Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 08:59 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why do you think she is not getting the same type of backlash you claim you would get? How do you have any idea or not whether Asian guys are writing her to tell her off and call her a racist?

This entire thread is based on pure assumption and conjecture. This woman chose to be upfront DESPITE the backlash which she might get, if you want to do the same you are more than welcome to as well.

What's more nervy to me is publishing someone's profile on a non-dating, public forum without their permission.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
If the OP is offended enough by it to make this big a deal out of it, you can bet others have been too and some probably even called her out though messaging her directly about it. Conjecture, yes. But I think it's just as probable that she gets called out for it as a man would. Gender isn't the issue here.
Exactly, but the OP would rather assume that women can get away with it because he has some kind of grudge.

If I were a man, I wouldn't go near that woman. She seems pretentious and I don't like it when people just flat-out say they aren't attracted to men/women of a particular ethnicity. They haven't met everyone of that group, after all. And even if they do feel that way, there's a better way to say it, like several posters have said.

But still, it's wrong to post her profile like that without her permission, even without the name and photo. Someone who knows her could still figure out who it is.

For the record, I wouldn't date the OP either because he sounds bitter and hot-headed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:04 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
No Blacks, I am not attracted to Black women (OR) No White people, I am not attracted to White women. I'm not being racist, it's just what i'm attracted to
Really?

rac·ism
ˈrāˌsizəm/Submit
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:12 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Really?

rac·ism
ˈrāˌsizəm/Submit
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
LOL, you actually made my case that she is racist. Because I just took what she wrote and substituted Black and White instead of Asian.

BTW, I personally have no racial preference, I have dated all races and women from all races look good to me! Even if I did not want to date a particular race I would not put it in my profile like this as I would feel it would offend someone. I think many of the experts recommend as well that one should omit any negative statements in their profile for the best chance of a good first impression.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:14 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
ugh. Is this normal for women's profiles, or is this one of a few exceptions? "I'm not racist, I'm just turned off to my own kind." Eww. I didn't know people got so specific with preferences (height, weight, body type). Is there a form or some kind of guideline on that particular site that suggests people should state their preferences? I haven't seen that on the couple of sites I've taken a look at. The more I learn about OLD, the more turned off I am by it.
I would say yes. I've never done online dating, but I've gone on there just to look around, and you get a lot of I don't find not one single black person attractive, oh but I'm not as racist though. Which is ridiculous, I've seen beautiful women of EVERY race that I would definitely date/marry if we were going just by looks. And I agree 100% with the last part of your statement.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:15 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Yep.
But still, it's wrong to post her profile like that without her permission, even without the name and photo. Someone who knows her could still figure out who it is.

For the record, I wouldn't date the OP either because he sounds bitter and hot-headed.
Oh c'mon... all identifying info has been removed and besides the profile is in a public space, anyone has access to not only the text but also her pictures if need be. How is it different from people viewing it here as opposed to the thousands viewing it on OKC complete with all her information?

Yeah, about dating, I wouldn't date you either...you seem pretty condescending and judgemental

Old 09-05-2014, 09:16 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,881 times
Quote:
this thread is not about women having physical preferences, it's about women being able to express those physical preferences openly without the threat of admonition and in contrast to that men not having the ability to state physical preferences without being labelled shallow and superficial.

If I stated on my profile big boobs, below 115 lbs, nice legs how is it different than what the woman has stated above?

The woman in this thread a deflecting the question and instead resorting to calling me a misogynist.

Who says men can't have their own preferences? And who cares what other people on here think?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:18 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Which is yet another reason to NOT discourage the practice.

They're almost as funny as the "don't write to me if you're a troll" statement
which is usually followed by a list of things that trolls should avoid doing if they really
want to troll on her. Idiots.

The poorly stated serves just as much as a filter in the process...
it keeps the better respondents from replying to them.
Even if the writer doesn't "get it"

Good point, really. Anything that helps me to back click on a profile is helpful.

It is one of many reasons I don't understand the "its a numbers game" or "email everyone with pics I like" approach. There is so much in profiles that tells you something about the person, even generic profiles say a lot, that is it hard to imagine even finding in the big cities I've lived in many dozens or even hundreds of people I would want to message. It's just difficult to fathom.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:19 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
LOL, you actually made my case that she is racist. Because I just took what she wrote and substituted Black and White instead of Asian.

BTW, I personally have no racial preference, I have dated all races and women from all races look good to me! Even if I did not want to date a particular race I would not put it in my profile like this as I would feel it would offend someone. I think many of the experts recommend as well that one should omit any negative statements in their profile for the best chance of a good first impression.
She's allowed to have racial preferences and she's allowed to be racist. As long as tall white guys are contacting her, I'm sure she's not worried about who she might be offending. A tall white guy would need to express disapproval before she'd consider revising her profile.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:20 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Which is yet another reason to NOT discourage the practice.

They're almost as funny as the "don't write to me if you're a troll" statement
which is usually followed by a list of things that trolls should avoid doing if they really
want to troll on her. Idiots.

The poorly stated serves just as much as a filter in the process...
it keeps the better respondents from replying to them.
Even if the writer doesn't "get it"

Good point, really. Anything that helps me to back click on a profile is helpful.

It is one of many reasons I don't understand the "its a numbers game" or "email everyone with pics I like" approach. There is so much in profiles that tells you something about the person, even generic profiles say a lot, that is it hard to imagine even finding in the big cities I've lived in many dozens or even hundreds of people I would want to message. It's just difficult to fathom.

Quote:
How is it different from people viewing it here as opposed to the thousands viewing it on OKC complete with all her information?

The difference is pretty obvious and huge. It is control and consent. Me posting a pic or personal information about myself online is perfectly fine. Someone posting my pic or personal info about me, without my consent, is absolutely not fine. They're completely different things.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:21 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:

One of my girlfriend is Asian. She stated on her profile "White men only." and she wonders why all these men she has dated treated her like a toy instead of a human being.

I don't respect (therefore cannot see myself falling in love with) somebody who self hate.

I am mixed and my personal preferences are Asian, white, Asian/white mixed, just like myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships