Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:24 PM

46 posts, read 47,152 times

Advertisements

It's just the way we are. Besides, many men have been made fun of by women when they did verbalise it.

I think this is a modern time problem. I can't imagine my mother ever expected my father to say it in 40 years. She would still be waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 12:27 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinzK View Post
It's just the way we are. Besides, many men have been made fun of by women when they did verbalise it.
I find it interesting that so many guys say that they get made fun of or looked down on by women for expressing emotion (well, not anger or jealousy so much.) Most women I know would be thrilled if/when their men were appropriately emotional, and I can't imagine ever faulting a guy for it.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-04-2014 at 12:37 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 12:30 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I find it interesting that so many guys say that they get made fun of or looked down on by women for expressing emotion (well, not anger or jealousy) Most women I know would be thrilled if/when their men were appropriately emotional, and I can't imagine ever faulting a guy for it.

If they are I'm willing to bet the relationship is at a stage where it is effectively over anyway, and the criticism of verbalizing emotions is a symptom, and not the problem itself.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I find it interesting that so many guys say that they get made fun of or looked down on by women for expressing emotion (well, not anger or jealousy) Most women I know would be thrilled if/when their men were appropriately emotional, and I can't imagine ever faulting a guy for it.
Many wouldn't like and would think the guy was weak. Personally the only woman who can watch me cry is my mother.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:48 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Hummmm, maybe "gals" have trouble listening or don't like the feelings the "guys" are telling them about.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:13 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,899 times
Quote:
But, like what jillabean said below, it's important for both people to keep the lines of communication going and doing what's best for their SO, not just for themselves. So sure, some women need to accept that their partner is showing that he loves her by doing things for her, but at the same time, some men should realize that saying those three little words to their women is not stupid and pointless (at least to her it's not.)
I get it. This is why I told her I loved her, it was a need she had and I acted on it. I didn't need the words because I could tell she loved me, it was a truth that was all around me all day in every way and that and not words matter to me. She would say those words anyways because saying it mattered to her. My message was rather different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
What?
Men and women both say I love you in countless ways that have no words, men moreso than women I think. It seems to me that some people miss the forest seeking one tree without ever realizing the thing they sought was all around them. Dont miss the forest.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:20 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post

Men and women both say I love you in countless ways that have no words, men moreso than women I think. It seems to me that some people miss the forest seeking one tree without ever realizing the thing they sought was all around them. Dont miss the forest.
I was just messing with you.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:15 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinzK View Post
Many wouldn't like and would think the guy was weak. Personally the only woman who can watch me cry is my mother.
That's interesting. I'm wondering if it's cultural/socioeconomic, because that attitude is not something I'm familiar with. I think repressing one's emotions is weak.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:17 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,899 times
Woman! lol I should have seen that one, usually there is a smiley but you often don't use one in such situations. Have to remind myself of the nuances, I've been off playing...

Old 08-04-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
That's interesting. I'm wondering if it's cultural/socioeconomic, because that attitude is not something I'm familiar with. I think repressing one's emotions is weak.
Might have had something to do with my father, when I was small I never wanted to cry in front of him because I thought I would disappoint him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships