Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 08:23 AM

663 posts, read 778,026 times

Advertisements

Thoughts?

Is there anyone who is perfectly capable of meeting the opposite sex in the real world but still go do online dating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 08:30 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,283,808 times
Of course they do. It's a good way to broaden your dating field and see what else is available that you may not meet in your day to day life. Dating in general, whether it's online or in our day to day lives, gets a little harder as we age. For many the mindset shifts from potential to what are you doing. Like it's said within profiles, you no longer have time for games.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:31 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Sure. OLD is a supplement.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:36 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,242 times
I do... for me it's just expanding my pool and seeing what other people are like. Odd thing is, I have way more success getting dates in person but I have issues with OLD.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:36 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
I've done it.

I find online dating greatly increased the number of dates I get, but it's more hit and miss (I've had bad luck with it and it's been more of a miss for me). I've had more dates from online dating than socially. A whole lot more.

Offline is a lot slower... a whole lot slower... but a better quality match makes up for the lack of volume. All boyfriends/relationships I've ever had have come though offline, social interaction.

I recently gave up online dating all together. Mostly because of my own personality though... I just have trouble with dating a stranger from the get go. I like to get to know a man first and that's done socially. But just because it doesn't work for me, doesn't mean it doesn't work for others. Seems like quite a few people here have men their SO though online dating. So you just kind of have to figure out if it works well for you. I would guess a combination of both would work for most people, unless you are a weirdo like me who has stranger danger issues, lol.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:38 AM

898 posts, read 937,676 times
I'm not sure if my social life is considered great, but I have one. One friend is married. Another is a stoner who spends most of his time up in the mountains rafting and skiing. The third core friend is gay. We all usually hang out pretty regularly for the most part. But there aren't a lot of opportunities for dating within this group. So OLD is my primary source, although I've tried meeting people at Meetup groups as well.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:42 AM

663 posts, read 778,026 times
If that is the case, then why do many people here complain how "terrible" online dating is?

Case in point:
OKCupid.. have you used it and has it worked for you?

Quote:
95% of all guys who contact me first are non dateable for me.
Quote:
Ok Cupid is a shi*show.
I just get dates but they are so boring most of the time
Quote:
I thought it was a waste of time honestly.
etc

Old 08-06-2014, 08:47 AM

898 posts, read 937,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
If that is the case, then why do many people here complain how "terrible" online dating is?

Case in point:

etc
I don't know what this has to do with the OP question.

Dating, in general, is not easy. In the beginning, you're usually hopeful and optimistic about what's in store. But over time, especially if nothing in particular is sticking, it can be frustrating.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:48 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post

Case in point:

etc
For me, I didn't like the time sink I had to pour into it (and price in the case of sites like Match) for the lame results I was getting. It wasn't so much terrible as it was disappointing for me. Kind of like if you buy a supplement at a health food store and it doesn't work for you. You dumped money into it, not sure if the results were worth it, and decided to live without it. While your best friend might have a totally different experience and get great results and keep using it.

Same with online dating I suppose.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:55 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
I don't know what this has to do with the OP question.

It doesn't have anything to do with it, that is what!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships