Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 03:52 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
well, there is a cute girl that I see at work. She does not work in my company but rather the adjacent company (it's a business complex). We have exchanged glances several times and smiled, but that's about it. Always wanted to approach but i'm not quite sure how to do this as I've always done the online dating thing which is much more direct OR if i've talked to someone it's because I knew them through mutual friends.

Yesterday I was out on the phone when she is heading home I spot her and look at her, she looks back and waves a "bye" at me with a smile. Does that mean she is just being friendly or do I interpret that an an invitation to approach to talk to her next time? I smiled back and acknowledged but since I was on the phone I couldn't do anything more.

Here is the thing... if I approach her, since I have no idea about what she even likes to talk about etc. what do I say exactly? What kind of conversation do people have when they cold approach? I don't want to use some cheesy pickup line because that would be disaster I think, but I also don't want to do something that will make myself appear creepy or desperate because women run away from that.

I've always thought randomly chatting up women I don't know appears stalkerish so have avoided it...opinions?
You just say hi, my name is......

Guys, this is not rocket science. Women are not expecting you to talk about quantum physics or anything overly complicated, so don't make it so complicated

If the art of small talk is really so foreign to you consider taking a speech class at your local community college, or maybe even joining a Toast Masters group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 04:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Here's how: Don't.
Why not? They work in the same building, not for the same company!

Old 07-31-2014, 04:06 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Why not? They work in the same building, not for the same company!
If he wants to do it, all the more power to him. I won't approach a woman I don't know anymore. I've learned my lesson

Old 07-31-2014, 05:57 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Guys, this is not rocket science.
it's not rocket science but it's difficult to get the right moment to have that conversation. We usually cross paths at odd times like we are heading in opposite directions.

I did run into her today but I happened to be near the exit of the building, she smiled again, I commented that she was getting out of here and she replied "finally!! yes!" smiling but she was right at the door, I said bye. I mean what else could I do? I can't possibly say "Hang on, I want to talk to you"... that would appear creepy, I can't possibly run after her outside the building...that would be even more creepy LMAO! She appeared in a rush to get out so I decided that it was not the right moment to carry a conversation.

Another approach...I know a few women in the company she works at, perhaps I can use them to get more info on her? At least if she is married or involved or not You guys used other women to get the scoop on the one you're interested in?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Guys, this is not rocket science. Women are not expecting you to talk about quantum physics or anything overly complicated, so don't make it so complicated
no quantum physics? bummer. how about advanced chemistry? statistical analysis? aerosapce and mechanical engineering?

Quote:
If the art of small talk is really so foreign to you consider taking a speech class at your local community college, or maybe even joining a Toast Masters group.
not a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
it's not rocket science but it's difficult to get the right moment to have that conversation. We usually cross paths at odd times like we are heading in opposite directions.

I did run into her today but I happened to be near the exit of the building, she smiled again, I commented that she was getting out of here and she replied "finally!! yes!" smiling but she was right at the door, I said bye. I mean what else could I do? I can't possibly say "Hang on, I want to talk to you"... that would appear creepy, I can't possibly run after her outside the building...that would be even more creepy LMAO! She appeared in a rush to get out so I decided that it was not the right moment to carry a conversation.

Another approach...I know a few women in the company she works at, perhaps I can use them to get more info on her? At least if she is married or involved or not You guys used other women to get the scoop on the one you're interested in?
ok you have a start, you broke the ice with her, you actually SAID something, and she responded. next time you are in that situation, ask her of you can walk her to her car. women actually appreciate things like that. the great thing is you can actually now make small talk with her, find out about her job, tell her about yours, etc. this is what is known as "normal" small talk.

in the course of this "normal" small talk, you can ask her to have lunch with you when she is available. this is a safe date for her because it will be during business hours so you are not likely to do anything untoward to her, and the time will be limited as well. but again it gets you in the door as it were. if things go well you two could have lunch together regularly.

i can see it now, a week or so of having lunch with this girl and you will be asking about how to ask her out to a movie and dinner. and then in a few weeks you will be here thanking us and telling us how easy it ultimately was, and then you get to tell others that it worked nicely for you, so they can do it too.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:18 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,031 times
you can always give her a mock concerned frown but with just a hint of wry smile next time you run into her and go "....are you stalking me?". Usually gets a laugh and then you are off to the races.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:24 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
no quantum physics? bummer.
I appreciate conversations about quantum physics. That's a good way to get my attention. As long as you know what you're talking about, and aren't just spouting some New Agey stuff to impress me.

OP, she seems to be into you. That's half the battle, and you've already won it. She'll help you keep the conversation going.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I appreciate conversations about quantum physics. That's a good way to get my attention. As long as you know what you're talking about, and aren't just spouting some New Agey stuff to impress me.

OP, she seems to be into you. That's half the battle, and you've already won it. She'll help you keep the conversation going.
i suck at physics, (gets on one knee) teach me!!! though i am learning a little about astronomy

Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i suck at physics, (gets on one knee) teach me!!! though i am learning a little about astronomy
Well, I'm not good at actual physics, either, but the implications of some aspects of quantum physics for various types of paranormal phenomena are quite fascinating. Maybe we should move this digression to the Paranormal Phenomena forum.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:20 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Hey there pretty lady, I'm so and so.I'm the such and such at this company.And you are?
By any chance would you like to meet me at xyz for lunch? Chat her up at lunch, maybe do a few and if it progresses, dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships