Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 07:22 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,186,834 times

Advertisements

Dating has been the same for me since I started liking guys. One-sided. I like them, they aren't interested. They like me-rarely-and I am not interested.

Or the rare mutuals- We both dislike each other, or are indifferent.

Thus far, nothing new has happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 07:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,532,015 times
I agree, it's very much a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:40 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,537,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
In my apartment complex, there are a lot of single women over 40 who are divorced. I'll run into a lot of them at community events and often the subject of conversation will turn to dating. One thing I hear pretty consistently is how 40 becomes this cutoff, the age where women suddenly become invisible to men. I personally don't believe that, but a lot of these women did. I've also met men who said the same thing about 50, that once they turned 50, women stopped paying attention to them. I haven't reached 40 yet. And while dating in my 30s is very different than it was in my 20s, I don't remember it being a sudden change.

What's your experience been? Did you reach an age where you suddenly felt like dating changed? And it doesn't have to be in a bad way. Maybe you hit some age where suddenly you had lots of dating options that you didn't have before. I'm just curious to hear what people have gone through as they hit certain milestone birthdays and what kinds of changes they noticed.
It's hard for me to say given the factors involved. I am 45, and in a relationship, and I don't get out as much as I used to. These play a role in my invisibility. But it wasn't all that long ago that I was out there on the dating scene (online) and it wasn't bad at all. I think I had options, but I created them by going online in the first place. I might not do as well at a nightclub.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:02 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,334,032 times
Change:

It is the age where you as a man ----------have a prestigious profession, good income, and come from a non-dysfunctional educated family.

If you are low on the food chain and not very good looking then you are stuck. Women unconsciously want successful men.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:51 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,634,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
I think alot of it has to do with what women are told - 40! Oh no ! Who cares ! It's mainly the media just constantly putting unnecessary pressure on women, look at the glamor magazines they constantly have gloom & doom articles about turning 40. These articles so ridiculous because the writers make such lame attempts saying, "women it will be ok to be 40" I'm thinking really I didn't even know it was a problem, why is the media creating one ? And Hollywood says actresses over 40 have a hard time finding roles.
Give women some credit for intelligence. If they're feeling invisible after a certain age, I doubt it's because the media brainwashed them into thinking that. I asked some of my female over 40 friends if they felt this way as well and why 40 had so much significance as opposed to 35 or 45. Here's the gist of what I was told. One, a lot of the men they meet, even men in their 50s, want kids or at least want the option to have kids. These men think a woman over 40 can't have kids. Two, the men they see online state 39 as their cutoff. Most women will complain that they get tons of messages on dating sites. But these women I talked to all said they saw a huge dropoff in the number of messages they got once they turned 40. They said the only men they now get messages from are young guys looking for cougars or guys over 55. Rarely do they get a message from a man in his 40s.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:52 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,847,840 times
Quote:
In my apartment complex, there are a lot of single women over 40 who are divorced. I'll run into a lot of them at community events and often the subject of conversation will turn to dating. One thing I hear pretty consistently is how 40 becomes this cutoff, the age where women suddenly become invisible to men. I personally don't believe that, but a lot of these women did. I've also met men who said the same thing about 50, that once they turned 50, women stopped paying attention to them. I haven't reached 40 yet. And while dating in my 30s is very different than it was in my 20s, I don't remember it being a sudden change.

What's your experience been? Did you reach an age where you suddenly felt like dating changed? And it doesn't have to be in a bad way. Maybe you hit some age where suddenly you had lots of dating options that you didn't have before. I'm just curious to hear what people have gone through as they hit certain milestone birthdays and what kinds of changes they noticed.
I would say around 35 to 40, a lot of women can't attract men like they used to. Which is basically just go about their daily business or lives and have men become proactively interested in them and approach them.

It will still happen just not as much as it used to.

For guys, less so. I think men's physical attractiveness lasts longer ASSUMING (big one) they can stay in good physical body shape.

For a lot of guys, they never get a significant amount of women hitting on them, so what difference does it make if you get older and no longer have that?

That's true for a few women too.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:57 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,985,766 times
I was able to date in my 20s. I could schedule a date pretty much whenever I felt the need to.

Around age 30, it all changed, for the worse. It'll never be the same again, and I'll probably never know what it's like to be on another date.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:04 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,728,374 times
Quote:

After my second husband, who passed away.

I suddenly found that dating had become incredibly shallow, selfish, and silly perhaps due to the culture having become that way, or maybe that the men were becoming that way, or maybe I was seeing them that way and they hadn't actually changed one iota.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:25 PM

113 posts, read 111,463 times
I just dont understand the flat out denial that women become less attractive as they age. I'm sorry, I don't care if you feel sexier than ever at 40, you were hotter at 22 I promise you.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:35 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,715,042 times
After my divorce in the mid-90s. The women I met were more interested in having fun than commitment. Eventually, i fell in love with one of them and she did with me. We still have fun even though we have both become committed to our relationship. Neither of us had it so good before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships