Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 12:39 AM

11,143 posts, read 7,907,176 times

Advertisements

I don't mind the first date split.. That's fair. On subsequent dates I believe the asker should pay.
Sometimes I like to pay just because. I want to take HIM out and treat him as special as he treats me. I think that the rule of thumb should be .. What's fair for both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 01:41 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,046,296 times
another variation of 'who pays' but just add high and low watermarks for two different players.

the rules are different in the first 2 months of random dates vs. 5+ years into it and committed to each other.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:35 AM

37,494 posts, read 45,798,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
Which is ironic that some of you would be opposed to the idea of 1/2 of the partnership mooching off the other. Some women seemed to love that concept when the burden was carried entirely by the man in the thread I created. Pick and choose which equal rights apply to you all you want ladies. But don't complain when he leaves you for the next best thing. Looks don't last forever after all. Because the way some of you make it sound, all you're good for is your sex appeal and possibly homemaking attributes. If I had wives like you, I certainly wouldn't bat an eye over it.

Why do you think that anyone OTHER than me should dictate what I want from a man in a relationship. Get over yourself. "Equal rights" have nothing to do with a relationship, dude. That is a legal issue. You are very confused.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:25 AM

47 posts, read 67,367 times
The man planning the date is more important to me than the expense of the date. I would be bored with just dinner and a movie.

Here are some of the best dates to me that are low cost or free and allow for more interaction and conversation:

- outside picnic in a park
- free concert outside
- art museum
- art gallery walks with free wine and appetizers
- the beach of course
- taking our dogs for a walk or to the park

The dating rituals where the man takes the lead by asking, planning, and paying exist to show the woman his intentions as a provider and courting her for potential marriage. However, today, some men and women, see dating as mostly a play and an act to have sex, and they usually have rules, like the three date rule of having sex on the third date. We don't live in a courtship culture anymore, so dating is not necessarily courtship or a sign of a man's intentions to eventually marry the woman.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:37 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,123,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
Doesn't matter; had sex =P

Used? I asked them out, why should they pay? It's not like 100 dollars over a couple weeks is gonna send me to the poor house. If I was working in the park crew at the mountain making 8 bucks an hour maybe I'd think different, but money isn't really something I'm that concerned about anymore. If I was struggling to feed myself I wouldn't aggressively date, I'd improve myself and date if I happened to meet someone.

Different strokes bro.

I don't really care about all the gender roles and what have you.
Im just saying you always paying doesn't really seem to be working for. If you're always paying and the dates don't lead anywhere then in my opinion you're being used. The truth is if a woman really likes you it doesn't matter if you pay on the first date or not.

Last edited by 14Bricks; 08-01-2014 at 06:58 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 05:37 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,289,027 times
Is it just me, or when you're on a great date all this superficial bs falls by the wayside...?

I can remember a simple date turning into a 6/8/10 hour experience with some of the loves I've had in my life.

Looking back, I don't remember who paid for what. I'm sure I paid for half because it's how I am, but I don't remember that. All I remember is the night disappearing.

(forgive me, I'm feeling sentimental this morning)

The dates I do remember the artificial moments didn't develop into anything. If I'm focusing on that and not him...I think it's pretty obvious I'm not feeling something spectacular.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:25 AM

898 posts, read 936,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Why do you think that anyone OTHER than me should dictate what I want from a man in a relationship. Get over yourself. "Equal rights" have nothing to do with a relationship, dude. That is a legal issue. You are very confused.
I didn't say you shouldn't be able to dictate what you want. Just because you do doesn't mean you're not a hypocrite either who's stuck in the traditionalist notion that it's pre-1950 and women aren't working or don't have very good jobs. Times, they are a changin'.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:26 AM

898 posts, read 936,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I don't mind the first date split.. That's fair. On subsequent dates I believe the asker should pay.
Sometimes I like to pay just because. I want to take HIM out and treat him as special as he treats me. I think that the rule of thumb should be .. What's fair for both.
This right here.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:28 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,838,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Is it just me, or when you're on a great date all this superficial bs falls by the wayside...?

It is not just you. When I'm out with someone cute and having fun, I'm not worried about a few damn bucks.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:30 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,392,141 times
Unfortunately to my wallet's expense I have the same thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships