Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 07:59 AM

326 posts, read 348,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Basically the same speech as the other two braggarts. I am beginning to wonder if its one person with multiple screen names.
You would think they would stop saying they are unattractive since they had some success they sure as hell wouldn't want to be in my shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,183 posts, read 2,201,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've never received such interest either, that I'm aware of (I might just be clueless), still, I've managed to date / have lovers for most of the past 25 years.

I wouldn't look into it much.
You've managed to date,? Well then you have received interest somewhere down the line. As I said I never have.

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Basically the same speech as the other two braggarts. I am beginning to wonder if its one person with multiple screen names.

I'm not bragging. I have nothing to brag about. There is nothing brag worthy about being ok or average at dating. There are loads of people that have tons more success than I do, including most guys I know. I do ok. I date some cute, fun, cool people and other times I have less luck. Until recently, the past two years have been pretty dead in the dating game for me.

I have no idea how you would think that is bragging. It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkerr View Post
You would think they would stop saying they are unattractive since they had some success they sure as hell wouldn't want to be in my shoes.

I'm not attractive. I don't think I've ever had a g/f call me handsome, or hot, or anything like that. My pictures on OLD wasn't what helped me get dates. If anything they hindered me.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:04 AM

326 posts, read 348,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm not bragging. I have nothing to brag about. There is nothing brag worthy about being ok or average at dating. There are loads of people that have tons more success than I do, including most guys I know. I do ok. I date some cute, fun, cool people and other times I have less luck. Until recently, the past two years have been pretty dead in the dating game for me.

I have no idea how you would think that is bragging. It is what it is.

I'm not attractive. I don't think I've ever had a g/f call me handsome, or hot, or anything like that. My pictures on OLD wasn't what helped me get dates. If anything they hindered me.
It seems like the only women you dated were ones who were desperate since they couldn't find something nice to say about you. Looks like I dodged a bullet.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkerr View Post
It seems like the only women you dated were ones who were desperate since they couldn't find something nice to say about you. Looks like I dodged a bullet.

Haha, LOL. I never said they didn't say anything nice about me.

Nice lack of reading comprehension.

If you want to keep 100% focused on the physical, that's your burden, not mine... and I'll be enjoying spending time with that cute bullet tonight.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:05 AM

102,180 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
You've managed to date,? Well then you have received interest somewhere down the line. As I said I never have.
He's managed to date because he initiates. Women can't show interest if they don't know you exist. You have to give them a chance. If he'd waited all his life for women to approach him, he'd probably still be waiting.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:06 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,600,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
When I picture throwing themselves at you, I picture something really comical (kind of like a Bug's Bunny cartoon) where the woman chases after Elmer with little hearts all around her head saying, "Oh... a Man! A Ma-an!"

I think you are right. I would say that most women will show interest, but how the interest is shown, depends on the woman. A shy woman might just hang around you more often or look at you a lot, a more outgoing one might engage you in conversation... maybe even slightly flirtatious conversation. A very outgoing woman might ask you out.

It's probably hard to figure out because 1) each woman is different in how she will show interest and 2) the man has to be very aware (and most people don't walk around being super aware about romantic interests all the time).

I think what happens is only when the man is very aware (because he already has an interest in the woman in question) does he notice. If a man isn't interested in the woman at all, I get the feeling he will never notice unless she happens to be that "very outgoing woman" I mentioned. She and her advances are invisible to him. At least, this is my personal experience.

But whatever "throwing yourself" at someone is, it's not going to be like something out of a movie or TV show (for the most part) where it's comically obvious that the woman likes you.
Few women actually "throw themselves" at a man. For me, I've gotten, at best, pretty strong hints that some might consider "throwing themselves" but I never did.

Example - she just happens to find ways to be where you are. She makes it a point to say hi to you even if she normally would just walk on by. Asks what you're doing this weekend, etc.

It can be difficult to tell the difference between "interested" and "friendly". Sometimes looking for other signals (flirtation of various types) works, but if she's someone you work with, or go to school with, she may not want to be that obvious due to the environment you see each other in.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:07 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,600,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He's managed to date because he initiates. Women can't show interest if they don't know you exist. You have to give them a chance. If he'd waited all his life for women to approach him, he'd probably still be waiting.
While I believe this is true for men as well, I think women are more responsive to the idea that if a man is interested in her, he becomes more interesting to her, but only IF:

She finds you at least mildly interesting or attractive, or at least neutral. If you're actually someone she specifically does NOT find attractive, then that's a different story.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:08 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,201,375 times
[quote=timberline742;36409842]I'm not bragging. I have nothing to brag about. There is nothing brag worthy about being ok or average at dating. There are loads of people that have tons more success than I do, including most guys I know. I do ok. I date some cute, fun, cool people and other times I have less luck. Until recently, the past two years have been pretty dead in the dating game for me.

I have no idea how you would think that is bragging. It is what is.

As you said you have had some successes in dating. I never have and neither have a few other posters around here. Thus it comes off as bragging to those with no successes ever.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
Few women actually "throw themselves" at a man. For me, I've gotten, at best, pretty strong hints that some might consider "throwing themselves" but I never did.

Example - she just happens to find ways to be where you are. She makes it a point to say hi to you even if she normally would just walk on by. Asks what you're doing this weekend, etc.

It can be difficult to tell the difference between "interested" and "friendly". Sometimes looking for other signals (flirtation of various types) works, but if she's someone you work with, or go to school with, she may not want to be that obvious due to the environment you see each other in.

I've told the story before, but I thought I picked up the lady I'm seeing now. She tells her friends she picked me up. The things she did to "initiate" things with me I didn't even notice them occurring. I thought I was being pretty smooth, but she was manipulating the situation all along.

I'm cool with that. I was just oblivious to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

If I never made a move I'd be a 43 yo virgin. People don't throw themselves at me, I need to make things happen. So, that is what I try to do. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

And no, the answers to the above two posts aren't contradictory in the slightest, not if you get the dynamics of interacting with the opposite sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships