Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 09:02 AM

663 posts, read 777,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It doesn't have anything to do with it, that is what!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
I don't know what this has to do with the OP question.

Dating, in general, is not easy. In the beginning, you're usually hopeful and optimistic about what's in store. But over time, especially if nothing in particular is sticking, it can be frustrating.

Well if (1) one's social life is supposedly great and one can easily meet opposite gender,

and (2) online dating supposedly sucks

then why in the world would one continue to use online dating?

That logic doesn't comprehend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 09:04 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,282,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
If that is the case, then why do many people here complain how "terrible" online dating is?

Case in point:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...as-worked.html

etc
A lot of it, and I'm at fault of this as well, is a higher expectation of ourselves than what we really are. If you're a guy living at home, who's 30, and barely working part time you can't realistically request a career woman, with no children, and the ability to take care of you.

What makes dating hard is expectations. Some people have high, some have low, and the rest make up the broad middle. I've read my share of profiles requesting a fit man, with a career, house, and car to be paired with a woman who lives with her parents and has multiple kids with no support from their dads. True, you can have your preferences, but you also have to be realistic with them as well.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
For me, I didn't like the time sink I had to pour into it (and price in the case of sites like Match) for the lame results I was getting. It wasn't so much terrible as it was disappointing for me. Kind of like if you buy a supplement at a health food store and it doesn't work for you. You dumped money into it, not sure if the results were worth it, and decided to live without it. While your best friend might have a totally different experience and get great results and keep using it.

Same with online dating I suppose.
Absolutely. It's why I ditched Match after paying for a 30 day subscription the second time. Since I was putting money towards it I expected better results. In the end, you still have no control of who's going to be attracted to you and who isn't, no matter how much or how little you put towards dating. I compared my results of dating over the last year and I had much better success on the free sites. The pay sites tended to fizzle out a lot quicker, since the mindset is/was I'm paying for a service so I want the best. In the end, why pay money for something when the end, when the free version is 85% as good as the pay sites?

Old 08-06-2014, 09:10 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
Quote:
Well if (1) one's social life is supposedly great and one can easily meet opposite gender,

I find interracial dating to be much easier online. In the real world, black men approach me most which is not what I want. Much easier to ignore their advances online or better yet, not get them at all when I'm using Tinder.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:10 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:

Now, once again, you're changing the terms. You're inserting easily into #1.

And assuming OLD sucks for everyone in #2.

And that there is a drawback to continuing to use OLD even if it did suck #2A.

The logic doesn't work for you because you're not looking at it logically.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I've read my share of profiles requesting a fit man, with a career, house, and car to be paired with a woman who lives with her parents and has multiple kids with no support from their dads.

Have to admit, I've never seen a profile like that, but perhaps its an age thing or I simply don't look at the profiles of women that present themselves that they might be like this... if there is a look to them.

So many things on this forum about other's experiences make me scratch my head. For instance, women don't want to date someone earning less than them. The last four women I've dated all made more than me, three of them $40k+ more. It's never been an issue to me or to them. But again, perhaps that is because of age.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:17 AM

898 posts, read 937,505 times
Quote:

Because one's social life can be great or good while not necessarily providing access to good matches with the opposite sex. I gave an example with my social life.

OLD may not be perfect, but it CAN BE a useful tool.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Have to admit, I've never seen a profile like that, but perhaps its an age thing or I simply don't look at the profiles of women that present themselves that they might be like this... if there is a look to them.

So many things on this forum about other's experiences make me scratch my head. For instance, women don't want to date someone earning less than them. The last four women I've dated all made more than me, three of them $40k+ more. It's never been an issue to me or to them. But again, perhaps that is because of age.
You're in a different age demographic than myself. If I was 10 years older, I would probably do a lot better online. I do better than average if all I want to do is date. That's kinda where my mindset is right now, so dating has worked well for me. If things don't work out, no harm no foul. I'm okay with my serial dating mindset right now.

When I'm in relationship mode, my mindset and expectations change. I'd like to be surprised by a potential relationship from my dating mindset. Just hasn't happened when I was in a position to realize it was happening.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:18 AM

898 posts, read 937,505 times
Quote:
A lot of it, and I'm at fault of this as well, is a higher expectation of ourselves than what we really are. If you're a guy living at home, who's 30, and barely working part time you can't realistically request a career woman, with no children, and the ability to take care of you.

What makes dating hard is expectations. Some people have high, some have low, and the rest make up the broad middle. I've read my share of profiles requesting a fit man, with a career, house, and car to be paired with a woman who lives with her parents and has multiple kids with no support from their dads. True, you can have your preferences, but you also have to be realistic with them as well.
Agreed. Can't rep you yet.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
You're in a different age demographic than myself. If I was 10 years older, I would probably do a lot better online. I

I guess, but I had a ton of success OLD 32-35 as well. Met some great girlfriends that way using CL, Onion Personals and Match. But the pool now may be different than then as well. Pretty much everyone online that I saw was super high caliber, yes, even on CL which didn't have spambots then. I don't think I met anyone OLD 10 years ago that didn't have at least a masters and many had more than one or a Ph.D.

Quote:
I'd like to be surprised by a potential relationship from my dating mindset. Just hasn't happened when I was in a position to realize it was happening.
Interesting. I've never had a "relationship mindset"? Relationships spring out of dating, they've never been something I looked for, they happen or they don't. If they do, great, if they don't, great. The ride itself is fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships