Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,605 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am a 34 (soon to be 35) year old professional woman (divorced, no children) who has recently begun a relationship with a 75 year old gentleman. It is also long distance as I live in Boston and he is in Philadelphia.

We met at a group dinner last fall (he was my 40-year-old brother's realtor from years ago and they became great friends) and sparks flew; however nothing happened until a week ago when I called him to consult about a recent real estate transaction and he declared that he thought I was a beautiful woman. I thanked him but told him a relationship was impossible, then changed my mind the next day.

I have no desire to have children and am decidedly not after his money; in fact, I believe I probably have larger investments than he does based on our recent conversations.

He is incredibly handsome, fit, an avid sailor. He can cook, sing...we both love the same music, and our conversations last for hours. Merely hearing the sound of his voice arouses me.

Tomorrow I am returning to Philly to visit family and he has planned a midnight champagne picnic for us--what is ostensibly our first date! No, I have not told my brother. I think he would be horrified.

Either I cancel now or finish this journey; the man is smitten and I don't want to break his heart.

My ex-husband was 28 years my senior and I swore I'd never date anyone more than 10 years older, yet here I am. I am attracted to older men, but not exclusively; many have a depth that is not often found in younger men.

But 74?! Help!

And thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 01:52 PM

87 posts, read 104,430 times
If those are your feelings? Why fight them? Of course be prepared for people to give looks or make comments about you and him. For Ex: he just a horny old man who should find someone his own age and you want his money (despite what you have told us about your finances beign better than his) but love should be able to triumph about that.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:26 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Go for it. You'll never know how it could turn out unless you give it a chance.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:29 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,085 times
As long as you are going in with your eyes wide open, go for it. If you really feel sparks with him then why not?

Old 08-14-2014, 02:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
the first question i would ask you is, do you think he can make you happy? the second question is can you make him happy?(that answer should be obvious). if you answer in the affirmative, then what is the problem? in the end you have to do what you feel is right for you, and if this feels right, then go for it. just because there is snow on the roof does not mean there is no fire in the fireplace.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:35 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
You're a 34 year old adult woman and can do what she wants.

I've known some guys like that - in their 70s - still really fit, active and handsome for their age, really look like they're around 60-62.

One word of warning - time catches up with everyone and around 80 or thereafter he will start to fall apart and his activity level will decrease dramatically.

I had an aunt who got into a relationship like this - she was around 50, he mid 70s. They had a few great years, travelled the world and all kinds of cool stuff. After he turned 80 he was still pretty active but the kind of athletic stuff he did in his 70s - playing tennis most notably - had to stop. They were still active though - he could walk as far as he wanted, etc... and he still looked good. Then one day when he was 83, BAM! Heart attack hit him and he was dead in an hour. She went on living for decades.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:36 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,457 times
I've known men like this, who have so much energy and vitality they don't appear to be that age at all! Not only that but they have a lifetime of experience to add to their charm.
However, you may consider that no matter how 'old' a man is, he may still be playing the games he played at a much younger age. Just because someone is older doesn't give them a free pass on having integrity and character.
Just like dealing with someone much younger, keep a level head and take as much time as you need in order to know for yourself if he meets your requirements.
If you genuinely have fallen for each other then I think that's sweet. Just enjoy the attention, and try not to be annoyed at other peoples' staring, or their comments at times " Oh you're here with your father, how nice, is it a special occasion?"
My second husband was almost 20 years older than me, and, had aspects to his looks which made him look older. But, that didn't stop me from loving him or spending the years I did with him. But, what ended it was that he had behavior and mental issues that made staying together impossible...although I gave it everything I had. So, that's why I advise you to remember to put the same effort into getting to know him as you would anyone else you might be interested in no matter their age.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:51 PM

564 posts, read 747,244 times
While 40 years might sound a bit much if you like him and he likes you who cares, just go for it.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:55 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annajaspersen View Post
Hello All,

I am a 34 (soon to be 35) year old professional woman (divorced, no children) who has recently begun a relationship with a 75 year old gentleman. It is also long distance as I live in Boston and he is in Philadelphia.

We met at a group dinner last fall (he was my 40-year-old brother's realtor from years ago and they became great friends) and sparks flew; however nothing happened until a week ago when I called him to consult about a recent real estate transaction and he declared that he thought I was a beautiful woman. I thanked him but told him a relationship was impossible, then changed my mind the next day.

I have no desire to have children and am decidedly not after his money; in fact, I believe I probably have larger investments than he does based on our recent conversations.

He is incredibly handsome, fit, an avid sailor. He can cook, sing...we both love the same music, and our conversations last for hours. Merely hearing the sound of his voice arouses me.

Tomorrow I am returning to Philly to visit family and he has planned a midnight champagne picnic for us--what is ostensibly our first date! No, I have not told my brother. I think he would be horrified.

Either I cancel now or finish this journey; the man is smitten and I don't want to break his heart.

My ex-husband was 28 years my senior and I swore I'd never date anyone more than 10 years older, yet here I am. I am attracted to older men, but not exclusively; many have a depth that is not often found in younger men.

But 74?! Help!

And thank you!
How old were you when you lost your dad?

Old 08-14-2014, 03:09 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
How old were you when you lost your dad?
hahahah, good one.

I could not imagine what a 34 year old and a 75 year old have in common.

If you are an inactive couch potato with hobbies like poems, movies, musical instruments, and reading, it can work.

if you are an active person or like to have regular sex ... different story.

Do you really have no other options?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships