Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:10 PM

24 posts, read 18,850 times

Advertisements

Quick summary, grad college majoring in bio, wanted to take a break from school and just worked. During that time I worked as a salesman and now hospital. I just work and saved, pay off my loans, while I figure out what I wanted to do with my life. Its about a year now so I am thinking about doing an informal post bac to get my grades more competitive and apply to dental school. My dad has a history of being a douche and when I moved back home same old ****. I was happy being away home in college and hardly came home. Anyways My idea was I didn't wanna go back to school just to go, not knowing what I want to do, take out more loans, plus I didn't have the drive and I needed to do better in school to be competitive. So it would have been a bad idea to just continue with courses straight out of college and get subpar grades like I did in undergrad. Be a waste of time and money. He just wants me to choose a career even if I don't like it just so he doesn't have to worry about me anymore I suppose.

My dad was pissed that I didn't go back to school right away, blah blah, said mean ****, but whatever. During those times I was real stress and frustrated, was actually pretty depressed to be honest. I am very friendly and talk to my parents before alot, specifically my mom, my dad would be less of a douche, but I wouldn't take it seriously. Now a days, after going back home, I decided to stop talking to my dad and avoided him as much as possible, which helped me keep my sanity. I mean I get where he is coming from since I am living under his roof, using his electricity, getting my car insurance paid for, getting free food. It wasn't like I was doing nothing, I was working alot shadowing different professions to see what I wanted. Alot of college grads now adays have to move back home with their parents, with a terrible job market and such. My dad was real pissed when I got my hospital job saying I am wasting my time and to go back to school etc... I view it as financial independence, work closely with doctors and nurses see if I wanted to do that, get letters of rec if need be. The kanye west song when he says "na na na na wait till I get my money right, na na na na then you can't tell me nothing aite!" really speaks to how I feel atm. I could just go live with some friends, but the free rent and free food is nice, plus since I am going back to school again i will be really low on cash and don't want all my money going to rent, gas, and food. Alot of my distant relatives judge people alot so he hears alot of gossip and relative parents asking me what I am doing with my life, to be a doctor, so my dad probably gets even harder on me. My dad never paid for any of my education or anything when I was in college. Anyways my dad is making me pay for **** now such as my car insurance atm, threatening to kick me out of the house, just feels like real bad timing since I am going back to school, but it is what it is. Kinda regret majoring in biology, always hearing parents saying be a doctor thats where you need to be etc.., its freaking hard and I rather just get a degree like accounting or something like my other friends and have financial independence from my parents straight out of undergrad. I haven't talked to my dad for awhile and if he kicks me out of the house, I will probably never talk to him again. My older brother who is 30 and a doctor never talks to my dad as he was just a douche, so if two of your kids don't talk to you, something is wrong. My brother says I am doing the right thing to just work and figure out what I wanted. He recommends me to not go into medical field and to do whatever I want in life. He says don't listen to everyone talking about you, telling you to do this and that cause its your life and you are the one that has to live with it not them. After being away in college I am not so narrow minded in my thinking and alot more social, but now I just feel like I should just shut up and do as I am told. A man doesn't complain he just does. Am I just being a spoiled brat and should just move out of my parents house and live the hard life? What should I do to better my current life situation?

Last edited by lovers1234; 07-28-2014 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 12:26 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
From the information above, you are wrong.
It comes across that you want to have the free room and board, have your car insurance paid for etc. so you can "find yourself" or whatever the current term is.

You have no dicernable ambition or direction, just vauge "go to dental school". Getting a job in sales and paying your student loans is great, but not when you aren't paying for the basics of life. If you want your father to lighten up, start paying rent and your share of groceries and utilities. Buy your own insurance.
You were complaining that he wasn't fully supporting you because you decided to take a vacation instead of finishing school. Your choice, but don't expect him to have to support you financially when you make that kind of choice.

You don't want all your money to go to rent and food etc? Welcome to the real world. Most people can't afford the newest styles of clothes or a new car every year, or the money to party with friends or shop for luxuries, they have to pay for the stuff you take for granted.

You're putting the onus on him when he tries to push you out of the nest. You have to learn to take care of yourself sooner or later, and the sooner you decide to get off your butt and actually apply yourself, the better it will be for all of your family.

I worked 2 jobs while carrying a full credit load when I went through school, and while my wife worked to pay the rent, I covered everything else.
Find a goal, make a choice, follow through.

If you want to stay in a high school mentality for the rest of your life, you will soon learn a hard lesson. Just because others have trouble finding a job right out of school should tell you that you need to work harder, not just accept that it's tough out there. It has always been tough.

Grow up, pull up your big girl panties, and go to work.

It's time to learn to fly on your own little bird.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
From the information above, you are wrong.
It comes across that you want to have the free room and board, have your car insurance paid for etc. so you can "find yourself" or whatever the current term is.

You have no dicernable ambition or direction, just vauge "go to dental school". Getting a job in sales and paying your student loans is great, but not when you aren't paying for the basics of life. If you want your father to lighten up, start paying rent and your share of groceries and utilities. Buy your own insurance.
You were complaining that he wasn't fully supporting you because you decided to take a vacation instead of finishing school. Your choice, but don't expect him to have to support you financially when you make that kind of choice.

You don't want all your money to go to rent and food etc? Welcome to the real world. Most people can't afford the newest styles of clothes or a new car every year, or the money to party with friends or shop for luxuries, they have to pay for the stuff you take for granted.

You're putting the onus on him when he tries to push you out of the nest. You have to learn to take care of yourself sooner or later, and the sooner you decide to get off your butt and actually apply yourself, the better it will be for all of your family.

I worked 2 jobs while carrying a full credit load when I went through school, and while my wife worked to pay the rent, I covered everything else.
Find a goal, make a choice, follow through.

If you want to stay in a high school mentality for the rest of your life, you will soon learn a hard lesson. Just because others have trouble finding a job right out of school should tell you that you need to work harder, not just accept that it's tough out there. It has always been tough.

Grow up, pull up your big girl panties, and go to work.

It's time to learn to fly on your own little bird.
Very true. I don't get by what you mean when you say "take a vacation instead of finishing school" since I already graduated with a biology degree and finished school already. The thought of living in my car and going to 24 hour fitness to wash up sounds very appealing to me. Since I won't have to spend half my paycheck on rent. Plus its not like I spend my money, I just save and it goes to rent and eating out sometimes.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:39 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovers1234 View Post
Am I just being a spoiled brat and should just move out of my parents house and live the hard life? What should I do to better my current life situation?
Yes, you are quite the spoiled brat, and you should be supporting yourself at this point in life.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yes, you are quite the spoiled brat, and you should be supporting yourself at this point in life.
thank you for the very helpful advice

Old 07-28-2014, 12:52 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
, wanted to take a break from school.....while I figure out what I wanted to do with my life..... apply to dental school..... didn't wanna go back to school just to go, not knowing what I want to do....I didn't have the drive and I needed to do better in school to be competitive. So it would have been a bad idea to just continue with courses straight out of college

My dad was pissed that I didn't go back to school right away,.....and alot more social,
Then apply your degree to get a job, or you haven't finished school, one or the other.
You stated you have a job, so rent on your own or get roommates to split costs like everyone else if you don't want to live at home. Nothing was said about living out of your car.

I have a lot of sympathy for your father. I can see he's had a hard job trying to get you to grow up and accept responsibility for your own life.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:00 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
In another post you say "'I am going back to school and don't wanna be the same old guy from undergrad. "

What are you doing to make that happen?

Old 07-28-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
In another post you say "'I am going back to school and don't wanna be the same old guy from undergrad. "

What are you doing to make that happen?
Talk is cheap so I will see what happens, but it begins with going back to school and getting **** straight.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Then apply your degree to get a job, or you haven't finished school, one or the other.
You stated you have a job, so rent on your own or get roommates to split costs like everyone else if you don't want to live at home. Nothing was said about living out of your car.

I have a lot of sympathy for your father. I can see he's had a hard job trying to get you to grow up and accept responsibility for your own life.
I think the best course of action would be to just move out of my parents house, go back to school, and just gotta handle my business. Kinda wish I just majored in accounting, much easier subject and job straight out of college.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:16 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
I think the best course of action would be to just move out of my parents house, go back to school, and just gotta handle my business. Kinda wish I just majored in accounting, much easier subject and job straight out of college.

This appears to be normal for you, the easy way out but it doesn't quite work as easily as you may thing.
The job straight out of college is no guarantee either no matter what the major.

Why don't you move in with your Doctor Brother? See if he cover all of your expenses like your parents do.

Truly it is shameful that your Dad insists on you paying the insurance for your own vehicle, what in the world is he thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships