone is abusive, or takes any form of contact as false hope for a new chance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 02:31 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
Ideally that sounds awesome. What happens with me though - I have never broken up because I lost feelings for them or just liked them as a friend, etc. My feelings are always very intact when I have to pull the trigger so I have to stay away or I stay attached FOREVER. And I mean years. It is like I am on their hook forever. This means no new men can crowd into my heart and I feel the rejection/pain forever.

I also need to do this just with ones I am gaga for that don't work out. Staying friendly with guys I date briefly or whatnot, no prob. On of my closest male friends for years was one I went on two dates with but neither had attraction for the other but we enjoyed hanging out.

btw - I dont think I am healthy about this stuff in the least
I don't think I'm healthy with it either.

I don't listen to the tips and advice because nobody really understands it but you. You have to get over in your own time. I honestly don't believe I am cut out for love. My heart moves too slowly, when I like someone I am stuck on them for a while, and it takes forever until I fall for someone else. I have eventually lost feelings for past crushes but it was only when I liked someone else. The odds are not in my favor.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:34 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,614 times
yeah Aurelia, I dont find many guys I like so when I fall it is HARD.

my bff isnt here so I will share: she gets over every guy easily because she doesnt really care about any of them. It is all about filling a slot. She just goes onto the next one quickly and forgets about the last one. I am not sure if I find this sad or I am jealous.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:49 PM

785 posts, read 953,956 times
I did NC on a long distance relationship. It wasn't like I would encounter a lot anyways. I did NC to move on but part of me wanted her to feel the pain, if not more, that I experienced during the break up.

I tried NC with a coworker. That works for like 2-3 days.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:02 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
Ideally that sounds awesome. What happens with me though - I have never broken up because I lost feelings for them or just liked them as a friend, etc. My feelings are always very intact when I have to pull the trigger so I have to stay away or I stay attached FOREVER. And I mean years. It is like I am on their hook forever. This means no new men can crowd into my heart and I feel the rejection/pain forever.

I also need to do this just with ones I am gaga for that don't work out. Staying friendly with guys I date briefly or whatnot, no prob. On of my closest male friends for years was one I went on two dates with but neither had attraction for the other but we enjoyed hanging out.

btw - I dont think I am healthy about this stuff in the least
It's possible that the pain you are feeling is not about those guys, but is something deeper that just gets kind of projected onto them. A counselor could help you figure out if that's the case.

It's normal not to want another relationship for a year or two after a serious one ends, though. When I said we help each other with OLD dating and stuff, I meant a year or more down the road (unless, like you said, it was a casual relationship).

And no, dragon_fly_12, this does not mean detachment from emotions . It means processing the emotions so that they are not upsetting us. It's ok if this does not work for you, but there is no need to leap to conclusions.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:18 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
I'm awesome at no contact. I had a horrible relationship after my first marriage ended. I left the country on the pretext of working away for 3 months. While I was away I sent him a letter saying it was over along with all the jewellery he'd given me and never spoke to him again. That was over 10 years ago. I occupied my time with working, traveling ans buying myself nice things.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:24 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
For me, I find that NC is not a healthy way to break up.

Of course there are exceptions in cases of abuse or other psycho behaviour, but, in general, I think the assumption some people make that it is always the best just isn't true.

What I do is convert my ex's into friends. We still talk, hang out, etc. When needed, we talk about the relationship, but mostly we talk about other stuff. We help each other write OLD dating ads and talk about our dates, even .
It's pretty easy to know when and when not to keep in contact with someone. I never really got the whole idea of it being a tormenting choice

Old 07-09-2014, 03:31 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_fly_12 View Post
Most people are not capable of this because it requires a detachment from emotions that most humans can't do.

My NC is good. I'm loyal to my own rules. It isn't easy, but they eventually get out of my head.

Some humans can do this and it is a blessing (in my opinion).
I don't get emotionally attached to most of humanity so the no contact is as easy as turning around and walking away and not looking back for me.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:00 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
It's pretty easy to know when and when not to keep in contact with someone. I never really got the whole idea of it being a tormenting choice
Yes! For the most part, my experience is that is something feels horrible it is a sign that it is not healthy for me. Not always, but mostly.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:24 PM

246 posts, read 387,742 times
I've had NC for my ex-GF for 15 months. We were together for over 2 years. I had very strong feelings for her and I think she did as well, although she broke things off. She'd broken up before but I had managed to patch things up. Nothing serious caused the breakups - in fact I really don't know the reasons other than unjustified jealousy on her part. I tried to reconcile again but it just wasn't in the cards, and she didn't even want to be friends (said we were too close). I still have lingering feelings and not a day goes by when I don't think about her. But I'm glad I maintained NC and expect I'll stay that way; it's just much harder to uncouple if you stay in touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships