Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:23 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,016,868 times

Advertisements

The part I would like to point out - lifestyle choices.

I am not a soda drinker, processed foods or fast foods eater, and I prefer fresh and organic. I don't like empty calorie munchie foods, and I don't buy them. Couponing craze is lost of me because you can't exactly get couples for carrots.

I already know from experience that this shift in eating habits creates a rift in home life with a relationship.

Last edited by dragon_fly_12; 08-18-2014 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,411,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMartialArtist View Post
I just notice that, I am only good friends / can only date people who like the same kind foods that I eat.
I like fresh local organic foods with few additives, prefer micro brew and mom and pop restaurants to mass produced beer and chain restaurants. My good friends are of different ancestries and cultures, but we like this kind of foods and often invite each other over for authentic home cook dishes.

What are your takes on this?
Odd.. The people I'm closest to, and the guys I end up in relationships with.. we do share very similar tastes in food. We're very open to trying different ethnic cuisines, and we tend to like eating organic and shop for healthy ingredients. We try to avoid processed foods at all costs, and anything savory and spicy is great! (Maybe not jalepeno pepper poppin spicy tho- I know some people can eat it straight like pickles)

Old 08-18-2014, 11:35 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,140,318 times
If your life revolves around your diet, then this may make sense. This is true of militant vegetarians and vegans, because they get offended by omnivores.

I have a friend who is gluten-free and going vegan and blah blah blah and it gets old to hear about.
She can talk about food for HOURS. I have little need to comment on such things. I just don't find it interesting. To me, it's like discussing laundry or something - WHO CARES.

I like natural & fresh over processed junk too, but I'm not fanatical and will eat a cheeseburger sometimes. I like local eateries over chains, but I'll go wherever there is good food - no big deal. Some chains aren't bad, and I prefer to go by what tastes good over a bias for a certain size of establishment.

I think I better understand flexible people who are interested in more spiritual and abstract things, less so people who are really focused on everyday stuff like what they food they eat. That said, I obviously have friends like the latter, but it's because I am easy-going.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:37 PM

48,513 posts, read 34,790,793 times
I appreciate someone with an adventurous palate, and find that usually correlates with their lifestyle. If someone is unable to try new, culinary things, they are usually unable to try new things in life. Normally, it's a good indicator.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-19-2014, 12:07 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,813,269 times
i never use food as an indicator with people. even though i eat meat, i have dated women that were vegetarians, and when we were out together, i would eat a vegetarian diet for the most part, though i would have certain "acceptable" meats from time to time, usually seafood.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:52 AM

19,362 posts, read 15,214,116 times
Quote:
I have copied, later integrated personalities of cool, lovable girls that I like.
Read about Nicola Tesla and Wang XiangZhai and feel inspired “to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.†and "work together with others to promote natural human potential and virtues of a warrior, to eliminate wrong teachings of those who deceive themselves and deceive others."

What cool changes have you made because you like someone a lot ?
I'm not quite sure if I know exactly what you're asking me here, but I'll try to answer. What I mean is, even if I feel strongly about a certain issue, and this person I like doesn't care about the issue, as long as I feel a strong connection to them, and as long as I feel like they're basically a "decent" person and are just coming at it from a different angle than me, I'm okay with it.

It could be any issue from more serious ones like religious beliefs or political, to less serious like musical tastes or food preferences.

Did I answer your question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
If your life revolves around your diet, then this may make sense. This is true of militant vegetarians and vegans, because they get offended by omnivores.

I have a friend who is gluten-free and going vegan and blah blah blah and it gets old to hear about.
She can talk about food for HOURS. I have little need to comment on such things. I just don't find it interesting. To me, it's like discussing laundry or something - WHO CARES.

I like natural & fresh over processed junk too, but I'm not fanatical and will eat a cheeseburger sometimes. I like local eateries over chains, but I'll go wherever there is good food - no big deal. Some chains aren't bad, and I prefer to go by what tastes good over a bias for a certain size of establishment.

I think I better understand flexible people who are interested in more spiritual and abstract things, less so people who are really focused on everyday stuff like what they food they eat. That said, I obviously have friends like the latter, but it's because I am easy-going.
I agree.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:58 AM

20,747 posts, read 19,943,301 times
I never thought that food matters in a relationship but it does.

My ex didn't like my healthy cooking. I threw tons of cook books out because the dishes were with too many veggies, not enough fat and grease and sugar.

He wanted MEAT, FAT, Burgers, Fries, donuts and balls of sugar. He rather had the baked goods out of the box as my low sugar baking from scratch.

I lost complete interest in cooking and baking and we went out to restaurants a lot where he put me down because I ate a salad while he wolfed down his burgers and then blamed his weight on slow metabolism. I have to eat healthy to keep my figure and he was the first one to make jokes about overweight people .. so....

After we broke up, I dated a guy who loved, loved, loved the way I cooked and everything was just so much easier. No explanations why I eat half a donut and not 4. No feeling bad about not eating burgers three times per week.

FOOD IS IMPORTANT in a relationship!

Old 08-19-2014, 08:07 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,226,462 times
Quote:

who in the right mind will make a big deal out of pigs ears ? Congratz ^ ^
Lots of people make a big deal about certain animal parts lol I grew up eating pig snout, tail, feet/knuckles. We grew up with parents who ate lambs heads (we were given a choice if we wanted to eat it or not lol). My husband didn't eat nearly as many different things as he does now

But I'm with you--I prefer smaller restaurants who buy local ingredients. Those big chain restaurants are mediocre, at best.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:18 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,940,597 times
The only time we fight is when it's time to eat.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:19 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,358,315 times
Quote:
is it me or this sounds a bit offensive? Tell me about a broad way to live?

who in the right mind will make a big deal out of pigs ears ? Congratz ^ ^

my points exactly!
Narrow because it means you're only letting in a certain type of person chosen by a very arbitrary measure. Look, I just got into an argument on another thread about the importance of political affiliation in choosing a partner, and I really do believe it's important to me. So I understand about using certain things that are important to you to screen people.

But you're not talking about a romantic partner. You're talking about YOUR ENTIRE SOCIAL SET. I suppose if your world revolves entirely around food, that's fine. But that seems odd. And one's food choices don't really say THAT much about who they are as a person. It also seems like a great way to screen people out based on education and socioeconomic class - because most of my friends who are less educated and from less wealthy backgrounds aren't that into being picky about their food, though a few of them are.

I know a lot of good people who are interesting and intelligent and yet could not pick a decent restaurant to save their lives. If I used your methodology for managing my social life, they would not be a part of my life and my life would be much poorer for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships