Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 01:50 PM

364 posts, read 370,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizo916 View Post
I'm assuming that you're talking about both genders here because you just gave two examples that the woman lies and it should be forgiven. And if the man tells a lie that is similar to your example, a woman should look past that, too.

Yes, we lie because most of us are insecure in some facet in our lives. I may be a great person but I am overweight. Am i going to try to look slim, yes! My friend, who is a male, may not have a job. Is he going to lie, yes! You sum it up quite nicely when you say people do lie in real life and also on dating websites, but the question is how big is this lie(s)?! If that girl from your example LOOK NOTHING like the girl from the picture, then it would be a problem-but i would give her a chance. Hell, I may flat out even ask her, "What's your deal with the pictures?"
Is it ok for a man to lie about his height? Is she a B for walking out on him like a man may do to an overweight woman?

Can a man lie about his sexual past with no issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 01:51 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,278,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wipe out View Post
I don't do online dating so the jist of this thread isn't for me but, there's lies I don't deal with.

Lying about a relationship with a "friend" or more commonly an ex lover is a common one.
Yuck. I have never encountered this. I wonder why it's so common with the women you have met?

I have a problem with being too honest. That's not always a good thing either

Old 08-15-2014, 01:54 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,799,884 times
I just watched a TV show on Nat Geo called "Brain Games" a few days ago and it was about lying. You'd be surprised how much other people lie to you during the day. People start lying at 6 months of age... not by language, but babies are known to fake being hungry to be held. And our brains can even lie to ourselves it seems--and we really believe it.

Some of the videos are here: Watch Brain Games Videos Online - National Geographic Channel - Canada (not full shows). I've been DVRing them the past few days and they seem to repeat if anyone wants to catch it.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:04 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,635,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I just watched a TV show on Nat Geo called "Brain Games" a few days ago and it was about lying. You'd be surprised how much other people lie to you during the day. People start lying at 6 months of age... not by language, but babies are known to fake being hungry to be held. And our brains can even lie to ourselves it seems--and we really believe it.

Some of the videos are here: Watch Brain Games Videos Online - National Geographic Channel - Canada (not full shows). I've been DVRing them the past few days and they seem to repeat if anyone wants to catch it.
That's why I always roll my eyes when someone claims they're 100% honest all the time about everything.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:19 PM

48,514 posts, read 34,800,001 times
I'm with the crowd that thinks lying, and even small lies are bad. I rarely lie, and make it a point to not too, and do not live in a manner that would require it.

Some lies you may be able to understand (someone says they are 39 when they are 40), but I would start looking at them different. I never lied about my age on old, if they didn't want someone 42, or had filters that omitted me, I was fine with that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-16-2014, 09:17 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,635,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm with the crowd that thinks lying, and even small lies are bad. I rarely lie, and make it a point to not too, and do not live in a manner that would require it.
The issue isn't whether lies are good or bad. The issue is what level of dishonesty you can overlook. You said you rarely lie. In other words, you're not 100% honest. Well if you're not honest 100% of the time, then is it realistic to expect others to be? No. I'm not excusing honesty. But people tell little white lies all the time, often to spare people's feelings. And as someone pointed out earlier, it isn't the dishonesty itself that bothers people. It's that the truth isn't pleasant. If the truth ended up being better than the lie, something tells me people wouldn't be so upset over having been lied to.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:02 AM

48,514 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
The issue isn't whether lies are good or bad. The issue is what level of dishonesty you can overlook. You said you rarely lie. In other words, you're not 100% honest. Well if you're not honest 100% of the time, then is it realistic to expect others to be? No. I'm not excusing honesty. But people tell little white lies all the time, often to spare people's feelings. And as someone pointed out earlier, it isn't the dishonesty itself that bothers people. It's that the truth isn't pleasant. If the truth ended up being better than the lie, something tells me people wouldn't be so upset over having been lied to.

Well, first I think white lies are fine, those being something you say to someone to benefit them, not you, and that does not harm them in the long run.

After that, I think it's pretty much black and white. I'm not going to lie to my husband about what I do, what I spend, who I hang with, etc. In my marriage I have pretty strong rules about not lying. I have to be someone my partner can count on.

I've been lied to about a surprise party so that was ok. Some people lie, because they lie to themselves to overlook a truth they don't like.

So no, I don't expect others to be 100% honest, but in the long run I will weed out those who lie about important things and/or those who consider lying a lot okay. It's like art, when it's not okay, I know it when I see (hear) it. Sounds ambiguous, but my husband understands it, so that's what matters most. I have a cousin who lied during a business deal, she was also a good friend, I think she doesn't even saw it as lying, but it was. I'm still deciding if I want to maintain a friendship.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships