Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can drinks just be friendly between two people?
Of course 41 69.49%
No way Jose 9 15.25%
It always starts with drinks and ends up in ....... 9 15.25%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 01:20 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
I've had a couple relationships with co-workers; one was awful, the others were alright, just some differences so we ended it mutually each time. Maybe it's just a different culture at certain companies?

As for the OP, yes, you can. Just make sure you and the person you're hanging out with are on the same page..

It is an across the board bad idea. I'm a huge proponent of non fraternization policies. Even if the couple is mature and works it out, it often affects others in the workplace. Completely unprofessional. There is absolutely NO reason to date at work unless you live in a ho dunk town with only one employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 01:24 PM

792 posts, read 634,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It is an across the board bad idea. I'm a huge proponent of non fraternization policies. Even if the couple is mature and works it out, it often affects others in the workplace. Completely unprofessional. There is absolutely NO reason to date at work unless you live in a ho dunk town with only one employer.
The thing is, when I was young and just starting out I had no social life other than the office. I would be there from 8:00 in the morning to past 10 or 11 at night, with some heavy take-home work on the weekends. So it made sense for me to try dating some coworkers. And it's a pretty big company/office too, I don't know if that would affect your opinion.

Now, yeah, I don't really date my coworkers anymore since I have some more time to socialize outside of work. But I don't think my previous relationships did much if any harm to my productivity or anything.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:27 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes there is. Hot guys only exist at my job. Although I did see a really hot guy working at the grocery store this morning, but I can't just stalk him while he's working. Stalking guys while I'm working is easier.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
OP...

what does it matter what other people think of you 2?

This is another great example of women care too much what other people think and over-analyze a situation.
It makes no difference to me, but it "came up" after this happy hour. And I got reminded again when I was watching According to him and her, a show that basically has a panel of people discuss relationship stuff. It was funny, since more than half of the people said "no, it is not possible." So I thought it would be an interesting topic.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:30 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
The thing is, when I was young and just starting out I had no social life other than the office. I would be there from 8:00 in the morning to past 10 or 11 at night, with some heavy take-home work on the weekends. So it made sense for me to try dating some coworkers. And it's a pretty big company/office too, I don't know if that would affect your opinion.

Now, yeah, I don't really date my coworkers anymore since I have some more time to socialize outside of work. But I don't think my previous relationships did much if any harm to my productivity or anything.

Not really. I worked in public accounting at one of the big four, the early years are like that. Lots of travel. Insane hours. Huge number of people and offices. Still, not acceptable in my book. I've given a talking to to more than a few subordinates. It just creates trouble for people and the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Yes there is. Hot guys only exist at my job. Although I did see a really hot guy working at the grocery store this morning, but I can't just stalk him while he's working. Stalking guys while I'm working is easier.
No, not a good reason at all. Exactly the wrong reason.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Yes!

Jade, if you're ever up this way, let me know and WE can go to happy hour!
Definitely! You are in north bay right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I wanna go too, I like friendly drinks! But I'm nowhere near you two. lol
You are invited when you are in our area!

Old 07-15-2014, 01:32 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
And then it occurs to me. For some people having drinks with someone of the opposite sex (or more inclusively the sex you are interested in) means date.

So what do you all think, do you only have drinks one-on-one with the opposite sex if it is a date or can it just be friendly?
So if you meet one-on-one for tea or coffee instead, it's not a date? Is it the choice of beverage or venue that determines date-i-ness? Who makes up these rules? Is there a rulebook somewhere?

I'm with you, jade. Just file this under "petty gossip", and do whatever you want. As long as you and your friend were clear it wasn't a date, that's all that matters.

Sheesh. Maybe the two of you should wear a sign saying, "We're Not On A Date!"

Old 07-15-2014, 01:34 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,811 times
I've done, heck even with girls during high school after class. Its possible.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:45 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Definitely! You are in north bay right?

You are invited when you are in our area!
Yep and yep!

Old 07-15-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So if you meet one-on-one for tea or coffee instead, it's not a date? Is it the choice of beverage or venue that determines date-i-ness? Who makes up these rules? Is there a rulebook somewhere?

I'm with you, jade. Just file this under "petty gossip", and do whatever you want. As long as you and your friend were clear it wasn't a date, that's all that matters.

Sheesh. Maybe the two of you should wear a sign saying, "We're Not On A Date!"
Oh that is a good idea! Now I should think about the beverages for another experiment.

Although I can't remember where I heard this, there are people who think it is the drinking that is the problem. Since drinking makes people more "uninhibited." And I guess bars have darker mood lighting? Hmm I don't know. I choose my drink based on the time and the person's interests. Tea, coffee, smoothies, raw juice or booze are all fair game! The venue is inconsequential. But maybe other people drink more at bars than I do. for me, I have a 2 drink max on a given day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships