Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 06:08 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,191,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if you are a 30 year old kidult sitting on moms living room floor playing video child games, jobless and flunked out of school, waiting for mommy to feed you, being single is an easy choice.
The only positive I can potentially see is IF instead his destiny otherwise was to create offspring with one or more women then be shackled with CS payments for each. So in that case scenario you stated would be much better for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 06:25 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,191,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobarX View Post
That's why you don't enter a marriage with a large income differential.
That's why one doesn't enter any marriage period as that income differential can change and or she decides (this does exist and happens) as to quite her job and not to work any more then after a year or so file for divorce. If he does the same the judge will tell him to "man up" and will get nothing while for the woman she gets rewarded.

This is pretty much how it is and the crude truth on how the laws and society sees and enacts this.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:37 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,799,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
This is false. Even with IVF (which is only successful 1/3 of the time if that much), the ability to have children GREATLY diminishes when the woman is passed 35 or so, anecdotal evidence aside.
Well, yeah fertility (on average) drops by mid 30s, but a women is still fertile until menopause (which, at average is 51 years old). And with modern medicine, you can increase your fertility with drugs by altering your hormone levels and how many eggs are released to be fertilized (you don't even need to go IVF although that further increases chances).

Look at "the greatest generation." They typically had the first child in early 20s, then another in mid 20s, late 20s, early 30s, then maybe mid 30s because they wanted lots of kids (4-5 kids). But they were having kids well into their mid 30s (and like I said, both of my youngest uncles were born to my grandparents when my grandmothers were 40 and 42 respectively... and that's without any drugs or modern medicine).

My point is, years ago, parents were starting to have babies in their 20s because there were no other options and if they wanted their "dream family of 4-5 kids, they had to start early. Now people typically want no more than 1 or 2 kids if they even want kids at all. So they can wait until their 30s when in the past people had their last couple of kids. And if their fertility is decreased, they can turn to modern medicine to increase it.

Last edited by jillabean; 08-22-2014 at 06:48 AM..

Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,687,389 times
After being married for 25 years IMO men are now expected to be more empathetic and understanding, yet manly usually when their SO wants them to be. Even then he must strike the right balance between the two (masculine vs nurturing) or there will be untold damage and chaos to the relationship. Men who are not in a relationship see this dynamic (or were involved in the same thing) and decide not to be in a committed relationship, or get back into one. I also think that years ago men and women had more clearly defined roles, and while I understand that times have changed there seems to be a stigma attached to a "man being a man". Men (again IMO) are expected to change and adapt to this much more than women. Those who can have a continuing relationship, and those who can't end up divorced. Once divorced a good number of those men who now experience their opinions without consequences decide life is better this way.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:10 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,569,273 times
In my opinion, marriage is outdated. People nowadays get married for all the wrong reasons and not for the values that it was intended.

-Some couples get married right away because their so caught up in the lust of being with someone they initially connect with that they think its love when its really not.

-Women are constantly being pressured by society to get married.

As a man I'm content with just being able to be with and spend time with someone with whom I'm compatible with. If marriage comes then it comes. It's definitely not an immediate priority though.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:13 AM

36,503 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Part of me fantasizes a significant decline of marriage rates. I wonder what this society will be like and how it will respond. Of course, it's unlikely that the majority of people don't marry. But it's certainly intriguing to think about such a scenario.
I doubt many will take notice. People have been living as a couple without marriage for a long time, long distance relationships seem to be on the rise and a great percentage of children are raised in single parent hh or by relatives. Personally, if it weren't for co-workers and their family and friends getting married every month and me having to hear all about it, I wouldn't give marriage rates a second thought.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:22 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,822,410 times
Quote:
From my observation, there seem to be a lot more single and unmarried men (both straight and gay) these days than in the past.

What are the causes of this phenomenon?
Are you a man who is happily single or unmarried but in a relationship? If so, what are your reasons?

This is part of this country becoming a place of singletons. How do we envision our society's future ?
More women staying single, therefore more men staying single.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:39 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,081 times
Quote:
The question is how it became so competitive? Are there fewer men than women? Or more women unavailable and men available? Or too many people pursuing limited number of candidates while ignoring other candidates?
It's competitive for men, more now than ever.

Women can rely on the Gov't for financial support and the "unmarried woman" stigma went away decades ago.

Men not only have to compete against other men, but against the Gov't through welfare/social programs to be the traditional provider/protector. Divorces are up and family courts are overwhelmingly in favor of women.

And more women are working/in college today than ever.

Men are competing against women in a job market that has no clear dividing lines with gender.

Women don't need men anymore.

This is the biggest difference in generations past and what's going on today.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:45 PM

326 posts, read 348,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
It's competitive for men, more now than ever.

Women can rely on the Gov't for financial support and the "unmarried woman" stigma went away decades ago.

Men not only have to compete against other men, but against the Gov't through welfare/social programs to be the traditional provider/protector. Divorces are up and family courts are overwhelmingly in favor of women.

And more women are working/in college today than ever.

Women don't need men anymore.

This is the biggest difference in generations past and what's going on today.
Women need attractive men to approach thats what I learned when I tried approaching ugly men shouldn't even try.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:54 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
That is the main reason I don't want to get married. Divorce terrifies me. A lot of women can be vindictive during divorce. I can't take that risk.
I think women tend to be vindictive in general.

Ever work in an office full of women? Ever notice their "sheeplike" behavior? Heard any stories about women ganging up on an individual to get them fired over something trivial? False harassment accusations?

You don't even have to be in a relationship with them to be in danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships