Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 04:35 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Typically, if a couple intends to get married in a church or chapel then most pastors require a marriage license. They won't even marry the couple without one.
Well, um, yeah, you'll need a marriage license even if you don't get married in a church.
What's criminal about two people agreeing to a "union contract"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 04:42 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, um, yeah, you'll need a marriage license even if you don't get married in a church.
What's criminal about two people agreeing to a "union contract"?
When people get married with that license, they're inviting the State as a third party in their marriage. Then again, most certain people support government marriage.

Maybe see what happens if a couple decides to divorce, then they'll experience crime that heavily occurs in "family" courts and who knows how well that will turn out, especially for the husband. Alimony should be outlawed and couples should be able to end the marriage without the courts involved.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:49 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
As a pastor of a church, I would have no problem performing a marriage without a legal license. But the problem in Texas is, as I understand it, that once a couple is recognized as being married, has joint accounts, joint ownership of property, are considered by everyone they know as husband and wife, they become married anyway under the laws of the state. Common law marriage.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:50 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
No... it's a legal document. There's nothing criminal about getting married. How bizarre.

The choice of words is a little harsh, But I believe he is saying you are purposefully allowing the state and govroment in to your lives when you "legally" decide to be wedd.

It's implied.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
As a pastor of a church, I would have no problem performing a marriage without a legal license. But the problem in Texas is, as I understand it, that once a couple is recognized as being married, has joint accounts, joint ownership of property, are considered by everyone they know as husband and wife, they become married anyway under the laws of the state. Common law marriage.
Wish there were more pastors like that in my state. Common law marriage doesn't exist here.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:09 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Wish there were more pastors like that in my state. Common law marriage doesn't exist here.
Why do you need a pastor? If you think a license is unnecessary I can't imagine what purpose a pastor serves. Just ask a buddy to say a few words if you feel the need. If it's god you're worried about I don't think he needs anyone with a title doing the talking

Old 07-16-2014, 07:26 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
When people get married with that license, they're inviting the State as a third party in their marriage. Then again, most certain people support government marriage.

Maybe see what happens if a couple decides to divorce, then they'll experience crime that heavily occurs in "family" courts and who knows how well that will turn out, especially for the husband. Alimony should be outlawed and couples should be able to end the marriage without the courts involved.
Even without a marriage license what do you think happens after having a mortgage together for years, accumulating other assets and having children together when a couple decides to split?

They still seek legal avenues to secure their stake in the investments they made over the years and for the wellbeing of their offspring. You are not going to have one person just leave with nothing and the majority of people are not going to agree on child arrangements or finances. That's why we have this system to begin with.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Even without a marriage license what do you think happens after having a mortgage together for years, accumulating other assets and having children together when a couple decides to split?

They still seek legal avenues to secure their stake in the investments they made over the years and for the wellbeing of their offspring. You are not going to have one person just leave with nothing and the majority of people are not going to agree on child arrangements or finances. That's why we have this system to begin with.
I don't care. I think if there no kids involved, couples should go their own separate ways without financial repercussions and this 50/50 nonsense. But no, certain people always turn to the nanny state in the event of the split.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
I don't care. I think if there no kids involved, couples should go their own separate ways without financial repercussions and this 50/50 nonsense. But no, certain people always turn to the nanny state in the event of the split.
Then what you are advocating is leaving one spouse destitute or allowing all assets and investment be taken by the one with the most power and/or resources or by brute force and/or intimidation.

I know you will argue that this is exactly what happens in a legal court proceeding. Because you believe that the man always gets that shaft and the woman for some reason never financially contributes directly or indirectly to the relationship and I know you will never be convinced otherwise.

How do you figure property, investment, accounts, etc. be settled and divided legally and fairly without some sort of neutral third party? If you have joint assets and debt you cant just go your separate ways.

And what if kids are involved?

Old 07-16-2014, 01:32 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Then what you are advocating is leaving one spouse destitute or allowing all assets and investment be taken by the one with the most power and/or resources or by brute force and/or intimidation.

I know you will argue that this is exactly what happens in a legal court proceeding. Because you believe that the man always gets that shaft and the woman for some reason never financially contributes directly or indirectly to the relationship and I know you will never be convinced otherwise.

How do you figure property, investment, accounts, etc. be settled and divided legally and fairly without some sort of neutral third party? If you have joint assets and debt you cant just go your separate ways.

And what if kids are involved?
Sell and divide assets that are static (which is pretty much only real estate) and put the rest of my stuff in a 40 ft container and leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships