Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 07:22 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times

Advertisements

I've talked to many women who have walked away from their abusers with nothing. Their credit tanked and they accumulated debt during these relationships. They were already convinced they were worthless during the relationship. When they walk away with nothing, bad credit and a ton of debt, they feel unmarketable in the dating arena.

How many of you men would take their circumstances into consideration and be willing to take a chance with one of these women? If so, why? If not, why?

For those of you who have taken a chance with one of these women, how did it turn out?

I'm posing this question to various people in various places for a project I'm working on so, please, please, please try and stay on topic. Thanks and eat your greens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 07:39 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
I would be more concerned with whether they've fully recovered emotionally than financially. Someone who just escaped a bad relationship probably isn't ready to get back into another one. As for the debt, people end up in debt for all kinds of reasons. Maybe they got sick and racked up expensive health care bills that they weren't able to pay off. So while a person's financial status does matter, it's important to look at context. Are they in debt because of circumstances they couldn't control? Or did they just spend too much trying to live a lifestyle they couldn't afford? We look at a person's past, in part, to predict their future behavior. Someone who spends too much is unlikely to change. But someone who lost everything because of a bad marriage or health care issues can't be held responsible for that. I have to admit, though, knowing that a person is in deep debt and has bad credit would be give me pause. Not because I see it as a character flaw, but simply because I would be worried the person might be looking for someone to help her. That's not to say I would flat out refuse to date such a person. I would simply be more cautious.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I've talked to many women who have walked away from their abusers with nothing. Their credit tanked and they accumulated debt during these relationships. They were already convinced they were worthless during the relationship. When they walk away with nothing, bad credit and a ton of debt, they feel unmarketable in the dating arena.

How many of you men would take their circumstances into consideration and be willing to take a chance with one of these women? If so, why? If not, why?

For those of you who have taken a chance with one of these women, how did it turn out?

I'm posing this question to various people in various places for a project I'm working on so, please, please, please try and stay on topic. Thanks and eat your greens.
Call me heartless, but no. It would have little to do with the domestic violence but their financial state. I'm getting my financial self together. I think dating someone who is in even worse financial state than I am is going back to square one on that deal. Just no.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:57 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
My husband (wasnt my husband then) took me right after an abusive relationship. I had nothing. The doodle even stole the cat litter box. We were both young so credit, money, etc really wasnt on our minds at the time. We made it work with help of family and got married that fall.

Emotionally I ready because i knew my husband was way more stable than the **** ever could be!

Old 07-25-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Call me heartless, but no. It would have little to do with the domestic violence but their financial state. I'm getting my financial self together. I think dating someone who is in even worse financial state than I am is going back to square one on that deal. Just no.
It's not heartless to want to preserve your financial well being.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:36 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times
I made that mistake with my now-ex-wife. I rescued her from an abusive marriage. I discovered that she still has emotional baggage and much as I tried to make things smooth for us, our marriage did not work (See the thread "Sitting here in tears"). It's really no one's fault...we just had our differences and decided to call it quits.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I made that mistake with my now-ex-wife. I rescued her from an abusive marriage. I discovered that she still has emotional baggage and much as I tried to make things smooth for us, our marriage did not work (See the thread "Sitting here in tears"). It's really no one's fault...we just had our differences and decided to call it quits.
Many of these people, men and women alike, have issues they need to work on before moving on to the next person, definitely. The trauma-bond is a hard one to break.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:47 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
How does dating them affect your financial state? It's not like you're marrying them.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:05 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
for dating, yes i would. if for no other reason than to help them get over the mental issues they would have developed during their abusive relationship, so that they know that they too can have a proper loving relationship that is beneficial to them as well as their prospective partner.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:25 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,203 times
No, not until she got herself together--mentally and financially. Coming out of a domestic violent relationship isn't an amiable breakup and takes some time to recover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships