Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:35 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Your kids are too young to deal with a divorce, but they are old enough to deal with a depressed, alcoholic mother with self esteem issues? It's a pitty that you actually believe you are doing something to help your kids when the opposite is true.
I was thinking this too.

Move on till she gets better...if, she gets better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 08:36 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
That's really hard.... I agree that it might benefit you to continue counseling on your own.

If she has cheated on you and is really creating a negative atmosphere with her substance abuse and emotional problems, then those effects really may be worse on children than divorce. That is not simply two people "falling out of love" or "arguing a lot" or whatever reasons people come up with to divorce that seem like they could put more effort into solving, but these are pretty serious problems that cannot be solved if she doesn't want to address them.

I think it's great to want to keep a family together & to fight to save it, but there comes a point where it may be healthier to divorce.

Don't become involved with anyone else until you are 100% single again and have given yourself ample time to heal. That's for the benefit of your kids too. If you decide to stay in the marriage, then you have to do so with integrity, because kids are going to see through sham marriages anyway, and now they've lost out on having even one respectable parent.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:39 PM

531 posts, read 2,898,606 times
I appreciate all the opinions. As someone else pointed out, I know that if we do divorce, odds are very high that she, the mom, would get the kids. And as unhappy as I may be now, not having my kids and worrying about their safety is a whole deeper level of unhappiness.

The kids have no idea anything is wrong (I know, I know, kids are smart, etc etc.). We don't fight, don't yell at each other, are friendly to one another (unless we're in the middle of a conflict, in which case we are at least cordial in front of the kids), etc. My wife's drinking is somewhat under control. She's not a daily drinker and has only had one slip in the last 6 months. Is it more damaging for the kids to be in this situation than to go through a divorce? I don't think so. If that changes, then I'd take the next step.

Absolutely 100% of my focus right now is on the kids and what is best for them. If divorce were best for them, I would be doing that, trust me.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post

The kids have no idea anything is wrong yet.
There, fixed it for you.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:21 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post

Staying together for kids is worse than divorce.
Believe it or not, in my experience this is not always true.

Yes, life with a dysfunctional parent can very hard on kids. But kids are remarkably clueless to the nuances of the human condition. The destruction of the family unit is something that is VERY hard for a child to process.

If the kids are under age 5, I would say divorce. If they are older, stay together and deal.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 08-22-2014 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
I agree with Aurelia and Tabula.

My divorce will be final next week (here's hoping!).

Like you, I felt very alone and lonely throughout most of my 22-year marriage. Neither of us have/had substance abuse issues, but the problems we did have were, ultimately, insurmountable. I stuck it out for a few reasons, the primary one, of course, being my 3 kids.

No, I didn't have any extra-marital relationships (though I was very tempted to). I just hung on as best I could, but I knew I would someday leave.

My having to tolerate my husband's treatment was one thing. But when I saw how that was affecting my kids (my husband's behavior AND my consequent unhappiness) - and had been for years - then I knew it was time to get out. I know my kids will find it a relief to no longer have to live with so much tension.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:31 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
I appreciate all the opinions. As someone else pointed out, I know that if we do divorce, odds are very high that she, the mom, would get the kids. And as unhappy as I may be now, not having my kids and worrying about their safety is a whole deeper level of unhappiness.

The kids have no idea anything is wrong (I know, I know, kids are smart, etc etc.). We don't fight, don't yell at each other, are friendly to one another (unless we're in the middle of a conflict, in which case we are at least cordial in front of the kids), etc. My wife's drinking is somewhat under control. She's not a daily drinker and has only had one slip in the last 6 months. Is it more damaging for the kids to be in this situation than to go through a divorce? I don't think so. If that changes, then I'd take the next step.

Absolutely 100% of my focus right now is on the kids and what is best for them. If divorce were best for them, I would be doing that, trust me.

They absolutely know everything that is going on and you are kidding yourself if you believe that they don't.

As much as you want to deny this fact it won't change the truth that the children are being affected every moment you and your wife think you are being cordial or putting up a good front when the children are present.

However, it is your life, they are your children and it is your choice to believe as you wish so carry on.
As far as custody goes that can go either way however, if you and your wife have a written agreement regarding custody or you can prove she is drinking, doing drugs, staying out late and having affairs things could go very differently in court as far as custody goes.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:34 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Yes, life with a dysfunctional parent can very hard on kids. But kids are remarkably clueless to the nuances of the human condition. The destruction of the family unit is something that is VERY hard for a child to process.

If the kids are under age 5, I would say divorce. If they are older, stay together and deal.
At that age I was wishing my parents would get away from each other or he would die already.
Don't think age has anything to do with how children are affected and children can and do "process" everything that goes on around them quite well.
They may not be able to properly verbalize their feelings on a adult level but they are processing every tiny detail and they will never forget every one of those tiny details.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Absolutely, 100 million percent disagree.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:42 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Change is hard, but it is part of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships