Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 02:47 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,736,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
And

BTW, who says you have to be drinking alcohol?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e0Lx83QJxs
That just proves my point. The headline in the article ends in a questionmark. The report from the ex-cop? She's basically describing any prescription drug. It's chicken little syndrome. Their advice was be wary if someone you don't know offers you a 'specialty cocktail'.

Try some actual data instead of a small news team looking to create a sensationalized story.

"Earlier this year, Australian researchers found that nont one of 97 young men and women admitted to hospital over 19 months to two Perth hospital claiming to have had their drinks spiked, had in fact been drugged."

"During thousands of blood and alcohol tests lots of judgement-impairing compounds were discovered, but they were mostly street drugs or prescription pharmaceuticals taken by the victims themselves, and above all alcohol was the common theme."

Date-rape drink spiking 'an urban legend' - Telegraph

Again, it's a myth. Not just a regular myth, but a dangerous one. It has women focusing more on where they put their drink than their actual alcohol consumption or other basic safety measures like walking a safe route home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 02:58 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
I really don't think that this is needed. With the hookup culture and how easy girls are these days, there's no need for date rape drugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a statement that was simultaneously so ignorant and misogynistic.
A bit over the drama edge here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
What a disturbing statment. If women weren't so "easy", you would find a need to drug them in order to rape them?
Nothing disturbing about the statement above.
The poster was merely pointing out that it is not necessary to drug women in clubs/bars to have sex with them because it is fairly easy to "hook up" with one of the women there.

The blue statement is really uncalled for, he did not say his intention was to go out and "drug or rape" anyone if women in clubs/bars were not so easy.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:22 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
That just proves my point. The headline in the article ends in a questionmark. The report from the ex-cop? She's basically describing any prescription drug. It's chicken little syndrome. Their advice was be wary if someone you don't know offers you a 'specialty cocktail'.

Try some actual data instead of a small news team looking to create a sensationalized story.

"Earlier this year, Australian researchers found that nont one of 97 young men and women admitted to hospital over 19 months to two Perth hospital claiming to have had their drinks spiked, had in fact been drugged."

"During thousands of blood and alcohol tests lots of judgement-impairing compounds were discovered, but they were mostly street drugs or prescription pharmaceuticals taken by the victims themselves, and above all alcohol was the common theme."

Date-rape drink spiking 'an urban legend' - Telegraph

Again, it's a myth. Not just a regular myth, but a dangerous one. It has women focusing more on where they put their drink than their actual alcohol consumption or other basic safety measures like walking a safe route home.

Are you kidding me, you are using the telegraph as your news source, that's calling the kettle black for sure. Say what you want, I could list a thousand sites telling you people have access to these drugs, the type of individuals that use them don't care about legalities, if they want them they will get them as easily as people get all the other illegal drugs flooding the streets. How's the war on most any drug going at the moment. We can't even keep the shelves safe from diet pills and energy drinks that are causing people to end up in the emergency room. Listen, I get it, you don't care. No problemo.

But for anyone that wants to read on, it's not about women not using common sense it's about using all sources that are available to them including not drinking too much. And like I said, one doesn't have to be drinking alcohol to find themselves in such a situation, it's not about looking over your shoulder at every second trying to see if the boogie man is out to get you, but the fact of the matter, the numbers of woman who are victims of rape, attempted rape are still very high. But sure, lets not let our daughters have knowledge to protect themselves. We say they should get the information to protect themselves about unwanted pregnancies, I bet most protesters here aren't preaching abstinence in such cases. Knowing all the pitfalls of diseases out there no one is telling young people to avoid sex till marriage and total commitment; we're saying do this to be safe. What's the difference? Here are some things as a woman or man you can do to keep yourself safe, including not over indulging and knowing your surroundings. Yeah, lets be hypocritical as where it's ok to share information. Ok to promote penile implants for a stiffy, but no nail polish to keep unwanted one from making entry. And btw, I am just as supportive of crimes against men, but the topic was dealing with women and nail polish, so you know, unless the men, not talking feminine gay men, are going to sport nail polish than I will conclude I'm on topic.

You may never encounter anyone that has been or becomes a victim, but I've met plenty of women that while having a conversation, have shared their very personal experiences and most of the time, no alcohol or drugs on their side were involved. I could care less about anyone's protest or feeling of my being sensationalistic, but if the day comes, I so hope it doesn't, that you a friend or loved one becomes a victim, you won't feel so smug any more, but hope you and they will be treated with much care in the aftermath. So anyone that wants to be smug about this issue, you can kiss my grits.

Maybe not where you are, but

Jada Pinkett Smith Calls Date Rape a Personal Issue and an 'Epidemic'

Illegal Drug Information Center

Halifax campuses take extra precautions after theft of date-rape drug | The Chronicle Herald

Reporting of Sexual Violence Incidents | National Institute of Justice

Old 08-28-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Are you kidding me, you are using the telegraph as your news source, that's calling the kettle black for sure. Say what you want, I could list a thousand sites telling you people have access to these drugs, the type of individuals that use them don't care about legalities, if they want them they will get them as easily as people get all the other illegal drugs flooding the streets. ......
Halifax campuses take extra precautions after theft of date-rape drug | The Chronicle Herald

Reporting of Sexual Violence Incidents | National Institute of Justice
Let's agree to debate like adults here shall we? Put away the emotion and let's look at the data. That's how real decisions get made in the real world.

I read the articles you linked. None of which had any relevant data showing the date rape drugs are actually found in the cases where this is alleged. One was social media hysteria around date rape drugs, the other is the theft of Verced though oddly nobody is talking about how it is used to kill people by the state of Florida, one other gives generic information on drugs that are alleged to be used for date rape and the other was a Red Herring. Note that out of respect for you, i listened to your arguments and looked at the information you brought forward.

The only data that's been presented here is what I put forward. Multiple instances of studies that done blood tests of people alleging to have been drugs and pretty much every single case, there's been no drugs. I'll repeat that, THE DATA SHOWS THAT IT'S NOT REAL.

"Co-researcher Dr Sarah Moore said: "We would be very interested in finding out whether the urban myth of spiking is also the result of parents feeling unable to discuss with their adult daughters how to manage drinking and sex and representing their anxieties about this through discussion of drink spiking risks."

That's from the female PhD that helped to lead the research at Royal Holloway University College of London.

""During thousands of blood and alcohol tests lots of judgement-impairing compounds were discovered, but they were mostly street drugs or prescription pharmaceuticals taken by the victims themselves, and above all alcohol was the common theme."

That's from the Chair of the Criminology school at the University College of London.

Should you be able to find some data that shows that when people reported being drugged that blood tests showed that it was actually the case then please bring it forward. Otherwise, you must admit that the data says that your point is wrong.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:02 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Let's agree to debate like adults here shall we? Put away the emotion and let's look at the data. That's how real decisions get made in the real world.

I read the articles you linked. None of which had any relevant data showing the date rape drugs are actually found in the cases where this is alleged. One was social media hysteria around date rape drugs, the other is the theft of Verced though oddly nobody is talking about how it is used to kill people by the state of Florida, one other gives generic information on drugs that are alleged to be used for date rape and the other was a Red Herring. Note that out of respect for you, i listened to your arguments and looked at the information you brought forward.

The only data that's been presented here is what I put forward. Multiple instances of studies that done blood tests of people alleging to have been drugs and pretty much every single case, there's been no drugs. I'll repeat that, THE DATA SHOWS THAT IT'S NOT REAL.

"Co-researcher Dr Sarah Moore said: "We would be very interested in finding out whether the urban myth of spiking is also the result of parents feeling unable to discuss with their adult daughters how to manage drinking and sex and representing their anxieties about this through discussion of drink spiking risks."

That's from the female PhD that helped to lead the research at Royal Holloway University College of London.

""During thousands of blood and alcohol tests lots of judgement-impairing compounds were discovered, but they were mostly street drugs or prescription pharmaceuticals taken by the victims themselves, and above all alcohol was the common theme."

That's from the Chair of the Criminology school at the University College of London.

Should you be able to find some data that shows that when people reported being drugged that blood tests showed that it was actually the case then please bring it forward. Otherwise, you must admit that the data says that your point is wrong.
You get your info from a source some lady I never heard of. I get mine, mostly, from US sources I'm familiar with, they conflict in that, some lady said something different in that she's claiming the use of drugs that may have impaired the persons abilities were taken by the individual that said they were incapacitated. It's a matter of he said she said as usual. Your source in my eyes proved nothing.

And again date rate drug isn't limited to known terms like Rohypnol or the class of drugs called GHB the legal system considers any drug/method that incapacitates and used to commit a sexual assault as being included in this category. The problem with getting accurate data for publishing the number of person's that were victims of such druggings is that most of these people learn to late that something was off that they were even assaulted and the drugs will already be out of their body before they may be able to get a positive test result. Many women are too ashamed to even report the crime until after being prompted by a friend or other loved one. With any such assault, law enforcement always says it is very important that they report it immediately and have a test kit set up, but, like I said, some people wait till it's too late. Fortunately for some these predators sometimes leave too much telltale info behind even having taped their crimes.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/410558

http://www.udel.edu/studentwellness/sos/drugs.html

As far as my point being wrong, what would that point be, that women are victims of rape, that it's ok to make women aware of sources available to them to protect themselves, that there are ways for people to obtain drugs to use for the purpose to incapacitate others? My first and main point was and still stands that there are ways to obtain these drugs if people really want them and that there's nothing wrong with women being privy to a variety of protective means, such as indicated by the OP "nailpolish, if they so wanted it, not such a big deal if they want it, but seems some get their undies in a twist every time a woman takes steps to consider added layers of protection. Is there an increase in such crimes drug induced crimes, I don't know, even if there is, it's hard to say as I've already said, proving it is very difficult and I've no stats to give you on that, but rape stats in general I could provide you with, but that's not what you are asking for.

Do I think this nail polish is some kind of solution, some kind of be all, no, I don't think much about it at all, it's more the reactions to women wanting to be proactive and any way they so choose that I find bothersome. Should woman be smarter about choices we make in situations, of course, but, so what, it's nail polish, it might be beneficial someone, I haven't a thing against using it in addition to using other good sensibilities.

Maybe you aren't as passionate or don't get a little emotional about the matter sexual assault, because possibly it hasn't touched your life, it has mine, and many others I've come to know, so, yes, I'm very passionate and maybe a little too emotional at times about the matter.

Last edited by TRosa; 08-28-2014 at 11:14 AM..

Old 08-28-2014, 01:53 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,422 times
Dang it! They're on to me.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:51 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
This thread reminds me of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=0OP5EnaaYjQ

Old 08-28-2014, 05:11 PM

226 posts, read 253,670 times
Good, and a 1911 to go with it!! Creeps!!

Old 08-28-2014, 05:15 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Bad that it's needed, sure, but thank god it's been invented. Rapists are out there, and while it's a nice thought to think that we should be able to "reform" them and get them to take responsibility for their behavior, the reality of the situation is that's not going to happen. So, women have to arm themselves with the knowledge and the tools to protect themselves from these sickos.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Maybe you aren't as passionate or don't get a little emotional about the matter sexual assault, because possibly it hasn't touched your life, it has mine, and many others I've come to know, so, yes, I'm very passionate and maybe a little too emotional at times about the matter.
You don't know me or my family so it's rather disgusting for you to pretend to be so horrified by sexual violence but then pretend that you know what other people's families have gone through.

This isn't an emotional discussion. This is about data and facts. That's how adults have discussions. The data says that while young women are absolutely paranoid about date rape drugs, the data shows that it almost never happens.

Should you actually care about this topic, then you might want to focus on safety tips for women that are actually relevant and remotely possible.

Quote:
So, women have to arm themselves with the knowledge and the tools to protect themselves from these sickos.
In arming themselves with knowledge, they should see that the studies show that date rape drugs are an urban myth and they should focus on threats to their person that actually have a possibility of happening. Worrying about date rape drugs is like worrying that the easter bunny and santa are going to gang rape you. It's not going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships