Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 06:11 AM

216 posts, read 438,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usewithm0der4tion View Post
The longer you date her, the hotter she'll get, unless something like lack of a personality defaces her.
In my experience, that is not true.

I seriously dated a man who became more critical of my appearance over time. Huge mistake.
His comments centered on clothes ("you make $...., (a good salary) why can't you afford some better clothes?") ; criticizing the way I looked if I did not spend a lot of time blowing my hair out; always quick to point out if I had gained five pounds. Like the girlfriend mentioned in the other thread, my clothes choices had a lot to do with being frugal. Granted my clothes were basic but not frumpy (note that this was during the height of the recession which impacted my work significantly, and I was fairly anxious about finances, something I was very open with him about). And no, he did not buy me clothes.

I know intellectually that I am an attractive woman (no supermodel, but I am attractive by most standards). I remained fit and a regular athlete during that relationship. (He gained a substantial amount of weight, much more than the 5-8 pounds that I would vary between).

However, his criticism ate away at my self esteem. Now, a couple years out from that relationship, I am still trying to recover some of my confidence (even harder now because I am in my later 30s, and men my age want to date younger women).

The OP's girlfriend should be the one getting advice... to cut and run. If he isn't in love with her now, he won't be more attracted to her later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 06:16 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
One thing to keep in mind is that when you wake up next to your mate, unless you are in a movie or she takes terrible care of her skin, she will have no makeup on and her hair will be messy. Her face may be blotchy or creased from sleep. And she will only get older.

You either love waking up next to someone--because you love her--or you don't. The same goes for her, by the way.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:43 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
All I'm gonna say. If you believe that line of BS that is passed around in the forum about a person becoming more physically attractive as you go on even though they ain't attractive to you at first, then obviously your attraction is going in the wrong direction. Therefore, you are in lots of trouble.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:15 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Bang her and see how she looks the next morning. Then make a decision. If her morning face disgusts you, you have your answer.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:22 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoforastig View Post
I've been dating a girl for the past couple months. She actually reached out to me from an online dating service. We have good conversations, similar values, and I usually enjoy my time with her.

At our first three dates she seemed very physically attractive, but since then her appearance has been quite variable. She definitely has put the same amount of effort into her presentation. Unfortunately, it's gotten to the point where she even seems unattractive. I feel really conflicted about it. I like her as a person but feel a little deceived. Has this ever happened to anyone? Have you ever dated someone whose appearance could vary drastically by their grooming habits/clothing?

It's really a head scratcher and I feel like crap. If you have any advice, please let me know!
You better run while you can.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:38 AM

53 posts, read 76,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
It's not her. It's your rejection motor kicking in.

Does this happen often?

Better take a look at yourself, if so.
What is a rejection motor?

Old 07-30-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
You could also consider whether she seems unattractive to you when you are upset with her about something and you have not told her your feelings.

This happens a lot in long term marriages, but it can happen in early dating, too, especially if you did not learn the relevant skills growing up -- how to talk about things and resolve them.
I have to admit her physical flaws seem more apparent when she says or does something that makes me think we aren't compatible. In reality, she probably meets my minimum physical attractiveness standards. I still have questions about our compatibility. Maybe it doesn't sound romantic, but I think I've learned not to fall in love until I really know a lot about the person. I've been hurt in past by falling too soon.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:02 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoforastig View Post
I have to admit her physical flaws seem more apparent when she says or does something that makes me think we aren't compatible. In reality, she probably meets my minimum physical attractiveness standards. I still have questions about our compatibility. Maybe it doesn't sound romantic, but I think I've learned not to fall in love until I really know a lot about the person. I've been hurt in past by falling too soon.

Minimum physical attractiveness standards?

Learned not to fall in love?

Poor girl.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:07 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

Poor girl.
The OP asked for advice but I don't think we should bother. This isn't going to end well and I hate wasting time on hopeless causes.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

Poor girl.
Those are horrible things to say. I apologize. We probably aren't compatible. I just don't want to be single and lonely. I should do the right thing and beak it off instead of forcing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships