Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:50 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,245,469 times

Advertisements

Hey any of you pilots out there:

My dad used to kinda have a little joke, but I never really got it. I used to greet him in the morning ( he was rarely home, usually on layover somewhere) and say "hey dad" good morning how are you?"

and he'd say: "Just sitting her enjoying an airmen's breakfast"

I'd say: "What what the heck is that?"

He'd say: "The airmens breakfast, a cigarette, Coffee and a good heave!"

I just wonder if this was something he made up, or did pilots really used to say this? Needless to say, he was really upset when they banned smoking from the cabins, however, sources informed me that he did it anyways sometimes LOL.... My dad the capt,n alpways a cigarette and a Coffee.

He even had a "checklist" with him everywhere he went. He never could get out of the cockpit LOL. he had his daily checklist on the coffeetable and carry with him that he'd mark and check off of things he had to do, people to call.......always a pilot, still the capt'n

R.I.P dad - I miss and love you, thanks for spending time in all the sims and groundschools and layovers...even though you weren't home alot, we know you were doing it for us...thanks for taking care of us all those years by sacrificing so much....we still have all of your wings and brainbag with your logbooks and flightcharts....we still look at them from time to time....

Old 09-23-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Hey any of you pilots out there:

My dad used to kinda have a little joke, but I never really got it. I used to greet him in the morning ( he was rarely home, usually on layover somewhere) and say "hey dad" good morning how are you?"

and he'd say: "Just sitting her enjoying an airmen's breakfast"

I'd say: "What what the heck is that?"

He'd say: "The airmens breakfast, a cigarette, Coffee and a good heave!"

I just wonder if this was something he made up, or did pilots really used to say this? Needless to say, he was really upset when they banned smoking from the cabins, however, sources informed me that he did it anyways sometimes LOL.... My dad the capt,n alpways a cigarette and a Coffee.

He even had a "checklist" with him everywhere he went. He never could get out of the cockpit LOL. he had his daily checklist on the coffeetable and carry with him that he'd mark and check off of things he had to do, people to call.......always a pilot, still the capt'n

R.I.P dad - I miss and love you, thanks for spending time in all the sims and groundschools and layovers...even though you weren't home alot, we know you were doing it for us...thanks for taking care of us all those years by sacrificing so much....we still have all of your wings and brainbag with your logbooks and flightcharts....we still look at them from time to time....

Here's my late father....an older picture from the late 70's...those are some dried tears looks like...thanks sis for the pic.

Here's what dad used to drive:

And

Last edited by EricOldTime; 09-23-2014 at 08:14 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 10:08 AM

101 posts, read 212,641 times
Default Do pilot/pilot relationships generally work out?

I am currently attracted to my flight instructor and I think he feels the same way. He has all his CPL, ATPL and instrument ratings, and also single. However with different flight and duty times in the future, how can this work out? Have you ever met any pilot couples before and did it work out?

Old 09-24-2014, 11:10 AM

my dad has a friend whos a captain for USair and his wife is a flight attendent for American Airlines......they met at an airport restaraunt while both were on layover......

Old 09-24-2014, 11:35 AM

Sorry. I was talking about a pilot and pilot couple, not flight attendant and pilot.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:50 AM

24,276 posts, read 13,132,107 times
I normally would not reply, this may belong in another forum, but I have seen this situation.

I know of two couples who were with the same ANG units. Both flew for different airlines, UA and AA. Both couples are now divorced. They got to see each other less than a week a month (low seniority). Their schedules never really meshed.

Of a greater concern is the student pilot/flight instructor relationship the OP is addressing. It is detrimental for student/teacher relationship if it progresses past a professional one.

When I was an instructor we received the first female F-16 students. We were STRONGLY admonished not to date the students. Maybe "strongly" wasn't a powerful enough term, we were threatened with castration by the squadron commander.

There is a student/teacher relationship that is challenged by strong friendships... not saying there can't be social relationships, but a BF/GF relationship is almost always toxic to the learning relationship. How does one tell his girlfriend that her holding entry was quite the abomination? He CAN be fair and unbiased, and there may be the instructor out there who is capable of 100% honest debriefs (never seen one), but in all likelihood there will be grade inflation and weak debriefs. Or worse, there's a breakup. Could get ugly.

Bottom line: Keep it professional, wait until you're out of training.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:53 AM

Your father was obviously a marvelous man. I am sorry to what happened to your father, but he is now in peace and watching over you, proud of the man you became. Just remember forever in your heart he will remain immortal, and his soul and love for you burns strong.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:55 AM

Sure thing, Cap. Part of being a pilot is professionalism. Relationships and emotions stay out of work.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:56 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Is this a continuation of the other thread you started today about the same or very close to the same topic/issue there.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:04 PM

"Everybody has a chance. But in my experience, 90% of airline pilots are married to either a teacher, nurse, or flight attendant. Flight attendants chances increase exponentially as being wife #2 or #3. Use your imagination as to why.

I’ve pondered this for quite some time. Why do we always seem to choose flight attendants, teachers, or nurses, and I’ve come to the following conclusion. Pilots are “needy,” and we need to be nurtured, much like a 3rd grader or dying patient. Teachers, nurses, and flight attendants nurture constantly, and deal with whining on a daily basis. Therefore, they’re the select few that can actually put up with us."

Source: Five Things You Must Know Before Dating a Pilot! - BuzzPo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships