Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 05:07 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,189 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am a 29 yr. old single male. I live in a big city. I moved here a couple of years ago but still haven't made any friends. I have in the past but all of them have either gotten involved in relationships or stopped contacting for whatever reason (this is not what this thread is about by the way just to be clear). I have a ton of social anxiety so it's very difficult for me to meet people unless I meet them online. I never feel comfortable at bars or clubs. It seems like there aren't a lot of places you can go to alone without the possibility of getting the weird looks from other people and feeling like a creep. Sometimes, it would just be really nice to be able to go somewhere alone but yet be around people and not feel so trapped at home all of the time if that makes any sense. Some things I have done in the past include:

- Going to the beach (I live right next to one)
- Going to festivals
- Going to museums
- Going to an arcade type place like Dave and Buster's
- Going to a Barnes and Noble
- Going to Starbucks

In these places, I can easily blend in with the crowd and not feel so self-conscious or have social anxiety attacks about it. Anyone have any other suggestions? Do you ever do this sort of thing? What types of places do you go to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 05:15 PM

39,200 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post

- Going to festivals
- Going to museums
- Going to Starbucks
These all sound pretty good. I do all these with friends or alone. How about movies? You can watch a movie or two alone as well.

I recently broke my leg so I have to change a lot of plans. I have to rely on friends and families to move me around. I go to the beach and draw people's portraits to entertain myself again. I have absolutely zero social life right now, so I am here on city data a lot.

When my legs are getting better, I will move to a foreign country for at least months. I will hit the club and the bars.

Not interested in dating. I am just taking things slow and enjoying some alone time.

I like to drive, and enjoy all types of water sports. (when I can move freely)

You live by the beach, Barefoot skiing is my favorite sports, maybe you can try that alone or with somebody else.

The most important thing is having fun. Good luck.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:27 PM

244 posts, read 707,123 times
Depends really on your interests. Even though I have no right to tell you how to live your life, I would see if you can look into tackling your anxiety and stress. Because I dealt with the same thing over time. I would see if you can find a program that helps people like you, but a few things that come up is taking walks in the park or beach. I love the park because I can write, I also live in the big city, but people tend to be more focused on themselves than complete strangers. Good luck and I hope you feel better!

Old 08-16-2014, 07:39 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
public library! No one thinks twice if you are alone, and you can hang out for hours.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:22 PM

753 posts, read 1,103,991 times
When I lived in Boston, I liked to walk around different neighborhoods, through the parks, stopping in at interesting bookshops or ethnic food stores, etc. I also enjoyed going ice skating, and took a few classes at the Boston Center for Adult Education.

As a long-time single person I basically do everything alone and have never been aware of weird looks or being treated like a creep; I wonder if you're imagining that, or at least exaggerating it. So what if somebody looks at you funny? Are you going to let even the *possibility* that somebody might look at you funny stop you from doing something you want to do?

Old 08-16-2014, 09:56 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,185,983 times
any kind of art stuff. Chicago must be loaded with a local art scene. The beauty too - you see the same ppl all the time and you all get to know each other.

I can show up anywhere really in my town if it is a local art event, enjoy myself, and likely run into ppl I am acquainted with. I stopped even making plans with others to go it was easy just to run into others.

festivals is a great one, glad you found it.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:08 AM

10,060 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
- Going to festivals
- Going to museums
- Going to Starbucks
I do all of these, although I'll prioritize a local coffee shop & bookstore over Starbucks or B&N. Someone else mentioned public libraries, which I also endorse.

I'll add: hiking trails, sports bars, city or county parks, live music show, theatre, movie theater. If I'm alone I try to see plays either Thursday night or Sunday afternoons, movies any time except Friday/Saturday night. It it's something I really want to see I'll say f*** it and go solo on a Friday or Saturday night - I'm not going to miss a band, performance or art show or something that I've been looking forward to because a flaky girl won't agree to go with me. That said, I try to arrange that on weeknights or Sunday matinees if at all possible. Friday/Saturday nights are for lovers and it just makes me more self-conscious.

Be happy that you're in a big city. I live in a small town so I don't even have all these things in close proximity and it sucks.

Quote:
I have in the past but all of them have either gotten involved in relationships or stopped contacting for whatever reason
Whereever you go, there you are. This happens everywhere, to everyone.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:27 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
go to a sports bar. you have a reason to go if your team is playing, so no one will look at you funny. it also lets you engage others with a similar interest, presumably everyone there is a fan of the sport or team that is playing. this way when you interact with others, it isnt weird.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:55 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
live music spots, church, fitness center/gym, movie theater.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:33 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,736,861 times
Join some activities or sports teams. Hang out with some guys who have girlfriends. Show their girlfriends that you're not a douche and want a relationship. Those ladies will take care of things for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships