Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 03:03 PM

600 posts, read 824,654 times

Advertisements

Pardon as I am not familiar with the process but how does the process work ? You have several mini dates for 5 minutes, have a scorecard then what happens ? Do you do something with the card or is it for your own reference ? I've heard of speed dating but I have not met anyone who has done it before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 03:11 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Yeah what happens is you have a scorecard and talk to a variety of people. In this situation each woman had a small table for two and each guy came by. We chatted five minutes then they moved onto the next station. You then wrote yes or no. The place then either tells you how many said yes and who they were or only matches where both said yes. In my case the place would tell the woman who said yes in case they decided. The ones who said yes were guys I had zero interest in.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:38 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times
It's interesting how people are compatible with each other in such different ways. Me, I almost always screen out anyone who is in sales of any sort. I figure they are good at manipulating and being fake, which are big turnoffs for me.

And I like STEM folks the best -- some people automatically rule them out .

Old 08-16-2014, 04:45 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
STEM folks are the ones that I relate to the best... I can't abide by the underwater basket weaving set.......

Old 08-16-2014, 05:04 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I'm so glad you had fun .

I'm surprised you think retiring young = boring. It means someone is free to have fun! Maybe not that guy, though...
Yes, in my haste, retired=boring was the wrong way to put it. I do think that people should enjoy their work and I would NEVER retire at 50 regardless of how much money I had.

Tom said that now that he is retired he spends his days online doing day trading. He mentioned no other hobbies or interests. THAT sounded boring. And he seemed a little smug about building his retirement portfolio. I don't give a squat about his money. My ex husband also places a lot of his self-worth in his paycheck. PLUS I dated a guy once who had gotten laid off and was planning to start day trading. He was a hopeless idiot. How do I know Tom is really retired and not just some unemployed guy? so it was a negative connection for me all around.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
It's interesting how people are compatible with each other in such different ways. Me, I almost always screen out anyone who is in sales of any sort. I figure they are good at manipulating and being fake, which are big turnoffs for me.

And I like STEM folks the best -- some people automatically rule them out .
I agree, my ex is a salesman and there were lots of late nights, client dinners, out of town travel to golf tournaments/nascar races/deep sea fishing. I did see him being fake with clients. As a natural introvert, it wore him out and he had nothing left for his family.

I tend to meet IT types (my city is thick with them) but all things considered, I'd most like to date a TEACHER!

Old 08-16-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Yeah what happens is you have a scorecard and talk to a variety of people. In this situation each woman had a small table for two and each guy came by. We chatted five minutes then they moved onto the next station. You then wrote yes or no. The place then either tells you how many said yes and who they were or only matches where both said yes. In my case the place would tell the woman who said yes in case they decided. The ones who said yes were guys I had zero interest in.
That's pretty much how it was! In this case, you go online and select those you are interested in. If they also said yes, you get their email address.

But I have no idea if some of the guys I did NOT select selected me, I don't get to see that.

Are you ready for the drum roll? 20 hours after the event, I have received.......................ONE................ ....match w/Email from the salesman with the craggy bone structure who I thought would be fun but maybe not good for an LTR. His son, like my daughter, is a theater major so we talked about theater.

Last edited by Stagemomma; 08-16-2014 at 05:32 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 05:25 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
That's pretty much how it was! In this case, you go online and select those you are interested in. If they also said yes, you get their email address.

But I have no idea if some of the guys I did NOT select selected me, I don't get to see that.

Are you ready for the drum roll? 20 hours after the event, I have received.......................ONE................ ....match w/Email from the salesman with the craggy bone structure who I thought would be fun but maybe not good for an LTR. His son, like my daughter, is a theater major so we talked about theater.
Sorry, OP. Thanks for the update, but wow, that's really disappointing. And you were so positive and upbeat, too--it seems like you really tried to be open to people. I think you had more yeses than most women at those events.

*sigh*

Just curious: how do women dress for these events?

Old 08-16-2014, 05:30 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

That really stinks. It's time like this where I'd wonder why I wasn't selected.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sorry, OP. Thanks for the update, but wow, that's really disappointing. And you were so positive and upbeat, too--it seems like you really tried to be open to people. I think you had more yeses than most women at those events.

*sigh*

Just curious: how do women dress for these events?
Oh! Gosh! I'm not feeling disappointed at all! One date with a decent guy would be an acceptable outcome. I can't second guess these guys. For some reason, this seemed to be more about meeting people and not so much about finding a Significant Other. Maybe because on OLD we get TOO MUCH information and tend to make decisions about people before we meet. But now, since I actually know very little about them, I'm less personally invested. The ones who seemed interested could end up not picking me for a gazillion reasons I don't need to second guess. I felt I handled my self pretty well, so I have no Monday Morning quarterbacking. I did not feel in competition with these women at all. Esp at this age, we are who we are, and either a guy is going to like us or not. I felt more like: we are all in this together girls! If I go again, I'll be the one welcoming the newbie women and helping them feel at ease, give them someone to talk to for that first 15 minutes so they don't feel awkward.

And that was just the first match. I got a second one a few minutes ago, from the guy who owns the landscaping company. Very handsome, we talked about books.

I meet people at work every day. They come to my desk and I help them with all sorts of things. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds, sometimes it takes 30 minutes but very often: 5 minutes. I ALWAYS try to make sure they got what they came in for. I frequently try to think that I'm establishing a relationship with a neighbor. Sometimes they talk to me about what they are reading, or the news of the day, or their problems. I might be a little like a bartender! Today I helped a homeless guy find a nearby AA meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships