Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 02:09 PM
pll pll started this thread

1,112 posts, read 2,485,398 times

Advertisements

What is your secret(s) to a long lasting marriage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 02:16 PM

22,558 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Trust, honesty, compromise, common goals, common ideals, and love.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Love.
Communicate. Something bothers you talk to your SO about it. They aren't mind readers.
Trust your SO
Make ALL financial and family decisions together
Treat your SO like your SO not a servant.
Forgive. Nobody's perfect
Compromise. You're not always right

Probably plenty others. Coming up on 21 years. She will probably trade me in for a newer model

Old 08-26-2014, 02:40 PM

Also, what advice do you have for young couples considering marriage? What are 3 things that contribute to the high divorce as of late?

Old 08-26-2014, 02:48 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Married 32 years~ I think this say it best...

Old 08-26-2014, 02:51 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
What is your secret(s) to a long lasting marriage?
A willingness to forgive, a mentality of being part of a team - not competitors, and being open to falling in love over and over again

Old 08-26-2014, 03:01 PM

Are people amazed when you share the amount of years you have been married? What is a common response?

Old 08-26-2014, 04:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Love is not something you say. Love is something you demonstrate. At its heart, all relationships need three qualities to be healthy: Mutual chemistry, mutual values, and mutual goals. Two out of three won't cut it.

Marriage is, above all things, a partnership: Romantically, practically, and financially. And both members have to contribute on more or less equal terms and be equally unselfish, for the surest way to guarantee friction is for one person to feel it's a one-sided relationship. So while you need to put needs of the person you married before your own, you should also ensure the relationship's needs are more important than each of your own.

Another important concept is to stop thinking of a relationship as a noun. Instead, think of it as a verb, a state of being. This is important to remember because, just as you cannot step into a river twice, you cannot have the same relationship five minutes from now that you're having at this moment. A relationship is really constant change as opposed to a steady state, which is why you never, ever take your spouse for granted. Many a person has serenely cruised along in life, thinking their marriage was rock solid, only to be quite surprised that it wasn't.

So words such as fix or repair to describe remedies for issues that inevitably arise are inadequate. Those kinds of words imply a finite job, something that rides on a to-do list, rather than an ongoing process. So when problems arise, use nice gerunds such as mending or reconciling or rebuilding, for they imply an ongoing effort that stretches out over time. Metaphors matter here. You are not repairing a car, but building something that will outlive either of you.

With that in mind, it is more important to be considerate of your spouse over time, not less. The second you stop using basic courtesies with your spouse, that's when the marriage begins to rot. Sure, it's not always going to be fun. And you will absolutely disagree from time to time. If you expect smooth sailing, you're in for disappointment. If however, your intent on building a life together, it will be the most satisfying achievement you can imagine. So consideration is a paramount requirement for trust, the foundation of any strong marriage.

Have shared interests and friends. At the same time, have separate interests and friends, too. Just because you get married doesn't mean you give up your identity completely.

When you get married, you'll be surprised how many people will try to separate you from your spouse in ways big and small. Your parents, your friends, and a host of others will all want to keep things The Way Things Were. So no one, and I mean no one, comes between you and your spouse. Your mother, your father, your best friend, or your children. And make sure your spouse feels the same way.

Speaking of, never, ever succumb to the conceit that you can't stray. Lots of people love to say, "Why I'D never cheat on my spouse. No way, José." Of course, everybody feels that way, especially when the marriage is new. Yet that is really egotism in action for, by saying it, the person is really choosing to remain blind to temptation. I've seen many a proper spouse who eventually went off the rails because they encountered the right person in the right situation saying the right words with the right amount of alcohol involved. And, had you asked them before that moment, they'd have said, "Why I'D never cheat on my spouse." I mean, hey, I've never stepped out and I don't think I ever will. But I'm also human, so I avoid temptation rather than court it.

So how do you keep your spouse from doing it to you? First, don't be some pathetic dolt who sits in front of the television every night. Television kills more marriages than adultery. Instead, keep growing as a person. Read interesting books and do interesting things. Grow your brain because that's what's going to make you attractive when the boobs sag or the hairline recedes. Many a person has been hot stuff in his or her twenties or thirties, only to be a marginalized cypher in his or her forties or fifties.

Your spouse is the center of your life, not your children, not your job, not your hobbies. If you have children, you will love them beyond all words. But always remember that children are guests in your life together. If you do your job as a parent, they are guests who will one day pack the car and drive away to college or to their own apartment. I know far too many couples who became so involved in raising their kids that, upon becoming empty nesters, found their spouses had become strangers. If you're working long hours for years at a time, then you are doing something terrible to yourself and your family.

Talk to your spouse every damned day. It doesn't have to be deep and meaningful all the time, but it needs to be what's on your mind. Make sure your spouse is your favorite conversation partner. MrsCPG claims that a day hasn't passed in our marriage where I haven't made her laugh at least once. Hone your diplomatic skills so that when you inevitably have a conflict, you're able to resolve it without shouting. There's an enormous degree of difference between disagreeing and arguing. Couples disagree all the time. But people who argue more than once or twice over the course of a relationship are not fully formed adults.

Finally, sex isn't the sine qua non of existence (Although it certainly feels that way when you do it right). But it matters a great deal. Keep it fresh and interesting for yourself and your partner in life.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by cpg35223; 08-26-2014 at 04:34 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 04:43 PM

22,558 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
Are people amazed when you share the amount of years you have been married? What is a common response?
No, people are not amazed.
Many people in my area have long and happy marriages.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:47 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Endurance and the ability to fight through pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships