Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:48 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
I have had more dates from POF then all the other sites combined. Not sure why, but it works. With that said. Its a numbers game, and that makes it a beat. People still lie about age, post old pics, etc. Finding a person that is compattable is difficult, the biggest thing is finding a woman with funny, outgoing personality. I have actuallys switched to only trying to meet women in sales. Im in sales, and I know at the least the should have a out going personality.
After 2 months and numerous dates, Im about to take a break. FYI. Im not that picky but I have to have a person that can carry on a good conversation.
So you have low standards, in that case POF is probably ok for you...the rest of us guys, it's horrible. If you weigh less than all the women that message you, you know there's a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny4mythoughts View Post
I've tried dating sites, including Pof and my biggest issue was that 99% of the guys were not able to engage in interesting conversation. Most of the initial msgs just say "hi"... but what really irritated me was after we've been talking for a while, the next day or so you are still msging me "hi". It was extremely rare that I found a guy with interesting or humorous conversation or even a guy than could reply with more than 1 or 2 words.
Because the guys that used to put effort into it got tired of never being replied to so we gave up. It's a broken system. Online dating hasn't evolved it's still the same as it was at the dawn of the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 12:38 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
POF and OKCupid are good mostly for getting laid with relative ease. A disproportionate amount of girls I've met online and banged on the first "date" were from those two sites. That's not to say that match isn't without it's sleaze BUT with Match it's been about 50/50. Girls I meet off the two former it's pretty much a guarantee that first date will end in sex. In some cases it doesn't end with sex but begins with sex haha.

I live in the upstate of SC to give you an idea of my social demographic.

1. Match - offers pretty much all the quality girls. Although I've noticed it has begun to fester with some undesirables. Many of these girls already have a pretty solid social circle and I'm convinced are using Match more often than not to either a. Find a guy who fits what they want to a T or just trying to see how many messages they can get to bolster their self esteem.

2. POF - HAD a decent balance of good and bad. Has slipped to now about 75% bad, 25% good. The problem on POF is girls both good and bad are very short with their profiles. Aside from the required questionnaire style information and a picture most of them don't put much info or effort into their profiles. This has led me to believe that POF is simply a hook up site. At least it's free though.

3. OKcupid - A LOT of fat older women with kids or skinny older women missing their front teeth......with kids. You get the occasional girl with a BA or higher, no kids and is pretty cute BUT I'm sure she gets bombarded with messages and gives up sadly. Ironically the girls off OKCupid I've gone out with, slept with, or dated for a minute or two are the ones whose match% is less than 50. Any girl with a match% over 80% I write and never hear from. Kinda odd.

Last edited by greenvillebuckeye; 06-26-2015 at 12:46 AM..

Old 06-26-2015, 10:52 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,659,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny4mythoughts View Post
I've tried dating sites, including Pof and my biggest issue was that 99% of the guys were not able to engage in interesting conversation. Most of the initial msgs just say "hi"... but what really irritated me was after we've been talking for a while, the next day or so you are still msging me "hi". It was extremely rare that I found a guy with interesting or humorous conversation or even a guy than could reply with more than 1 or 2 words.
I think messaging more then a few times is a waste. You need to do a meet and greet soon to see if there is chemistry or if you should move on.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:53 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,659,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
So you have low standards, in that case POF is probably ok for you...the rest of us guys, it's horrible. If you weigh less than all the women that message you, you know there's a problem.

Because the guys that used to put effort into it got tired of never being replied to so we gave up. It's a broken system. Online dating hasn't evolved it's still the same as it was at the dawn of the internet.

Low standards. Why? Because I need a woman that can carry a converstation. I met plenty of attractive women, but I need attractive and a personalty.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:59 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,113 times
My brother, who didn't seem like the type to use online dating, landed his current girlfriend through POF. He had never used the site before. She will likely be my future sister-in-law. I'm amazed how easy it was for him.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:23 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
POF and OKCupid are good mostly for getting laid with relative ease. A disproportionate amount of girls I've met online and banged on the first "date" were from those two sites. That's not to say that match isn't without it's sleaze BUT with Match it's been about 50/50. Girls I meet off the two former it's pretty much a guarantee that first date will end in sex. In some cases it doesn't end with sex but begins with sex haha.

1. Match - offers pretty much all the quality girls. Although I've noticed it has begun to fester with some undesirables. Many of these girls already have a pretty solid social circle and I'm convinced are using Match more often than not to either a. Find a guy who fits what they want to a T or just trying to see how many messages they can get to bolster their self esteem.

2. POF - HAD a decent balance of good and bad. Has slipped to now about 75% bad, 25% good. The problem on POF is girls both good and bad are very short with their profiles. Aside from the required questionnaire style information and a picture most of them don't put much info or effort into their profiles. This has led me to believe that POF is simply a hook up site. At least it's free though.

3. OKcupid - A LOT of fat older women with kids or skinny older women missing their front teeth......with kids. You get the occasional girl with a BA or higher, no kids and is pretty cute BUT I'm sure she gets bombarded with messages and gives up sadly. Ironically the girls off OKCupid I've gone out with, slept with, or dated for a minute or two are the ones whose match% is less than 50. Any girl with a match% over 80% I write and never hear from. Kinda odd.
Just about all my sex came from OKC with a match less than 60%. I've went out on a date or two with someone with a match percentage over 80%, but it just never went anywhere.

Match has given me the worst luck so far. Only actually met 4 people off the site. Only managed 1 date with one, 1 date with another, an FWB with a another, and 3 dates with the fourth. It's the worst, because I'm actually paying for it. I only do it for a month at a time, so my investment has been pretty crappy, but I've started to see that most of the profiles I see are the same ones on POF and OKC.

I just reactivated my OKC profile after leaving it idle for 3 weeks and well over 90% of the profiles are the same ones from 6 months ago. They're also mostly the same profiles on POF too.

If your area isn't big enough to churn dating profiles, you're usually viewing the same profiles for years on and off. The same can be said about my profile too. I've been off and on for years too.

I do agree, most of my sex has came from POF and OKC. Some short-term relationships here and there, but I'd say POF is definitely a hook up site and OKC is more of a relationship site with hookup as the cancelation prize.

The last time I had anything serious from POF happened 3 years ago this upcoming September and I've been trying for something serious. Just eh same profiles saying the same crap about they aren't there for a hookup, but their profiles pics are them showing off cleavage, how they are working out their stomach to get smaller, and their legs. Sure, you're just not here for a hookup with any dude, but you'll take the hookup from the cute dude with hopes of it turning into something special.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:50 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,678,870 times
Quote:

What? You are on all of those sites?...and NOT AFF?

I lived in Fountain Inn myself for almost 3 years. Did the POF thing for a week. Ran for the exit screaming!! after 1 week.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:47 PM

479 posts, read 431,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PachucodeOro View Post
So I got bored and decided to try it out and.....WOW! these women are crazy! they want the perfect man lol no wonder they are single.....because they are crazy!
I've thought the same thing about some of the men I encountered on the online dating site I used to used.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:25 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:

Actually the free sites have the most women that are just on there for a self esteem booster. If a woman is a subscriber on one of the pay sites to me that shows she's at least trying to not be a total flake.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
My worst PoF experience was the guy who I repeadity asked if he was interested in more than just sex and he, over and over again, said no, it wasn't just about the sex and after one late night of so/so action he peaced out. And then had the guts to text a few months later with "Hey, how's it going?" I was not, or will I ever be, one of the girls on a dating site to get need to get laid. FWIW, I've actually dated (like more than two dates) more men from Tinder than any of the other sites (PoF, OkCupid, Match...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships