Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 02:30 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times

Advertisements

I can't handle a new man every few months, so I certainly would not subject my children to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 02:33 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,102 times
Wow, this situation sounds a lot like mine. Except I've been single for over 7 years. I didn't plan it that way. It was just the way it happened.
First I lived in a very rural area for 4 of those years, there just wasn't time to meet anyone, and I had my kids with me all the time. Like you, I had just divorced someone whose rights had been terminated. There was that, AND I had huge emotional scars to deal with.
The first two years were the hardest, but I recognized that I was an emotional mess. Having someone else come into my life would have been a mistake. Nevertheless, I felt I had something to prove and did meet a guy who ended up being SUCH a mistake. He was one taco short of a full platter. My kids still remember him and mistrust ME for having allowed him into our lives.
I realized after that guy that I had a serious responsibility to my little family to protect our physical boundaries, our home, and our emotional boundaries.
I wanted to date, but I realized that I just didn't have the strength to deal with the extra energy it takes to do all of that.
I found ways to keep busy, to do things with other families with kids, and my friends, and time has flown by. I'm finally in a place financially emotionally and physically to do it. My kids are a lot older now, and they don't need me to present every minute.
But, I'm still going to wait a while once I find someone before I introduce him to them. I just can't deal with the idea of them crying over a lost daddy.
That should NEVER happen. In a perfect world it wouldn't. But, I picked their dad, and he the things he did, and thats the reality of it.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:31 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

Not that I think I will find someone soon, but when I do, I want to be prepared. I have two children and I do not want them to have the disappointment of yet another man walking away. I know my daughter can't handle it. Her father abandoned her as a toddler and my sons father walked out after 7 years.

I was thinking that after a year of dating, and I feel that it will be a good potential relationship for the foreseeable future, that it might be ok to introduce the kids. But is this realistic? Is a year to long? Not long enough?

What if I invest another year and he decides he hates my kids after meeting them? I am to old to be wasting time with men that are not potential marriage material.

This dating thing truly sucks.
Never thought a random post can still make me cry..

No advice to offer, but I am here for you.

I have two nephews and the family they used to know is now gone. I just wish that there would be somebody nice who can be able to love my sister at the same time, treat my nephews with human decency.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:46 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,422 times
im getting to an age where alot of women have kids. (30yrs old) But with that said, i rather not date a woman with kids.

Funny story: 14 months ago, this girl had feelings for me but I wasn't interested in a romance, just a friendship. Well, she didn't want to be friends and left. I saw the girl yesterday and she has a new 4 month year old baby. So by doing the math, she was first pregnant 13 months ago. So it doesn't look like she was pregnant while she was interested in me, but it was shortly thereafter she was. And she has the right to have sex with whomever she wants, but to get knocked up approx. one month after me saying no.......YIKES.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:00 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Pish Posh.

You can't impose a timeline on what will ultimately be completely unpredictable. You can't predict when you will be ready to date, when you will meet a great guy, when your kids will be ready to meet the great guy.

Okay, so you are thinking ahead, and you are aware that your kids don't need you to install a revolving door for your dates.

I had a very dear friend who thought she should wait to introduce her beau to her kids for about six months. Six weeks in, they bumped into him at a street fair. It was completely organic and non threatening. Hung out together for the rest of the afternoon. Afterwards, her son said, Hey mom, that guy is nice, why don't you go out with him?

Six months later they married and moved in together. Still going strong.

Why not just use your best judgement when the time arrives and take it as it comes? My kids meet people in my life all the time. Co-workers, neighbors, old friends passing through town, they don't give those relationships any particular weight. They just happen. You DO need to model appropriate social interactions and that includes manners, problem solving, comparing value systems and dating. Why impose some sort of artificial rule on when would be the right time to meet a boyfriend?

You can only do this one day at a time. Enjoy the babysteps.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:22 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Pish Posh.

You can't impose a timeline on what will ultimately be completely unpredictable. You can't predict when you will be ready to date, when you will meet a great guy, when your kids will be ready to meet the great guy.

Okay, so you are thinking ahead, and you are aware that your kids don't need you to install a revolving door for your dates.

I had a very dear friend who thought she should wait to introduce her beau to her kids for about six months. Six weeks in, they bumped into him at a street fair. It was completely organic and non threatening. Hung out together for the rest of the afternoon. Afterwards, her son said, Hey mom, that guy is nice, why don't you go out with him?

Six months later they married and moved in together. Still going strong.

Why not just use your best judgement when the time arrives and take it as it comes? My kids meet people in my life all the time. Co-workers, neighbors, old friends passing through town, they don't give those relationships any particular weight. They just happen. You DO need to model appropriate social interactions and that includes manners, problem solving, comparing value systems and dating. Why impose some sort of artificial rule on when would be the right time to meet a boyfriend?

You can only do this one day at a time. Enjoy the babysteps.
Thank you. This does bring me back to reality.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:58 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I am not sure I would marry someone without living with them for some period of time. But I certainly won't bring a man to live with us.
Living together first does not improve the chances of a successful relationship.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:11 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Why not just use your best judgement when the time arrives and take it as it comes?
I think the OP is asking the question because her best judgement isn't all that great. I'm not trying to slam her, I just get the impression that she feels that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships