Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 08:47 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,555,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I wouldn't let him go in the ocean at night, play football on the beach 3 hotels down from us alone (at night) and I wouldn't let him walk to the Baskin Robins that was about 1/2 mile away.

It's not that I don't trust him, but last night we ran into a few drunks when we were out and about and I think a group of young teen boys is an invitation for trouble, so I didn't let him go.

Some parents did let their kids go, and that was the issue. I'm too strict, according to him.
Drunk teens?
Perhaps it was the right call depending which part of Myrtle Beach you are staying. Our last visit to the Grand Strand was about to go very badly for one guy. He didn't know what was about to happen, but I was about to show him.
It seemed so different and seedy from the many times we stayed in that area.
My blood started to boil thinking about it just now.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:48 PM

52,185 posts, read 52,615,134 times
Good job, you're his mom not his "friend" as a lot of parents try to do. You can be his mom and his friend later in life.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:51 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Good job, you're his mom not his "friend" as a lot of parents try to do. You can be his mom and his friend later in life.

True enough Chow and it does eventually happen when they do mature beyond chronological age and figure out that the parents were actually right and did the best thing for them when they were younger.

It really is an amazing time when an adult has the realization that their parents really were not stupid at all.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:05 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,060,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Drunk teens?
Perhaps it was the right call depending which part of Myrtle Beach you are staying. Our last visit to the Grand Strand was about to go very badly for one guy. He didn't know what was about to happen, but I was about to show him.
It seemed so different and seedy from the many times we stayed in that area.
My blood started to boil thinking about it just now.
No, they looked about young 20's maybe...bunch of younger men and a few girls with them. Shouting, swearing, beating their chests. My son is pretty quiet, but his friends are not. They tend to mouth off to umps and coaches...so I could imagine what they would be saying to a bunch of drunks within earshot. Not inviting that kind of trouble into his life.

We are down around where all the high rise hotels are. It's off season so there aren't a lot of folks around and definitely not a lot of families out and about so it just made me uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Yup, my thoughts too. It was funny because I'm the "cool parent" and he said last night he was so glad I brought him. Said dad never does anything "fun" (we didn't do anything fun either, but I asked for his input on where to eat, what to do between games...etc.)

But I told him I know I'm not his favorite person at the moment and that's fine, because he's my child and my priority is to keep him safe and if he didn't like it, well suck it up and deal.

He's talking to me now. He was watching a "who stinks the most" video on his phone (sports) and telling me about it (headphones were in so I couldn't hear it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
True enough Chow and it does eventually happen when they do mature beyond chronological age and figure out that the parents were actually right and did the best thing for them when they were younger.

It really is an amazing time when an adult has the realization that their parents really were not stupid at all.
I have a feeling that happens somewhere in their junior or senior year of college when the real world is knocking at their door. We've got a ways to go!

Old 10-18-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
No, they looked about young 20's maybe...bunch of younger men and a few girls with them. Shouting, swearing, beating their chests. My son is pretty quiet, but his friends are not. They tend to mouth off to umps and coaches...so I could imagine what they would be saying to a bunch of drunks within earshot. Not inviting that kind of trouble into his life.

We are down around where all the high rise hotels are. It's off season so there aren't a lot of folks around and definitely not a lot of families out and about so it just made me uncomfortable.

Yup, my thoughts too. It was funny because I'm the "cool parent" and he said last night he was so glad I brought him. Said dad never does anything "fun" (we didn't do anything fun either, but I asked for his input on where to eat, what to do between games...etc.)

But I told him I know I'm not his favorite person at the moment and that's fine, because he's my child and my priority is to keep him safe and if he didn't like it, well suck it up and deal.

He's talking to me now. He was watching a "who stinks the most" video on his phone (sports) and telling me about it (headphones were in so I couldn't hear it).

I have a feeling that happens somewhere in their junior or senior year of college when the real world is knocking at their door. We've got a ways to go!

I would say if it happens by then you are going to be one lucky parent...LOL

Old 10-18-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:

<snort> Yeah, sounds like directions from the fairer sex.
I'll venture to guess it's not North Myrtle, but Myrtle, and that's where most of the hard partying goes on. You don't need my validation, but good call.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:19 PM

19,362 posts, read 15,214,116 times
Quote:
We've only lost 2 family members to cancer...the majority are heart related deaths.

My son's friend is battling cancer right now...he's 15 and has an aggressive form of non-hodgkin's lymphoma. He's played baseball with him for a few years now. We're at a tournament and it's odd not having him here, participating. He's usually the biggest "cheerleader" of the bunch, always very vocal, and it's odd not to have his voice on the field.

On a different note, my son hates me tonight, so I guess I'm doing my job
But it sucks.
I honestly don't know how I'd have the courage to go through something like that, at my age. For a kid to have to go through it is just unimaginable to me. I know you don't have a choice in the matter, but man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Thanks, Adi

Here it is.

That's actually not a bad one. lol
No? Lol.

Seriously, it's sickening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
heh heh.......sort of looks like "The Terminator" the last time it was started..
LOL!!

Quote:
I wouldn't let him go in the ocean at night, play football on the beach 3 hotels down from us alone (at night) and I wouldn't let him walk to the Baskin Robins that was about 1/2 mile away.

It's not that I don't trust him, but last night we ran into a few drunks when we were out and about and I think a group of young teen boys is an invitation for trouble, so I didn't let him go.

Some parents did let their kids go, and that was the issue. I'm too strict, according to him.
My mom was always stricter than all the other moms. You hate it as a kid, but I appreciate it now.

One time I came home much later than I was supposed to, and she told me I was grounded. For life. Lol.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I honestly don't know how I'd have the courage to go through something like that, at my age. For a kid to have to go through it is just unimaginable to me. I know you don't have a choice in the matter, but man...

No? Lol.

Seriously, it's sickening.

LOL!!

My mom was always stricter than all the other moms. You hate it as a kid, but I appreciate it now.

One time I came home much later than I was supposed to, and she told me I was grounded. For life. Lol.
At seventeen I was grounded for missing curfew by 30 minutes. My parents explained the graduated curfew to my sister and I as we approached the ages where we were going out more. At 18 we were allowed to come and go as we pleased, no curfew, but at 17 it was midnight.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:52 PM

19,362 posts, read 15,214,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
At seventeen I was grounded for missing curfew by 30 minutes. My parents explained the graduated curfew to my sister and I as we approached the ages where we were going out more. At 18 we were allowed to come and go as we pleased, no curfew, but at 17 it was midnight.
I honestly don't remember how late I was, but I was in high school. Maybe freshman or sophomore? Part of the problem was that I wasn't where she expected me to be. I had left late and I was on the way home, the extended version, on the handlebars of a bike, lol. She had driven out, went to where I was supposed to be, looking around, completely terrified that something had happened to me. I couldn't blame her and wasn't even upset at her. I don't remember what my actual curfew was.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:01 PM

Sea,

I think I am still grounded from something I did to my brother when I was 4, I am currently 54 so I've been grounded for 50 years.

That has got to be some sort of guiness book record and obviously grounding me for life then really worked since I've grown up, had a few jobs, had a few husbands, had a few kids....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.