Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:35 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,832 times

Advertisements

Poor spelling and grammar are major pet peeves of mine. But I do not believe they are indicative of bad character, and not necessarily of low intelligence, either. My best friend is extremely intelligent and has one of the most creative, inventive, beautiful minds of anyone I knew. His spelling is absolutely horrendous. I edit for him all the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 07:35 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,370,836 times
Hey I correct people's spelling all the time!

I agree with the above posters.. I get really turned off by the "u" or "r" type of message fluff.. it speaks volumes when someone can put words down into a forum that speak to you. If they only half-care to begin with, it reflects in their post.

Bad spelling due to carelessness shows a lack of education, due to dyslexia is one thing, or just.. not having the time to care about how you present yourself to the people you are talking to.. ick, why should we want to hear what you have to say when you have only a shred of intent on expressing yourself clearly?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Poor spelling and grammar are major pet peeves of mine. But I do not believe they are indicative of bad character, and not necessarily of low intelligence, either. My best friend is extremely intelligent and has one of the most creative, inventive, beautiful minds of anyone I knew. His spelling is absolutely horrendous. I edit for him all the time!
I agree with this 100 percent. I'm a grammar, spelling and punctuation snob, but they don't have anything to do with a person's character. It's a reflection of education and whether the person reads a lot and pays attention to words. I have an amazingly wonderful sister-in-law who can't spell to save her life. But there's nothing wrong with her character.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:50 AM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
I was very interested in the whole what does bad spelling indicate at two distinct times: when I was engaged to be married to a man who is a terrible speller, yet he is also very brilliant and educated (PhD in physics, advanced degrees in mathematics, computer science, and electrical engineering), working at prestigious university. I was intrigued because clearly had nothing to do with intelligence. Spelling had always come easily to me with no effort, I just figured it was because I read a lot. But he read a lot too, and we both were very educated.

Then when I had children all three were very smart (really, not just a mother bragging : ) ) but one was also a terrible speller. So I looked into the studies and research and found it seems that spelling is something you either have or you don't for the most part. It can't be "learned" although people can use things like spell check. This made sense to me in what I saw in both my children and their dad. Both of them tried very hard with very little improvement in spelling. I never put any effort into it and it came easy.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:23 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,495 times
I'm a little suprised by some of the reactions on here. I was not trying to say that my view was right, however, wondering if anyone had similiar thoughts.
For those that say there is no logic, well, would you go after a perfect 10 (in a dating way, 10 meaning their phyiscal apperance), if they spelled like a 1st grader?
I did not think so.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:48 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Actually, what's also more disturbing than misspellings is people mixing up their homonyms. For instance, not using the correct forms of:
it's/its
you're/your
they're/their/there
affect/effect
advice/advise
to/too
then/than

My boyfriends works at a performance car shop and he cringes when someone misspells "tuning" as "tunning".

Old 12-19-2007, 01:10 PM

250 posts, read 937,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Actually, what's also more disturbing than misspellings is people mixing up their homonyms. For instance, not using the correct forms of:
it's/its
you're/your
they're/their/there
affect/effect
advice/advise
to/too
then/than

My boyfriends works at a performance car shop and he cringes when someone misspells "tuning" as "tunning".
Personally, I don't discriminate when it comes to the nyms I use. I am confident in my choice of nyms I favor, and I won't be labeled homophobic.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:15 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Spelling doesn't make much of a difference to me. It's more "overall content" and ability to express oneself that is important, IMO.

My BF uses "u" and "ur" when chatting. And, honestly, I've never really given it a second glance. Now, if that were combined with other things that made me go "hmmmm", it would probably be different. But, if it's just little things like that, it doesn't concern me too much.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:22 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
it's/its
you're/your
they're/their/there
affect/effect
advice/advise
to/too
then/than

You have more than one boyfriend? Bad joke. I couldn't resist though.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:29 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,604 times
thats a big mistake and you can make your judgment based on that alone lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I can distinquish the difference between rampant and just a few mispelled words, like when someone leaves out a letter due to typing errors. There is this one girl, who I have serious doubts about, spelled hockey, hokkee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships