Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:00 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
The question was there for me, I answered the question, as centrist.

Wait, we're probably talking two different sections. I'm talking when you start answering the questions, you must mean just the profile part, but I find the question part more telling when I do the comparisons
Timberline and I were referring to the search page, the one that let's you enter criteria. But I do find the question part more revealing. I just wish mandatory meant "don't match me with anyone who doesn't give an acceptable answer."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:05 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
^ which is why I'm glad all those questions are on there. Some of them said creationism should be taught alongside evolution others of christian faith marked they thought not. But at the end of the day, I may be willing to talk to the person anyway to see how truly open minded they are, not every opinion is written in stone, people sometimes just haven't had a lot of exposure real world discussions and being challenged if people are too rigid, then I don't force and issue. Now this all depends on all the other positive qualities that exist that we share in common. Problem for me, I'm often more attracted to guys with strong belief systems.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:04 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
As an atheist myself, I know the danger in being too restrictive. You think you're filtering out some hardcore Christian, but for all you know, they may just be Christian in name only. But there are other OKC questions that I really wish did operate as a filter. For example, if someone says they think creationism should be taught in schools or thinks climate change is a hoax. Those are people I would gladly exclude, I don't care how much else we have in common or how great they look.
I excluded Christians in my search, but since there were quite a few non-religious, self-professing agnostic, atheist or nontheist men, it didn't negatively affect my results. I still had "options." Whereas a lot of men I interacted with, if they didn't live in a metro, diverse or progressive area, being so selective or restrictive negatively affected their results.

I'm a relative metaphysical atheist - agnostic pandeist, and was listed as "agnostic and laughing about it" on OKC. I couldn't date anyone who identified as even somewhat religious (spiritual in the Buddhist, Taoist or pantheist sense, sure), because there was always a belief or tenet that later reared its head and you discover you have incompatible worldviews. Some people who consider themselves Christian "but spiritual" may seem tolerant enough until you get on a topic and discover something you weren't expecting.

I briefly dated a guy who said he was "spiritual -- new age," and while he did have a lot of those beliefs, a sort of East meets West view (which is incompatible in my view, but whatever), and respected other beliefs and seemed new age-y. But when we touched on deep doctrinal and theological matters, he still clung to tenets and doctrines he was raised with and wholeheartedly believed in the biblical narrative and spiritual warfare. Yeah, no thanks.

The men I interacted with were atheist (weak or strong), agnostic, Jewish (often secular), Buddhist, or "other" -- usually resembling something pantheistic. These positions work just fine with my own worldview. I did receive a number of messages from people who identified as Christian, and sometimes I'd read over the religion section of the questions. Yeah, some interesting answers and explanations.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:51 PM

774 posts, read 906,448 times
As I was saying earlier this year, I note the algorithms on ok stupid are bogus, they ratings didn't match the answers in a lot of cases. I didn't trust the methods of the site, didnt trustwhoever ran the site, didnt trust the veracity of the match/catch/enemy list and now ok stupid was caught and bore me out.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I am not so sure that everyone on the site is human... pretty sure there are bots and extraterrestrials too

Just kidding, just kidding. But yeah, online dating just doesn't seem to work for me. Glad I pulled out of "the experiment."
Might be a lot of NY bots on o.k. stupid, some.pics never change in ten years, some pluguglies couldnt find a guy in a hundred years but they demand handsome lookers and ignore all male replies to yhem. They languish on stupid for years. No real human could be THAT stupid even on O.K. STUPID? Just another oks experiment and and what when a girl matches me 98 percent but ignores my letters to her, she doesnt think like me, she doesnt THINK, the robot doesnt know how to think but is on okstupid just to vex man and because the researchers want to see the response she eventually gets from the completely perplexed. Lonely man. Does he call stupid up and demand she be taken off the site for non activity? Does he try to sue ok stupid for fraud?
Oh

Old 07-31-2014, 04:26 PM

The other one the Plenty Of Freiend is known as that because the head is Marcus Freiend and they say 85% of the female ads are fakes made up by Freiend and Freiends fake girls ignore all replies to them but Freiender is very protective of his creations and he lifebans all men who tell off the fake rejectionistas. Also Freind sells or donates his ugliest supposedly picky fake girl ads to some of the pay sites, this is the rumor on Freind.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:36 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
Yes, I'm learning that even after supposedly having 95%+ of things in common, you can still not have chemistry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Who wouldn't realize their fake 90% wasn't truly a match by the time they spoke on the phone, texted in depth or had their first date? Anyone who can think critically should be able to assess more of a person's profile than simply the displayed percentage.

So why would their "feelings" get hurt if they used common sense, approached it rationally, and properly assessed anyone who may appear to be a match?
I was chatting with someone from OKC who was planning which one of us would ultimately move to where the other lives and had stopped looking prior to meeting me because we were such a good match on paper. He didn't take it well when I told him I wasn't in a place to try to make a LDR work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I experienced a lack of chemistry with a higher match. It didn't happen often, but it happened, at least once. He was very nice and the date was enjoyable, but I didn't feel the chemistry or attraction.
I felt no chemistry with a 96% match who I contacted first. I ended up cutting the date short because I was almost bored to tears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Honestly, I had been scratching my head as well, I even wrote to a guy who was in + 90% range asking him if he thought the machine was screwed up in it's matching capabilities because there's no way we were a match. I prefaced it with lots of politeness letting him know I wasn't trying to insult him, just that it seems something wasn't right. I truly was stumped by the match. They also matched me with a guy I knew from one of my meetup groups, he was peeking my profile, so I looked back at his and what I saw was someone that stated quite clearly atheist and agnostics need not apply. From my answers to the questions it should have been clear that I wasn't religious, but yet we had a 97% match.
There's a guy from Meetup I'm a 94% match with who I've met before. We're nowhere near a 94% match. I'm not even sure we're a 49% match. There's also a guy I met at a Meetup event last week who popped up in my weekly match email this morning. I'm very tempted to see how much of a match we are.

I will say though, looking at my matches today, with this "experiment" in mind did have an impact. I did use the numbers as a starting point and now I don't trust them. I guess I'll either need another starting point or I'll just close my account. As I said yesterday, it's been over a month since I received a message so my account is pretty much dead anyway.

There's also a Huffington Post article out today about whether or not this "experiment" was an FTC violation.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:08 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
For the record, my account on OKC is less than one month old, but it's certainly been interesting, almost as interesting as the discussion here.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 PM

Don't say the wrong things here or Rudder will lock you out of Ok Stupid TOO

Old 08-02-2014, 12:07 AM

I would answer 75 questions and a certain group of noncompatibles would be listed to me as 99 or 98 percenters Ok stupid Then.I would answer 750.questions and the same females would be at the same.99/98/95 etc percentages. This is not only illogical, this is impossible, Rudder is a liar, his algorithms are fake. Soon they will close okstupid down for fraud. I say good riddance and I will steal Rudders book when it comes out because it looks interesting but why should I pay to get a book of pathological lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships