Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 06:50 PM

20 posts, read 24,068 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity... Two questions.

1. Do you all respond to messages in online dating that just say "hi" if the person's profile appears decent?

I sometimes feel like I am not inclined to give good guys a chance online, but then again, why can't they take the time and write 2-3 sentences?

2. When I write to guys who seem interesting to me- I rarely get a response. Anyone else experience something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 07:10 PM

28 posts, read 28,766 times
1. No. I'm not asking for a novella but if you can't be bothered to send more than a two-letter introduction, I definitely cannot be bothered to respond, I don't care how decent your profile looks. At the very least, send a question so I can respond with more than "Hi, back."

2. The vast majority of the guys that I liked enough to introduce myself to did respond back. And the ones that didn't? I chocked it up to them either being intimidated by my assertiveness or simply being not interested. And I wasn't annoyed at all. It's hypocritical to ignore half the messages you've received for one reason or another then turn around and get butthurt when someone does the same thing to you.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:22 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaBrooklynGirl View Post
1. Do you all respond to messages in online dating that just say "hi"
Nope. Usually delete.

Quote:
2. When I write to guys who seem interesting to me- I rarely get a response.
Assuming gender, proximity and age range are in order...
1) Does your overture say anything that indicates you READ and liked their profile?
2) Does your pictures show any cleavage?

If either of those get answered "yes"... move on. He's a tool.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:25 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope. Usually delete.

Assuming gender, proximity and age range are in order...
1) Does your overture say anything that indicates you READ and liked their profile?
2) Does your pictures show any cleavage?

If either of those get answered "yes"... move on. He's a tool.
Rotflmbo!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:21 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,809,602 times
I do not respond to the hi messages or the text talk ones. I have gotten messages that clearly showed that he read my profile. From there we message for a few and usually talk to set up a meet. I say in my profile that I don't respond to flirts. Flirt messages mean that they didn't read my profile and probably sent out a mega flirt. Some men whom I have sent messages did respond, most did not.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:00 PM

25 posts, read 22,401 times
Hmm I wonder if I should try online dating, I always assumed it would just be some situation where girls are getting 500 messages and online are going to date uber alpha male guys.

But if this is the competition we're talking about...

Old 09-02-2014, 10:06 PM

20 posts, read 24,068 times
I get tons of messages and most of them are completely junk. I am pretty close on giving up online dating all together, but real life also doesn't present many opportunities to meet good guys. So I don't know how I feel about it, hah!

Old 09-02-2014, 11:14 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticbrain View Post
Hmm I wonder if I should try online dating, I always assumed it would just be some situation where girls are getting 500 messages and online are going to date uber alpha male guys.

That's pretty much what this thread is saying. Who do you think the "interesting" guys are? They're the best looking guys that every girl is messaging. That's why OP isn't getting any responses.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:20 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticbrain View Post

The bar set by other guys is incredibly low, in online dating! Just be halfway polite and you stand out from the crowd.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:14 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
1. I don't do online dating anymore, but I never responded to the "hi" messages. I did when I first started, but I quickly found out that most are just spammed. And there are so many of them, that you can never answer them all anyway.

If anyone put in time and it was clear he read my profile, I responded. Even if I wasn't interested. I figured that was polite. A trick I started to use to weed out spam, in my profile I asked them to answer a simple math question in their message to me (like put the answer to 7x3 in your message to me). Then a guy could say, "hi... 21!" and I knew he was real/read the profile. Although no one ever did that, they always wrote 2-3 sentences and put in the 21. I heard a better suggestion though since I quit... tell them to put your favorite color in the subject line (and mention your favorite color in your profile).

2. Most people (men or women) don't get a response. Maybe he's not interested in you/you aren't his type, maybe the profile is dead (there are a lot of dead profiles, especially on the sites that offer free weekends). Some people who are in relationships hang out online too for some reason and window shop but don't "buy" so to speak... he could be one of those as well. Sounds like you are getting some replies... and that's what matters (I am basing this on you saying they "rarely" respond, not that no one responds).

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships