Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 11:23 PM

104 posts, read 95,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicecooperfan View Post
One of the biggest things preventing me from talking to women is I figure I'm better off waiting until the right time to talk to a girl. I still make a move at some point if I have the chance but I feel sometimes it can be weeks or even months before I've run into a girl a few times around campus or whatever. This has worked some but it seems I am usually single for a lot longer between relationships than most the people I know. Some of that could be standards but I wonder if it could be how I'm approaching this. I've wondered if I would be more successful if I just went around and hit on every woman I am attracted to, make a few bad first impressions, and figure its not going to work 90% of the time. I don't fear rejection, its not like I'm going to go cry about it because someone turned me down, all I am worried about is scaring away my options.

For the record I am not looking to hookup with a Snooki type that I find in a bar. Obviously the right way to do that is to be forward. I want to date a nice normal woman with interests other than partying.

EDIT: Also by talking I mean hitting on beyond small talk and getting her number. I thought I should clear that up.
OP, I am in college too. This is how you "pick up" a girlfriend:

1. Pick a club that relates to your interests/beliefs/passions.
2. Pick a lady in the club (maybe she's attractive, maybe something she said/an interest she has resonated with you, etc.)
3. Talk to her after the club about said interest ---> try to make small talk.
4. If it goes well, repeat.
5. The second or third or fourth time, say "Hey, would you like to discuss this over [coffee/tea/hot or cold beverage of your choice]"
6. Proceed from there.

Talking to people doesn't mean "hitting on people". If you want to appear genuine/approachable, then act that way. Not that hitting on people is bad, but really, you want to find someone whose beliefs and values and interests are at least somewhat similar to yours. Doing that requires less hitting on and more conversing/scratching the surface.

Talk to everyone. You never know who you'll meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 10:53 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMaria View Post
OP, I am in college too. This is how you "pick up" a girlfriend:

1. Pick a club that relates to your interests/beliefs/passions.
2. Pick a lady in the club (maybe she's attractive, maybe something she said/an interest she has resonated with you, etc.)
3. Talk to her after the club about said interest ---> try to make small talk.
4. If it goes well, repeat.
5. The second or third or fourth time, say "Hey, would you like to discuss this over [coffee/tea/hot or cold beverage of your choice]"
6. Proceed from there.

Talking to people doesn't mean "hitting on people". If you want to appear genuine/approachable, then act that way. Not that hitting on people is bad, but really, you want to find someone whose beliefs and values and interests are at least somewhat similar to yours. Doing that requires less hitting on and more conversing/scratching the surface.

Talk to everyone. You never know who you'll meet.
'Pick a club?'

I thought you were caveman talking there for a minute.

Grab the gal you like by the hair and take her to your cave.

'Beverage of your choice?' Lol!

Last edited by funymann; 09-02-2014 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships