Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:06 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times

Advertisements

Itsrick needs lots of hugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 09:51 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Some time ago, I discussed how my wife and I disagreed on relocating to her home state. I've explained time and again that I can't leave my job or resources to move some place where I don't know the people or the job market. She has told me that she was miserable here...
Well, she went back home. My emotions are very mixed - no more fighting and arguing (Good), but I'm feeling alone without her (Bad). She has told me that she loves me, and I love her too, but too many changes in our marriage. The intimacy, long gone. Counseling...what counseling? (She refused to go).
I just want for her to be happy; I believe that she is happy as she is back home with her family. But now I'm a basket case! I knew that the marriage would end (irreconcilable differences), but tonight, I feel remorseful.

Sorry you are going through this.

With intimacy long gone, you must have known the marriage was coming to an end. Her leaving brought the finality to the forefront... and that sucks.
Hang in there!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 AM

48 posts, read 50,346 times
The end is so hard. It does sound like the normal, healthy grieving process. Those of us that have divorced can relate. Definitely feel free to get support here and reach out to your family and friends- they are so valuable as you go through this.

I don't understand the negativity in comments such as she is dead to you, and to not go easy on her- she is probably hurting just as much too. After my divorce with my ex we continued to talk sporadically about the demise of the relationship, what we did wrong and how we learned from our mistakes. It helped us put things in the proper perspective and was also a good form of support because who knows what you are going through better than someone going through it? Speaking with her may not be an option, it worked for me and my ex but I realize that is an enigma in many respects, but maybe speaking with other people in a similar situation or a support group will certainly speed up the healing process.

Just listen to your heart and know this is the end, but it also signals the beginning of something new. And that can be quite the adventure too.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:37 AM

48 posts, read 50,346 times
The end is so hard. It does sound like the normal, healthy grieving process. Those of us that have divorced can relate. Definitely feel free to get support here and reach out to your family and friends- they are so valuable as you go through this.

I don't understand the negativity in comments such as she is dead to you, and to not go easy on her- she is probably hurting just as much too. After my divorce with my ex we continued to talk sporadically about the demise of the relationship, what we did wrong and how we learned from our mistakes. It helped us put things in the proper perspective and was also a good form of support because who knows what you are going through better than someone going through it? Speaking with her may not be an option, it worked for me and my ex but I realize that is an enigma in many respects, but maybe speaking with other people in a similar situation or a support group will certainly speed up the healing process.

Just listen to your heart and know this is the end, but it also signals the beginning of something new. And that can be quite the adventure too.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:42 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,302 times
Quote:
Some time ago, I discussed how my wife and I disagreed on relocating to her home state. I've explained time and again that I can't leave my job or resources to move some place where I don't know the people or the job market. She has told me that she was miserable here...
Well, she went back home. My emotions are very mixed - no more fighting and arguing (Good), but I'm feeling alone without her (Bad). She has told me that she loves me, and I love her too, but too many changes in our marriage. The intimacy, long gone. Counseling...what counseling? (She refused to go).
I just want for her to be happy; I believe that she is happy as she is back home with her family. But now I'm a basket case! I knew that the marriage would end (irreconcilable differences), but tonight, I feel remorseful.
I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Hugs to you.

As a side note, I'd wonder why she refused counseling. Usually it either means she wants the marriage to end, or, she doesn't, but subconsciously fears that by attending counseling, she would be forced to admit that she has done wrong.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:04 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post

As a side note, I'd wonder why she refused counseling. Usually it either means she wants the marriage to end, or, she doesn't, but subconsciously fears that by attending counseling, she would be forced to admit that she has done wrong.
Or maybe HE had done something wrong. OR maybe she knew counseling would be a waste of time, for whatever reason.

We don't know - or need to know - the gory details. But blaming the wife is an assumption. All we do know is that she is gone after zero intimacy for a long time....

Old 07-15-2014, 11:27 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
Quote:
Holy crap, your situation sounds just like mine with my ex-wife in '08. Now for the rest of the story, I left our house and my job to move and be with her. She was never the same towards me, and our intimacy slowly evaporated. One year later she asked for a divorce. Please consider yourself before giving up all you have, because for me it was absolutely not worth it.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:32 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
You chose your job over your marriage? Is your job really more important to you than your wife? You can always find another job...but a wife can be hard to come by. Think about it.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:38 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
You chose your job over your marriage? Is your job really more important to you than your wife? You can always find another job...but a wife can be hard to come by. Think about it.

She chose that where she lived is more important than their marriage. What does that tell you?

Old 07-15-2014, 11:58 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
She chose that where she lived is more important than their marriage. What does that tell you?
I dunno. But he says he "doesn't know the people or the job market" in her home town. Did he even make an effort to see what the job market was like and if he could live there?

Frankly, I like where I live, and I never want to move. But if I made a lifetime commitment to someone and they were miserable in my current area, I'd at least make a genuine effort to see if there was a way I could be happy and employed in an area where they would be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships