Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 03:47 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,300,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
As a kid, I was bullied to the extreme for my shyness, but I pulled myself out of that kind of way of being in middle school. I never after the fifth grade allowed anyone to intimidate or bully me to that degree again. People still tried, and I was still shy to a large degree, but, no one would ever get away with being a bully to me anymore as I wasn't having it. I don't dislike shy people, I just don't want to be with someone that allows others to walk all over them.

PS, I'm still a very quiet reserved person, but, I speak my mind.
Same here. I might be docile and quiet. But if someone tried to intimidate me or push me around, I'd let them have it and tell them off. I'm no pushover by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 03:50 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,300,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Extroverted people can be extremely annoying and they also come off as needy to me...... of course these are generalizations and I'm usually against making too many sweeping comments.

In my experience is how I should frame this argument.
Some extroverts are very nice people. But some act like they're better than shy people. Those types of extroverts come off as condescending douchebags.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:54 PM

39,190 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
As a kid, I was bullied to the extreme for my shyness, but I pulled myself out of that kind of way of being in middle school. I never after the fifth grade allowed anyone to intimidate or bully me to that degree again. People still tried, and I was still shy to a large degree, but, no one would ever get away with being a bully to me anymore as I wasn't having it. I don't dislike shy people, I just don't want to be with someone that allows others to walk all over them.

PS, I'm still a very quiet reserved person, but, I speak my mind.

I have been bullied and the more they bullied me, the more I stood up for myself. I also speak my mind if I feel somebody else have been bullied.

Nobody deserves this.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:54 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,993,938 times
What kind of answers are you looking for, Raena?

Do you want to know how the relationship started, how it progressed, how it ended?

I don't imagine you wantedto start a conversation about shy vs introverted (above).

Old 08-24-2014, 05:15 PM

418 posts, read 727,384 times
I consider myself extremely shy. I've done okay-ish on dating a for several reasons: I can hold up my end of a conversation if someone else starts it, online dating makes things "clearer," and getting to know people while at school or some other activity makes things easier. I have asked men out a few times, but they've never been interested back, so I haven't done it in a while.

Some guys I've dated have been shy, some haven't.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:22 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
What kind of answers are you looking for, Raena?

Do you want to know how the relationship started, how it progressed, how it ended?

I don't imagine you wantedto start a conversation about shy vs introverted (above).
You are correct and I would like to know how the relationship started, progressed then if it ended or is still going.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:27 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Maybe that's my problem?
It's mine too actually. Too many comparisons and second guessing.

Believe it or not I'm shy at first then warm up,, next I don't shut up.

(Be quiet A.....lol)

Old 08-24-2014, 08:32 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,291 times
In my experience shy women have a tendency to wear me out. I used to be a really shy guy in my late teens, but really opened up and blossomed when I was 20-21. I wanted female attention, so I put myself out there and forced myself to be extroverted. Now, there's not much I can talk about with a shy person. It's not that being shy is a bad thing, but the conversation seems to be so slow and I'm creating most of the conversation. It's just not a situation that I really want to put myself in these days.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:00 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,799,884 times
I am very introverted. I test 100% on those Myers Briggs tests. But I am also very outgoing and friendly. I talk to strangers all the time and try to make people feel welcome if they look nervous. I am also very sociable, but usually with small groups of people. I just need some time to myself and away from others to unwind and relax is all. I also keep a lot of stuff "locked up" in my head (which is probably why all my friends see me as their personal psychologist). They can tell me everything and know I will never tell another soul.

You can very easily be introverted and not shy. I am proof of that.

That said, I used to be shy. I think it had a huge effect on my dating life in my early 20s. Men didn't notice me at all... ever. Didn't have a date from the time I was 19-25. I get a lot more interest from men now and all that's really changed about me is I am older (and look older) and I am more outgoing.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:05 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm a pretty shy guy.

Not as bad now that I'm older, but when I was younger I was really really shy. Matter of fact, I hardly ever approached women, they seemed like they approached me more. Of course, I was devilishly handsome and while my looks have faded, I've got some mad comedy skills which would help if I was out in the market....

I hear it's not bragging if you can back it up.....
God, I'm envious of that. I've always been told I'm good looking, but I never believed it and was always shy and feared rejection. I'm only funny when I get to know someone, but not at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I feel some shy people have better analyzing skills yet miss many chances.
Exactly. Story of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships