Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 09:22 AM

898 posts, read 937,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't know them well, but they aren't a stranger. I'm certainly not worried about buying someone I barely know a drink or three like you are. I like it, actually.
With regards to OLD, I do not care for it. I don't like dating around in general (especially not with a ton of different women), but I know that's the necessary evil to establishing a meaningful romantic relationship.

Quote:
Maybe not on the regular, but drinks get purchased for me and by me at least once a month, but I don't go out much anymore.
Once a month. Cheaper and much different than several times a week with OLD. It's a numbers game. Remember?

Quote:
Seems like you just must live in a pretty lousy area where people are pretty lame. You could change that.
I don't know. Typically, Denver is described as a laid back place with laid back, kind people. I've just not met the right ones (thus far) as far as dating goes. But there are a couple prospects at this moment.

Quote:
What promiscuous desires does a friend have when they ask me if I want to go to a game? Or what promiscuous desires do I have when I buy a round of shots when I'm out on a Saturday night talking to a couple of guys?
This is not relevant to dating though. You brought that up. The topic being discussed is dating. I've addressed what I take issue with. If that was not clear to you, let me know and I'll explain it again.

Quote:
Not everyone thinks like you, fortunately. You really do think everyone has an ulterior motive.
Not necessarily an ulterior motive (though some do), but a sense of entitlement. I have a problem with that. If I recall from some of the W&E discussions you and I were part of, you do, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 09:22 AM

37,567 posts, read 45,928,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Sure there would. Supply and demand. If no one is asking the women out they will have to take the initiative.

Not as attractive as it seems being in that position is it.
Some of you fellas, you complain about men having to do the initiating (thus paying). Feeling that its wrong because women want to be treated as human beings with the same rights and opportunities as men so of course women should take on the roles of men. But then they complain about taking the role women have held forever. If you want women to be the predators you must be the prey.
Another great post.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:26 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
With regards to OLD, I do not care for it. I don't like dating around in general (especially not with a ton of different women), but I know that's the necessary evil to establishing a meaningful romantic relationship.

Once a month. Cheaper and much different than several times a week with OLD. It's a numbers game. Remember?

I don't know. Typically, Denver is described as a laid back place with laid back, kind people. I've just not met the right ones (thus far) as far as dating goes. But there are a couple prospects at this moment.

This is not relevant to dating though. You brought that up. The topic being discussed is dating. I've addressed what I take issue with. If that was not clear to you, let me know and I'll explain it again.

Not necessarily an ulterior motive (though some do), but a sense of entitlement. I have a problem with that. If I recall from some of the W&E discussions you and I were part of, you do, too.

Dating is not a numbers game. OLD definitely is not a numbers game. I found lots of great people OLD and wrote people maybe once a week.

I haven't run into people with a sense of entitlement much, OLD or otherwise. Most people I meet are actually rather generous. We're just meeting different people.

Dating isn't any different really from any other social interactions, so other social interactions are relevant. I'm not sure how you approach dating, but going out with a potential romantic interest really isn't different than hanging out with a friend or potential friend. It's going out and having a good time, and everything else either happens or it doesn't. Treating or talking to a cute lady isn't really any different from going and hanging out with a coworker. People are people. We're (hopefully) the same person when we interact with either.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:27 AM

37,567 posts, read 45,928,580 times
Quote:
Yes, I treat friends out all the time as well.

How many total strangers though that don't have a v-a-g? How many homeless dudes? How many strange dudes you just met at a bar?
WTF? This is such a strange question...hard to even reply seriously!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:28 AM

214 posts, read 206,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
So if a woman agrees that women should stay home and raise the kids, does it then become acceptable for her to want men to pay for dates and give women financial support?
Sure, as long as it's not a choice. Like, if it's just her role and that's how it is, then absolutely. If you mean "what if she has several choices and that's the one she chose?" then no.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Dating is not a numbers game. OLD definitely is not a numbers game. I found lots of great people OLD and wrote people maybe once a week.
It's not? That's news to me. If you found many great matches, why aren't you married yet? Preference? I get that some people meet "the one" at first try, but for the rest of us, it has not been that easy.

Quote:
I haven't run into people with a sense of entitlement much, OLD or otherwise. Most people I meet are actually rather generous. We're just meeting different people.
In reality, yes. I have mostly met cool, generous ladies. Everything blew up on here because of what a few people stated regarding what they are entitled to because of their lady parts. All I said is that I don't agree with that.

Quote:
Dating isn't any different really from any other social interactions, so other social interactions are relevant. I'm not sure how you approach dating, but going out with a potential romantic interest really isn't different than hanging out with a friend or potential friend. It's going out and having a good time, and everything else either happens or it doesn't. Treating or talking to a cute lady isn't really any different from going and hanging out with a coworker. People are people. We're (hopefully) the same person when we interact with either.
But it's not expected, as has been stated here a number of times, that I pay for my potential friend's stuff when I first meet them. That's the only thing I take issue with. The expectation, or the entitlement. If I like you, I will buy you things. Just don't expect that I must pay for everything for you, or else you're turned off or walking. I don't like a mooch as much as the next person.

Last edited by 4DM1N; 08-01-2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 AM

Default The Unwritten Rules of Forum Debates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
WTF? This is such a strange question...hard to even reply seriously!
#571: When you don't agree with someone, screw making a logical counter-argument. Who needs that? Make the person seem like an idiot instead by using a smoke-and-mirrors tactic that portrays something they said as idiotic or absurd.

Well played, sir/m'am.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:50 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,596,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobaloba View Post
Sure, as long as it's not a choice. Like, if it's just her role and that's how it is, then absolutely. If you mean "what if she has several choices and that's the one she chose?" then no.
You mean it's bad if women choose to be stay at home moms if they have the choice of working and paying for daycare? If I had children, I'd absolutely want to be home with them if it were financially possible. I don't even like leaving my cat at home all day while I'm at work. But work is a necessary evil for some. It's not a place where I would choose to be over raising my children.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:50 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times
Quote:
It's not? That's news to me. If you found many great matches, why aren't you married yet? Preference? I get that some people meet "the one" at first try, but for the rest of us, it has not been that easy.
No, it is not. Why would I be married? You make it sound like that should be the goal of dating. If I get married, I get married (I was engaged once, we called it off, we learned it wouldn't work), but I don't date with an agenda other than to spend time getting to know awesome people. Most of my greatest friends of 10, 15, 20+ years are people I dated.

Quote:
But it's not expected, as has been stated here a number of times, that I pay for my potential friend's stuff when I first meet them. That's the only thing I take issue with. The expectation, or the entitlement. If I like you, I will buy you things. Just don't expect that I must pay for everything for you. I don't like a mooch as much as the next person.

See, I don't agree with that, really. If I ask a person out, I expect to pay. If I ask a potential friend to go see a band or see a ball game, I expect to pay. I'm asking.

When I do that one a date it comes back around, when I do that with friends or potential friends, it comes back around. Little difference, really.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,363,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
^^^this. Whoever plans and initiates the date pays. If you want to go to more expensive places then you suggest it and you pay. If he is planning the date he should go where he can afford. Seems pretty simple.
Yep. I've planned and made suggestions for dates, and had no problem paying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Wow, is that a woman's way of saying I refuse to pay for a date at a expensive restaurant?
Er, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's this woman's way of saying 1) I prefer that food and 2) I can't afford an expensive restaurant more than once or twice a year. I don't refuse to pay what I can afford and for me, a good quality torta and dinner in the park is a better experience than a $50 meal with fine wine in the North End.
It's smart for anyone, man or woman, to stay within their budget. If they can't afford dinner at a four or five star restaurant, then choose a place that is more within their budget.

My husband, earlier on, paid for initial dates because he wanted to, and then I contributed, though not at his request. A little while ago I planned dinner at a nice restaurant he hadn't been to. He's a more frugal man and wouldn't choose a more expensive restaurant, usually. But we talked about this place and he was curious. I picked up the $130 tab. He was fully expecting to pay. It was my treat for him/us.

There were times in the past that I did enjoy eating at nicer restaurants for some dates, and I paid the bill. When I can afford the expense, it's fine. When I had to tighten the budget, I opted for a different, more affordable, restaurant. Since a lot of dates were lunch/dinner and a movie, he would pay for one and I'd pay for the other. Sometimes I just pre-ordered tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships