Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 06:01 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobaloba View Post
Absolutely, a lot of young women find it gross that an older guy (who is ugly) is attracted to her. However, the reason that's not "true" like the other statements is because there are enough instances where a guy who is less attractive than the woman works. We've ALL seen the guy who is a 5 with a woman who is an 8. Guys even get enraged about it like "what??!" And women will say "that's because he had a great personality." It's not a "truism" that no older guy can never get a younger woman because, as I said, for example, a 35-year-old woman will be open to a relationship with a 48-year-old man. Much more so than the reverse, trust me. That's just life. That's just a woman being realistic. That's not because it made me happy.
Could you PLEASE chime in on the next thread where some young fool says all that matters to women are a mans looks (give it a week and it will happen, trust me).

And I agree with what you say in this post. I dated a guy 12 years older than me and while he was cute to me in a rugged sort of way, he wasn't exactly the best looking man I dated (he was stocky, and a huge scar on his face over his eye). I found him attractive due to his personality, shared interests, and how he treated me. And he did look younger for his age and seemed physically younger.

But those instances aren't really all that common.

The Census doesn't track dating, but they track marriages and most people marry within a few years of each other. 75% of people marry within 5 years of each other's age. Although when one spouse is much older, it's usually the husband (so age "Favors" men for sure in that arena) This from the US Census:

Age Difference/Percentage

Husband 20+ years older than wife / 1.0
Husband 15-19 years older than wife / 1.6
Husband 10-14 years older than wife / 4.8
Husband 6-9 years older than wife /11.6
Husband 4-5 years older than wife /13.3
Husband 2-3 years older than wife / 20.4
Husband and wife within 1 year / 33.2
Wife 2-3 years older than husband / 6.5
Wife 4-5 years older than husband /3.3
Wife 6-9 years older than husband / 2.7
Wife 10-14 years older than husband /1.0
Wife 15-19 years older than husband / 0.3
Wife 20+ years older than husband / 0.3

Old 08-01-2014, 06:03 PM

214 posts, read 206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Could you PLEASE chime in on the next thread where some young fool says all that matters to women are a mans looks (give it a week and it will happen, trust me).
Don't get too happy, I said that women SAY it's personality and it can be, but it could also be money, which they won't say.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
But they are. If they're not, then why ask the question? Like, if you WEREN'T in competition for attention, then you wouldn't notice or care who was paying attention to who, right?
How are they in competition with each other? Back when I was dating - I didn't think of myself as being in competition with anyone. Why would I? I have no idea who men are paying attention to unless they are paying attention to me.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
How are they in competition with each other? Back when I was dating - I didn't think of myself as being in competition with anyone. Why would I? I have no idea who men are paying attention to unless they are paying attention to me.
You don't have to be aware of or participate in the competition. It just happens. I don't mean that women say "I'm going to beat that old 40-year-old!" You'll be in competition for attention with other women in general, just by the fact that you put on makeup and do your hair and so on. You know that.

Quote:
Don't get too happy, I said that women SAY it's personality and it can be, but it could also be money, which they won't say.
It's really about the whole package, not just one thing (no, it's not all personality either, you are right. Personality mean squat if you homeless couch surfing and mooching off family and friends... or personality can mean squat if you don't take care of yourself and let your body go to pot).

I'd say it's true with men too. Most really don't just care about looks in a woman. They want a woman with a good personality as well... and a woman who is good with money too and isn't charging up credit cards until bankruptcy, etc.

I am getting off subject though. But yeah, bring up resources in a thread like that. I mean some guys will literally fight tooth and nail that nothing else matters other than looks because they already make a lot of money and can't get dates.

Quote:
You don't have to be aware of or participate in the competition. It just happens. I don't mean that women say "I'm going to beat that old 40-year-old!" You'll be in competition for attention with other women in general, just by the fact that you put on makeup and do your hair and so on. You know that.
Then I guess I won.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Pfff... makeup and hair. That's for little girls. Let me out them in a jello fight and I will show some competition (lol, couldn't resist).

Old 08-01-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Then I guess I won.
If you mean you landed the guy you wanted, sure. But then you shouldn't care who guys hit on. I mean, I'm not married (I know, shocking, right? Beat you to it.), but if I was, why would I care what was going on ten feet away from me between two random people?

Old 08-01-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
If you mean you landed the guy you wanted, sure. But then you shouldn't care who guys hit on. I mean, I'm not married (I know, shocking, right? Beat you to it.), but if I was, why would I care what was going on ten feet away from me between two random people?
Just because you are "taken" (married, in a relationship, and such) doesn't stop guys from hitting on you. So yeah, this effects women who are in relationships too. And when it's someone old enough to be your dad or your grandfather, yeah, it's creepy. The same way I imagine it would feel creepy to you if one of your grandmother's friends came up and made a sexual suggestion to you.

But I can handle the old guys hitting on me (when I was a teen I couldn't, but now I can). My dog in this fight is the whole notion that women have no value after a certain age. If you hit 25, 35, 45 or 55... whatever... you are suddenly going to turn ugly. And the idea that no men are interested in you at all after whatever arbitrary age is picked. It's just such a left field idea that I can't help but debate. It's like someone coming along and saying all men go bald and therefore are not of interest to women after it happens... all women only want a man with a full head of hair and bald men have no market value. It's just not true that one can't help but debate it.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure why you think I care who guys hit on… I don't. If you care to read my posts in this thread - especially my first ones - they all pretty much say that men hit on younger women because they want to and that men hit on women that they find attractive. What I have been trying to say to some people on here (ahem) - is that older woman does not equal ugly/never hit on/worthless/old hag.

I don't care what men do. Was it flattering to get hit on all the time when I lived in the city? Most of the time. Other times it was creepy or scary or annoying. But it wasn't the guys age that made them creepy/scary/annoying and I don't think that it was only my age that made them hit on me since I lived in the city between the ages of 22 and 34 - and we all know that women turn all old and wrinkly after 25!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships