Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:33 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times

Advertisements

I've come to the conclusion that anyone, under the right set of circumstances and with the right person, could cheat.

I've never been comfortable with people who splutter, "Why, I'd NEVER step out on my spouse," because I've seen too many who have made that assertion, only to wind up making the beast with two backs with the tennis pro or Sheila over in sales. In fact, I would offer that they're likely more likely to cheat because their egos won't allow room for the possibility of being vulnerable.

I've never stepped out on my wife, but I've also known the inherent danger in a situation while having drinks with a colleague or some such and excused myself to go home if things were taking that turn. That and the knowledge that MrsCPG would perform elective surgery on me with a spoon she sharpened on the driveway.

Instead of insecurity per se, I think the impulse springs from self-centeredness, the desire to fulfill a perceived unmet need. Doing so could be from insecurity or total security in oneself. The lack of concern about the consequences or ones partner is the key factor.

Last edited by cpg35223; 08-08-2014 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 12:52 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
I agree. I'm a very insecure person but have never cheated. On the other hand my ex SEEMED to be a secure person to everyone who thought they knew him, but he wasn't at all, and was pessimistic, and a cheater as well.
This for me too. I am insecure-very much so. But I wouldn't cheat. I don't care for cheaters, nor have any respect for the ones who'd help someone cheat-the other man/woman. Doesn't show good character, and at the core, seems a selfish act, and disregard for their SO.

Assuming I got with a guy I genuinely like, care for, and I feel the feelings re mutual, then I wouldn't have a reason to cheat. If I have the 100 dollar bill, why would I mess around with the pennies.

That's a problem with some people. They may have someone great that others would kill to have. But it's never enough, the grass is always greener, and no 1 person holds their interest. It's about who looks hotter, who's gonna be a good ego boost, who looks like a challenge, all the while they have a good SO with them already. Now if the "love" has faded, or it just isn't working, fine. But why not end the relationship, rather than cheat? Again, selfishness. They wanna keep their SO on the hook for whenever, but they'll go off and play with other people as well.

As far as physical cheating goes. There's emotional cheating, which I find to be just as bad, but not quite there yet. But all bad, none the less.

I just think cheating is for people who are immature and selfish. It's all about them, and not taking their SO into consideration.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:00 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
What does "life in general" mean? Does she think she's going to die? IDGI
My guess is various aspects of life. Job, relationships, her views of herself. I know someone who feels very insecure about everything in her life. No, I don't think there is necessarily a correlation with that. Like someone else said, there are plenty of other factors to consider.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:41 PM

50,781 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
I'm talking about any exclusive relationship , dating, LTR , or married where the woman admits openly and shows signs that she is insecure about life in general . This seems to be true from my experience. It also makes it harder to trust a person ( I admit I have trust issues from past relationships )
I'm curious to see what other people have seen in their own relationships or their friends ?
IMO absolutely yes, and it applies equally to men. The guys I dated who were the most controlling and jealous all cheated on me themselves....when I was young and insecure, I was much more likely to cheat, because I needed that validation. It is quite common IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships