Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 10:38 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,236,300 times

Advertisements

That was the big focus in that Dave Grohl documentary, Sound City, we were talking about.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:39 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Digital is so clinical. Analog is a lot like hues and tones and colors. It captures things that 0s and 1s can't grasp. No matter how many you throw at them it is never the same. I can't way to play around with all of this stuff.

I am thinking when I get back from the trip I can delve into this with both feet.
I agree.........

Old 12-19-2014, 10:42 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
That was the big focus in that Dave Grohl documentary Sound City we were talking about.
That is what music should be, IMO. Whether it is classical, rock or anything in between.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree.........
I am old school that way. Retro, very retro. That is a 22 year old board. I remember running for a community event in 97. Helping a friend out on that deal.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
That's all I understood out of that whole thing. lol

And I agree with it. It's like listening to vinyl vs CD.......I think. lol
There's a certain soul and passion that can't be denied when as a kid you got your first KISS record...

You put it on the turn table... lowered the needle........ slight pops and hiss and all......

That can't be captured in 1' and 0's.....

Heart, soul, passion, friggin energy....

No, no sir.....

Digital can't replicate that damn shyt......

Old 12-19-2014, 10:48 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Okay, I've got to ask SD...what the hell is that thing?

Obviously, I don't know anything about electronics

Old 12-19-2014, 10:50 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Purist talk about the holly grail of the analog signal and how the digital signal could never replace the analog signal..

I could give a dissertation on the subject if you care to hear it.... I have a degree in electronics... so I have some semblance of a an understanding of the subject.. but better yet I can make statements like this make it sound like I know what I'm talking about... LOL...

The wave form is a sinusoidal wave form and can be broken down into finite pieces, hence the "digitization" of the signal, tiny tiny steps can be broken out and reassembled into that "sine" wave... the hertz range can be replicated far above and below the human ear's capability....

But at the end of the day... I agree, there's something organic about the analog version.....
Yep. I'm seriously considering buying a record player for myself this Christmas.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Okay, I've got to ask SD...what the hell is that thing?

Obviously, I don't know anything about electronics
It is a converter of sorts. It takes analog audio and converts it to digital. There is a USB plug on the other end that allows it to be hooked up to a computer to record. It has two inputs, three outputs. RCA plugs, USB and a 1/4" plug for monitor function.

It is resting on top of a 16 channel mixing board.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:54 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
That was the big focus in that Dave Grohl documentary, Sound City, we were talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
That is what music should be, IMO. Whether it is classical, rock or anything in between.

I am old school that way. Retro, very retro. That is a 22 year old board. I remember running for a community event in 97. Helping a friend out on that deal.

Oh! That reminds me: thanks for explaining Sonic Highway a little more to me, SD. I caught the last episode, where they were in New York. I was really, really good.

Quote:
There's a certain soul and passion that can't be denied when as a kid you got your first KISS record...

You put it on the turn table... lowered the needle........ slight pops and hiss and all......

That can't be captured in 1' and 0's.....

Heart, soul, passion, friggin energy....

No, no sir.....

Digital can't replicate that damn shyt......

So true. The first record I listened too (that wasn't a kids one), was Dark side of the Moon.
Funny enough, the first CD I ever listened to was also Dark side of the Moon.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Oh! That reminds me: thanks for explaining Sonic Highway a little more to me, SD. I caught the last episode, where they were in New York. I was really, really good.

So true. The first record I listened too (that wasn't a kids one), was Dark side of the Moon.
You're welcome. I listened to the album tonight.

Packing CDs I have been ripping them to the computer before putting them in the tote.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:

My first CD was Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force........ the clarity on that was quite impressive... LOL...

Course that was way back in 84, back when you probably weren't even a gleam in dads eye.....

Heck.. I was 13 or so... LOL......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships