Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:59 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times

Advertisements

People get bored and hearts change over time; its the way of life.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:01 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Chores? Married or single there are chores to be done, laundry, cleaning, cooking. It all has to be done regardless of dating status.
And at least in a couple, there's someone to share the load. When you're single, it's always your turn to take the trash out.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:02 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
Many marriages can be bad. But it's more the people. If someone is selfish prior to a serious relationship, they will probably still be selfish after they get in it. And, as stated in another thread, some have a warped view of love, and think it's supposed to always be easy. So when it gets hard--those minor issues sometimes, they just as soon divorce or split than really work on things.

It's like dating. Some have a hard time, and always talk about being alone and single, but haven't tried to improve themselves and be someone that another person would want. They expect a woman or man to fall at their feet. Very rarely does that happen.

So it's mainly the people that want instant gratification, and are selfish who make relationships seems horrid.

Of course a relationship has cons, that's normal. But with the right person, it will work. Not over night sometimes, but you will be happy. As someone said "It's not always easy, but it is worth it"--if you have the right partner.

Relationships have downfall, but they have positives as well, provided you don't just settle for anything.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:06 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
I don't know what I'm expecting. I'm 28, never been in a serious relationship, maybe I'm growing cynical and a bit bitter, or have given up, or am just jaded, but it seems to me, many relationships, whether casual or SO's, married/in a long term RS, don't really make life all that much better. I mean, there are obvious downsides, depending on the people, hassles.etc, and for many the main focus just seems to be sex anyway. It often seems these days it's more like two friends with benefits rather than anything that sentimental. Also, a lot of people in them seem selfish, and all too willing to end it over some minor misdemeanour, it seems kind of selfish in a way. No wonder over half of marriages end these days.

I think I'd rather be single than have a naggy girlfriend or wife (not to sound sexist), or a life which revolves around chores. I know life can't be one big party, but I don't know, I wonder if the humdrum existence would make the initial spark wear thin after awhile.
Chores??? You have to do them anyway...and when there are 2 of you (or in my case, 6 of us) you don't have to do nearly as much. Today I have to cook dinner and do about 2 loads of laundry. That's it. Everyone else is pitching in (bathrooms, dusting, vacuuming, feeding pets, emptying dishwasher, doing dishes..etc).

As for making life better? Well it does for us and our life is FAR from humdrum. I actually wouldn't mind a little monotony every now and again . The main focus of our relationship is not sex, it's being a partner to one another. It's nice to know someone always has my back, will step up to the plate when I need help, is there to have fun with me, to deal with the difficultly life throws at me..ect. and I do the same for him. Of course it's not all going to be flowers and unicorns. We had a fight the other night, but we laughed about it afterwards

You haven't found the right person yet. That person will compliment your life, not compete with it. They won't nag you, unless of course you act and live like a child (I assume you don't?).

Old 07-16-2014, 08:30 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,637,781 times
It's not just you. I recall a study rating happiness which found for gals it went single, divorced, then married being the least happy. As well as another study stating what I see as a big portion of gal regretting getting married.

Most of the married gals I know existence appears to be working at the job then coming home to work while their concerns/complaints about this unequal labor division are dismissed as nagging. While most nights end with being coerced into having non pleasurable non orgasmic sex when she doesn't want to under the guise of him wanting intimacy.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:35 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
I don't know what I'm expecting. I'm 28, never been in a serious relationship
/end woman-bashing post because yes, it's you

Don't worry. You'll probably never have to worry about any of it, much less a "naggy" girlfriend or wife.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:01 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Marriage is a partnership. If you understand that you can have a good one.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:05 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,469 times
Lightbulb Wow...I Must have Misread My Amtrak Ticket

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

I got married...I'll go further---been married FOUR count 'em FOUR times...current wife is the love of my life...saw no reason whatsoever to whine and b***h about women between marriages

I got off my a** and learned from my mistakes and got it right, and didn't come on a chat forum blubbering about marriage for men being stupid

I'm not here telling everyone to get married, based on MY marriage working, nor am I here to tell folk how to live their lives...not even close

[Orphaned]

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-16-2014 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-16-2014, 09:08 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
I don't know what I'm expecting. I'm 28, never been in a serious relationship, maybe I'm growing cynical and a bit bitter, or have given up, or am just jaded, but it seems to me, many relationships, whether casual or SO's, married/in a long term RS, don't really make life all that much better. I mean, there are obvious downsides, depending on the people, hassles.etc, and for many the main focus just seems to be sex anyway. It often seems these days it's more like two friends with benefits rather than anything that sentimental. Also, a lot of people in them seem selfish, and all too willing to end it over some minor misdemeanour, it seems kind of selfish in a way. No wonder over half of marriages end these days.

I think I'd rather be single than have a naggy girlfriend or wife (not to sound sexist), or a life which revolves around chores. I know life can't be one big party, but I don't know, I wonder if the humdrum existence would make the initial spark wear thin after awhile.
I've spent the past twenty-one years building an entire life with my wife which includes children, houses, pets and more memories than I could ever have imagined existed beforehand.

Yes, I have chores. Yes, sometimes my wife can nag and even be downright nasty to me. And yes, sometimes the various routines become a bit staid and boring. But the moments of pure joy, excitement and satisfaction that are prevalent in my life are so worth all of it.

If you only focus on the downside of any situation in life you can easily justify avoiding it. But you wouldn't be living, just existing.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:13 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,398,974 times
Do you not do laundry or the dishes because you're single?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships