Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 12:28 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

It's not a mature notion to believe that a relationship is going to be all fun all the time. All relationships go through some dead time from time to time, especially when you have external demands active kids. I remember one awful fall where we had two boys on two separate soccer teams, a daughter on a volleyball team, Cub Scouts, violin, school activities, church activities, you name it. That's in addition to cooking, cleaning, school assignments, and doing yard work. So our weekends consisted of heaving ourselves out of bed at 7 a.m. on Saturday and being too tired to think by 10 p.m. Sunday night. I remember naming the last day of soccer season "Liberation Day" because we finally actually had an entire day of freedom.

For our tenth anniversary, I bamboozled my mother to watch the kids for five days while we went to an all-inclusive south of Cancun. But we were so spent from our hectic lives that all we did was sit on the beach, quaff whatever the waiter brought over, and read books. There was one day when we literally spoke twenty words to one another. "Lunch?" "Sure." We were that exhausted.

That's when we said, "Whoa. Enough." While the kids still had their activities, we were determined to not be the super parents. So we began doing things to carve out time for ourselves. No matter what, we had one night a week where we went out to eat, have drinks, whatever. And, every night after dinner, MrsCPG and I made time to talk for 30 minutes without interruptions.

The last thing? Kill your television. Television destroys more marriages than adultery, because you're too busy paying attention to the idiot box to pay attention to one another. If you sit there and watch television night after night, your mind will turn to mush and you will become an exceptionally uninteresting person -- no matter what you watch.

Last edited by cpg35223; 08-25-2014 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 12:34 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
this question does not apply to you.
Then it doesn't apply to me either because I'm pretty damned happy with where I am right now.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:30 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
I undertand that American relationships sucks. Look, what I did... i post a video IMO good in thread What Descripes Your Pathetic Love Life Right Now. And I get no response. No comment, no rep point no nothing. I undertand that the tune might not be everybodys cup of the tea. But don't view Finnish ppl like aliens from outer space. That my philosophy and my point, folks.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:02 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,833 times
This is why I'm not much into relationships. The honeymoon doesn't last forever. It's all candy and romance at the wedding, beautiful words and congratulations. But then life goes to a reality that is much more limiting.

You have to put up with another persons shortcomings.
You now have financial risks as assets are mixed.
You are now subject to your spouse ethics and the consequences, and the governments involvement in it. You have just made yourself vulnerable.

You have much less freedom. You can't do things as you like. You can't take spontaneous trips on the go. You have to consider another persons schedule, work, and whatever other needs. Your spouse may have a difficult job situation, long commute, illness, not making much money, weird working hours, finish a graduate degree, or transfer to another location. Not everyone has that established career, shiny job, decent pay, and weekend getaways with you. You may suddenly feel that you are "dragged down". You could perhaps live a hassle free and care free lifestyle instead.

And what do you get? Irritating and judgmental in laws, judgmental and irritating relatives of your spouse, vanilla sex, lack of freedom, and constant compromises that hinder your professional development chances.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:31 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
I undertand that American relationships sucks. Look, what I did... i post a video IMO good in thread What Descripes Your Pathetic Love Life Right Now. And I get no response. No comment, no rep point no nothing. I undertand that the tune might not be everybodys cup of the tea. But don't view Finnish ppl like aliens from outer space. That my philosophy and my point, folks.
I'm not sure how this turned into a thread about Finnish men, but I've met a few in my day. As a rule, they are melancholy and dull as dirt.

And the reason nobody repped your video is likely because it wasn't very good.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm not sure how this turned into a thread about Finnish men, but I've met a few in my day. As a rule, they are melancholy and dull as dirt.

It is good music. You Americans just want Foreigner, Boston and Kansas.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Anyways... thanks for responding - to my - original post. Chillaa vähän tyttö pieni.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:24 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Is it to a point where it's:
  • working to pay bills
  • no more love making
  • it's very routine
  • boring
  • unexciting

Does this describe your relationship? If so, how did you get to this point?
It does describe my relationship. Stuck because we have kids to raise and because divorce would destroy everyone psychologically and financially.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:32 AM

898 posts, read 937,747 times
I'd want to do things on the weekends from time to time. Maybe go out once or twice during the week as well. Love-making is kind of the point of a romantic relationship, so I think that's a must. Otherwise, just get yourself a platonic roommate if you are only looking for company.

Busy lives are great for resumes and impressing friends, but truthfully, they are quite exhausting as well. Having just spent the last week traveling and running around with family, I know for certain that I can only take so much in short bursts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships