Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:01 PM

898 posts, read 937,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Yes, and if things don't work out, I'm sure you'll be back here complaining about how they wasted your time and money.
Shall we schedule a date for Thursday evening then? We'll get right back to where we left off.

You bring the wine. I'll bring some Scotch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 12:17 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
Sometimes I think we get really caught up on the idea of having other people like us. So we go a great distance out of our way to try and live up to another person's expectation of what we think they want to see from us. I've made myself feel so put down and left out so many times by the idea of not being accepted by somebody else. But at the same time, I was compromising on who I am. That's not fair to either me or the person I'm with at the moment.

The fact of the matter is that you should continue being yourself. Don't try to fit somebody else's mold by acting how you think you should act for them to like you. Keep being who you are and the end result should be that you'll attract somebody who likes you for you.

Now keep in mind, this doesn't mean that you should maintain bad habits. There may be actual things that you're doing that's hurting your chances at finding the one. And if you can get feedback, that is great. After a date that doesn't work out, feel free to ask the other person if there was anything you did that was off putting or a turn off. If they're a decent person, they should provide some quality feedback.

I hope somebody can take away something from my mistakes. Good luck out there! It's tough but ultimately worth it if you find the right fit.
By definition, what you describe is authenticity.

For any relationship to be happy and abundant both people need to be who they are, respect their own needs/wants as autonomous and content human beings.

Picture a ven diagram. Both circles join somewhere in the middle. Both circles remain autonomous and "whole" while sharing some important similar qualities that overlap. Not quite mathematics, but you get the point which I think most people tend to forget since they conform to what society or social pressure wants them to be but they are not.

Happy healthy relationships depend on how authentic both people are with themselves and others. Yup!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships