Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 10:33 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Exactly! Love and friendship never last in life. My education however will. That's why it's so important to me. I won't let anybody stand in the way of that. I'm not successful with women at all, but that's not a big deal. I want to be successful in life.
Well, friendship can and does last (at least for me). Like I said, the friends I made in college are still my friends today (only lost touch with a two close friends from college). Same with high school friends--we still get together, do things, etc. Maybe not as much, but we still keep in touch and are friends. But it does seem to me that young love doesn't last (and college being young love). I think it's because people are still maturing and discovering who they are. I think what it is, if friends go in slightly different directions it's not as jarring when a lover goes in a different direction.

Anyway, that doesn't mean don't try young love... I am just saying I don't think it should be a priority. If you need to cut something to stay on top academically, I would make dating one of the first things to go (maybe right after partying or something).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 10:37 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Well, friendship can and does last (at least for me). Like I said, the friends I made in college are still my friends today (only lost touch with a two close friends from college). Same with high school friends--we still get together, do things, etc. Maybe not as much, but we still keep in touch and are friends. But it does seem to me that young love doesn't last (and college being young love). I think it's because people are still maturing and discovering who they are. I think what it is, if friends go in slightly different directions it's not as jarring when a lover goes in a different direction.

Anyway, that doesn't mean don't try young love... I am just saying I don't think it should be a priority. If you need to cut something to stay on top academically, I would make dating one of the first things to go (maybe right after partying or something).
The friends I have now, we all met in the 2nd grade. 16 years later, we are still friends to this day. Those are the friendships that matter to me. I have learned that most college relationships never last anyways, why would I waste my time on something that won't last? That's why I go to school, go to class, listen to the lecture, and then go home. Dating simply isn't important.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post

I agree with Jilla....don't shut out the possibility of dating. Just make sure you do with someone you really enjoy spending time with, don't do it just because a lot of people here are advising you to, do it because you want to.

I am really focused on school and working as well, but if a guy happens to come a long and I like him, I will date him. Same thing with friendships. My luck with guys isn't the best, same with friends, and I am not as social as I used to be, but I won't close off the opportunities if they present themselves.

Life has a habit of putting people in our lives that we never thought we would get close to. It happens naturally and out of the blue sometimes. Whether you intend to like or befriend the person or not.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:14 AM

2,199 posts, read 3,356,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Tervor View Post
One strategy I had was to sit next to an attractive chick in class and say something like " you look smart, I'm going to cheat off you for the semester and take it from there. Any other strategies?
Eww to your line. Introduce yourself to hallmates right after you move in. If you have a tv in your room or netflix make popcorn or nachos and invite your female (and male) hallmates. If they have a tv in the common area, provide the treats and invite female hallmates to join you watching (whatever). Do this within the first few days when everyone is new and anxious to meet others. Also join clubs that you’re interested in (& meet women who share the same interest).

Old 08-22-2014, 11:31 AM

374 posts, read 393,172 times
Quote:
College is starting I'm a freshman and the pecking prder has not been set yet. So i have decided to put myself out there in order to get my social stock high and therefore attract more females. One strategy I had was to sit next to an attractive chick in class and say something like " you look smart, I'm going to cheat off you for the semester and take it from there. Any other strategies?
You're a freshmen, don't worry about it right off the bat, you're going to have plenty of chances to meet women in College.

There are so many functions in class and out of class to meet them.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:34 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
College is starting I'm a freshman and the pecking prder has not been set yet. So i have decided to put myself out there in order to get my social stock high and therefore attract more females. One strategy I had was to sit next to an attractive chick in class and say something like " you look smart, I'm going to cheat off you for the semester and take it from there. Any other strategies?

There is no "pecking order" unless you are an animal in the wild.
Do not refer to a young woman you have an interest in as a "chick" unless she is in the hen house laying eggs.
If you told me you were going to sit next to me just to cheat I would immediately move to the other side of the room.

Why not just say hello and introduce yourself? Is it really necessary to play stupid games or make everything a joke?

Old 08-22-2014, 11:37 AM

324 posts, read 294,356 times
Quote:
College is meant for you to invest in your education, not waste time with drama.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:40 AM

374 posts, read 393,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanWarrior View Post
College is meant for you to invest in your education, not waste time with drama.
A lot of people will tell you that college is also about learning to live life as an adult, socially I think its important to get out there and enjoy the college atmosphere. Of course that's assuming grades don't slip.

Education first, but enjoy the experience as well. If you don't, you'll regret it.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:42 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Quote:
I don't talk to women much, but even I know that's lame and would never try that on a woman I don't know.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:00 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You need to learn how to balance both. If you box it off like that, you'll look up one day and realize the pool of women who would date you has shrunk dramatically, and you'll be surrounded by other guys who did the same thing.

Then you'll be back on this forum asking why you can't get a date.

Focus is good. Tunnel vision is unhealthy.

**ETA:
Nevermind. I remember an old thread where you said that you don't trust women anyway, so what does it matter??
49ers is working full-time and going to school as a non-traditional student, an older student, not a teen or 21-year-old. At this stage in life, he has to learn to stay focussed on his goal, which is getting his nursing degree, so he can get a better job than he has now. He was flunking out back when he was dating AND working full-time AND trying to get his pre-med courses in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships