Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 06:23 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,121 times

Advertisements

I've lots of standards / requirements.

No smoking / No Children (ever) / No Obnoxious Tattoos / Can't weigh more than me / "Ghetto" chicks are disqualified / I have race preferences as well

Pretty much the above are the major points

I see nothing wrong with having preferences / standards (whatever you want to call them). People should be able to have their preferences and pick the ones they really like... that's the point isn't it? :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 06:37 AM

281 posts, read 327,202 times
I don't really have any stringent requirements. I've just started dating in the last year since my domestic restructuring 5 years ago. The three women that I have dated pretty much have nothing in common. Short, tall, chubby, skinny. Smoker, non smoker.

For me it is the intangible. Something that just clicks when you see or meet someone for the first time.

Oh, and looking good in yoga pants is a bonus..

Old 09-01-2014, 06:44 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,358 times
If you have a "giant list" of nitpicky requirements, and you haven't had a meaningful date in years, time to reevaluate yourself, or cut down that effing list. Esp if you are into your late 30s/40s or have kids.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:45 AM

69 posts, read 67,790 times
I don't really have requirements, although being so young I've never been one to actively search for a romantic partner. However, not having requirements is not to be confused with not having standards... I do require respect and honesty from anyone pursuing me. A long laundry list of requirements just seems a bit silly and restrictive to me, I find its more fun to try to take people as they are and learn to love it, and if you can't, simply walk away, as apposed to chasing this ideal of the perfect mate we've constructed in our minds. Who knows, the same person you disqualified because they didn't meet your height, weight, income, or no kid requirement could wind up being your perfect match but you'd never know unless you give them a shot. But again I must stress, I'm not saying don't have standards (for those who will chime in with extremes such as "oh so I should give the homeless guy on the street a chance?") just don't let your laundry list of requirements box you into dating the same cookie cutter guys, and then asking yourself why you keep meeting the same jerks and making the same mistakes.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:36 AM

138 posts, read 171,430 times
They say hindsight is 20/20, so here's a take from the rearview mirror.

The first time I got married I really had no requirements other than that she had to be reasonably good looking. So I married a woman with long blonde hair and an amazing body. It was a disaster. I was locking her out of the house and she was cheating after less than 2 years of marriage.

So I applied a fairly minimal set of requirements to filter potential partners after that point. I wasn't interested in a barfly (a few drinks here and there was fine, but not a drinker), no smokers, I wasn't interested in anyone that had used drugs even recreationally. Having her own set of friends and identity was fine, but I had no interest in someone that thought every Saturday had to be "girl's night out" until 3am. She had to want kids at some point, had to be a reader and reasonably intelligent and so on.

I've now been married to my 2nd wife for 13 years (my first wife has since been married and divorced again and is now living with a guy that drinks hard). While I can't say the requirements worked out perfectly (people change over time), I can say that having some standards paired me with someone that I have a strong enough relationship with that we've survived even when things didn't work out exactly as planned.

My advice to anyone that says that they don't have any requirements or just a couple based on looks....you need to sit down and put together a list of a few things that are important to you. Your future self that didn't lose 1/2 of everything in the divorce will thank you for it.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:40 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
There's nothing wrong with having expectations or holding out for them.

The problems show up when the seekers expectations of another aren't in balance
with what that seeker might bring to a relationship. iow: parity is required.
Be honest with yourself. Brutally honest.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:44 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Everyone has some kind of preference and an idea of an ideal mate in their head.

Has to have a job-
Likes kids-
Not controling-
No narisstic tendencies-
Clean-
No druggie-
No cheater-
Can't be more feminine than me-
Likes to take vacation trips-
Intelligence helps-
Sense of humor-
No roid pumper-
Has goals-
Likes dogs and cats-
Is not taco man-

Old 09-01-2014, 07:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Well, for me there are only 3 major requirements. They follow Hinduism, are vegetarian teetotalers, and have the same native language as me.

That's all I expect from the woman I marry. It has been an expectation from everyone in my caste.
Will your marriage be arranged?

Old 09-01-2014, 07:58 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,198,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Will your marriage be arranged?
If I find someone who meets the requirements listed, my parents wont mind a love marriage .

I was good friends for 1 year with a hot girl in my high school in India with the qualities above and wanted to start building a true relationship after turning 18, but had to let go quite abruptly on moving here for college and much better job prospects.

You will NOT BELIEVE how many girls I resist approaching due to non compliance of these 3 very basic conditions. But that's expected since this is a different country with cultural differences varying like night and day.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 09-01-2014 at 08:19 AM..

Old 09-01-2014, 08:44 AM

13,639 posts, read 9,696,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Case in point- whether or not we have expectations, having requirements or no requirements is all about what works for us individually. There are no right or wrongs.
Well-phrased!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
A part of what I think why people say to hush up on one's requisites is the social conditioning of "settling" and not being virtuous about being true to oneself. Seems kinda oppressive, actually, to listen to others, and not oneself.
I would opine the reverse; namely, modern social conditioning enjoins us to NOT settle regardless of the cost; that it's better to be alone than with a suboptimal partner. From everywhere we hear the chorus: one should listen to one's intuition and act accordingly, and any mechanical shunting aside of "gut feelings" is disingenuous and to be strictly avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
... I was in church, and a guy sat next to me. My mother asked later if he said anything to me, or if he was just sitting there. I said he didn't say a word, or spare a glance. I asked why, and she stated because she and his mother were talking about us going out.

I couldn't have been more offended, and I am still upset...
Again I would respectfully opine in the reverse. VanillaChocolate, is there any way that we could switch mothers?

If I were a church-goer, I'd attempt to maximally leverage the social advantages of church into mating advantages. I'd inform the priest/minister that I'm looking. If there is a subgroup for the older ladies in the congregation, I'd try to convey to them a statement of interest, with the intent that they might fix me up with one of their daughters. I might even affix an advertisement on the church bulletin board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr800-cr250 View Post
My advice to anyone that says that they don't have any requirements or just a couple based on looks....you need to sit down and put together a list of a few things that are important to you. Your future self that didn't lose 1/2 of everything in the divorce will thank you for it.
A divorce need not mean losing 1/2. Speaking from experience, divorce is a harrowing setback in life, but there are worse things than divorce.

Finding the "perfect" partner does not preclude the possibility of divorce. A haphazard set of criteria and benighted courtship does not imply the likelihood of divorce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships