Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:36 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times

Advertisements

This book was recommended to me to read and I thought I'd share some points I've gleaned from it thus far:

1. The greatest predictor of whether a marriage will be successful is how the couple handles conflict or disagreements. Wait, I already said that in the title, didn't I? Oh well, I'm saying it again and this time, adding that the book says that there is more than one way to handle conflict in a marriage that is successful (3 ways to be precise). You'll have to read the book to find out the three different ways. It claims that any other way leads to divorce. It describes them in a fair amount of detail. A couple of them surprised me.

2. Along with proper conflict management, there must be a PRECISE ratio of positive (not neutral, positive) moments vs. negative moments together that is 5:1. Anything more or less will result in divorce. Again, read the book if you want more details.

3. If one or both of the couple starts experiencing one of The Four Horsemen: criticism, contempt, defensiveness, or withdrawal, you're on a slippery slope that will lead to divorce. The book gives ways to identify and avoid this.

If done right, all of these things make the couple feel like their marriage is good/happy, even if not perfect, and, therefore, they stay together forever.

This is how the book defines a successful marriage.

That's all I've got so far.

link if you're interested.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by srjth; 07-17-2014 at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 04:02 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Without even reading the OP I recall a statement - We only know our best in how we handle our worst.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:18 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
"There are two ways to deal with women. Neither of them works.". Will Rodgers

Old 07-18-2014, 06:37 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Forgive me, that's Wiil ROGERS

Old 07-18-2014, 10:58 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,602,182 times
Does it go into maintaining intimacy/sex etc? Or is it assumed that if conflict is handled properly, that those issues can too be discussed in a productive way?

My wife and I have a pretty good sex life, and also try to maintain physical intimacy outside of intercourse, such as trying to kiss and even "make out" at times - which many couples don't do anymore. It keeps us interested in each other.

When we're having a "dry spell" intimately, we do seem to argue more - nothing major typically, but we do seem to be a bit more on each others' nerves than when our sex life is running high. Not sure the cause/effect, but they may actually play off each other somewhat.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:31 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
When we're having a "dry spell" intimately, we do seem to argue more - nothing major typically, but we do seem to be a bit more on each others' nerves than when our sex life is running high. Not sure the cause/effect, but they may actually play off each other somewhat.
I think most couples are like this. When there's a lack of intimacy there are feeling of resentment and the closeness of being a couple dwindles. Anyone that says intimacy is not important in a relationship is either a dried up old prune or fooling themselves.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:34 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,815 times
Well yeah I think how to problem solve and how to handle conflict are important because most people bail out on relationship due to a problem and not working together on it. That's part of the reason I will never live with someone until I am legally married.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:00 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
To me, that's not a predictor in and of itself. Instead, it's a manifestation of the three critical factors in any relationship:

1) Mutual chemistry
2) Mutual respect
3) Mutual values.

The handling of conflicts is really putting the cart before the horse. If you have mutual values, it really cuts down on the number of conflicts you'll have in the first place. If you have mutual respect, then you will discuss whatever differences you have like two civilized adults.

And if you have mutual chemistry, you'll have great make-up sex, which means you'll forget what you were arguing about in the first place.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:10 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,269 times
John Gottman has researched couples for decades in the Pacific Northwest. He literally invites them to his home (laboratory), plugs them in audio, video, and a number of other graphs (sweat, heart rate, blood pressure), and lets them go pretend they are home from Friday night to Sunday night. His theories are borne out time and again. He puts a big emphasis on communication. I've used his books in session as bibliotherapy. Yeah, he's right on.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:30 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
Does it go into maintaining intimacy/sex etc? Or is it assumed that if conflict is handled properly, that those issues can too be discussed in a productive way?

My wife and I have a pretty good sex life, and also try to maintain physical intimacy outside of intercourse, such as trying to kiss and even "make out" at times - which many couples don't do anymore. It keeps us interested in each other.

The book said that more sex does necessarily not make a better marriage. It said that what matters more is that you are in agreement on what is acceptable in regards to sex (i.e. frequency of sex and kind of sex, etc).

Sex is just one of the potential things, albeit a common one, that couples can have conflict over. What matters is how you handle the conflict about sex, and it has to be in one of the 3 ways the book described in order for the marriage to be successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
John Gottman has researched couples for decades in the Pacific Northwest. He literally invites them to his home (laboratory), plugs them in audio, video, and a number of other graphs (sweat, heart rate, blood pressure), and lets them go pretend they are home from Friday night to Sunday night. His theories are borne out time and again. He puts a big emphasis on communication. I've used his books in session as bibliotherapy. Yeah, he's right on.
Cool, you're a fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships