Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 05:27 PM

364 posts, read 370,996 times

Advertisements

My only question is where are all the dudes that cant conceive a reality outside of their own on this thread? I fully expected a bunch of dudes to troll it saying hook up culture doesn't exist because since they couldn't do it, it must not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 05:32 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
“Hey, maybe we can meet up for a bit at some point this weekend?”

Her: I'd love that! I'm actually free Saturday evening, surprise me.

***Clap…Clap…Clap…Clap…Clap***

And that folks is how a relationship progresses with zero drama

Old 08-11-2014, 05:38 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Her: I'd love that! I'm actually free Saturday evening, surprise me.

***Clap…Clap…Clap…Clap…Clap***

And that folks is how a relationship progresses with zero drama
I didn't write what you quoted me as saying.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:12 PM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
To me, if what you're doing works for you, great! But my takeaway was that the writer is a 20-something and is seeing people's dissatisfaction around her with the dating scene, and pointing out what she believes may be causes of it.

The article really isn't that out there, nor inflammatory. It's not outdated or too formal to actually ask someone out directly, to do something specific at a specific time. If you can't find anyone to maybe sort of hang with sometime, try asking for what you actually want, so the person you're interested in actually knows you're interested.

Like I said, if being ambiguous works, by all means, have at it! But considering that group or non-dating is a newer phenomena, and there seems some angst with it, tells me it's not better than the way dating used to be 15 years ago. It's not about going back to the good ol' days, but it's not that dating broke and needed to be fixed either. It's evolved, and not all of it is for the better. If you never dated "the other way" you can't compare, but I wouldn't trade dating the way I did 20 years ago for the way it is now.
Can't rep you again!

Old 08-11-2014, 06:29 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I guess. I hear that on here, but I really don't see it. My ladyfriend goes to NY posts she's in town on FB a multiple guys try to get with her from her past and multiple guys she never met hit on her that night. She went camping with a female friend in VT and to a swim race, multiple guys hit on her at the after party. It seems one of the number one complaints my lady friends have about going out is that they can't not get hit on.
You must know how to pick 'em! I've dated women who said the last time anyone hit on them was years before. But some of these ladies aren't the partying type, so that must play a role. And some don't have FB, or they've only been in town a couple of years, so there's no one local from their past to FB 'em. Women's situations vary. If they're new in town, it can take a long time to get to know people and get a circle of friends to build from. If you're a real babe, that comes easy. If you're not, it can take a lot longer. In some cities they might strike out altogether, and have to move on, and try someplace else. I've heard all kinds of stories like that from women.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:34 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I guess. I hear that on here, but I really don't see it. My ladyfriend goes to NY posts she's in town on FB a multiple guys try to get with her from her past and multiple guys she never met hit on her that night. She went camping with a female friend in VT and to a swim race, multiple guys hit on her at the after party. It seems one of the number one complaints my lady friends have about going out is that they can't not get hit on.
Complain when they aren't getting attention from men, then complain that they can't find a guy.

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:38 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
The author is a blogger for POF... A site that promotes "dating".
The author takes the socially inept into consideration, but then completely alienates them by telling them to man or woman up. It's your fault!
She basically blames men for most of the problems, but she does give a line or so about women should be proactive and do the asking.
She puts more stock in a pay date, than a casual " let's get together and do something'. She gives the guy who takes her out and buys her dinner 10,000 points.
There's more, but I would suggest that some of you who are woot wooting this re-read and think some more.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
The author is a blogger for POF... A site that promotes "dating".
The author takes the socially inept into consideration, but then completely alienates them by telling them to man or woman up. It's your fault!
She basically blames men for most of the problems, but she does give a line or so about women should be proactive and do the asking.
She puts more stock in a pay date, than a casual " let's get together and do something'. She gives the guy who takes her out and buys her dinner 10,000 points.
There's more, but I would suggest that some of you who are woot wooting this re-read and think some more.
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't read it as preference for a pay date, just preference for a date invitation that gives a specific activity, rather than something very vague. Time to go back and re-read.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:07 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
wait, are we discussing an article that said THIS??:

As for the women out there: Let’s drop the delusion that a series of hookups will hook a boyfriend, and instead hold off on sex until a commitment has been made

WTF

Old 08-11-2014, 08:10 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
wait, are we discussing an article that said THIS??:

As for the women out there: Let’s drop the delusion that a series of hookups will hook a boyfriend, and instead hold off on sex until a commitment has been made

WTF
I think she meant, a commitment to date just one person, vs. hanging out with a number of women at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships