Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:07 AM

647 posts, read 1,523,172 times

Advertisements

To those suggesting I live with roommates:

That's a no go for me. I have mental problems and don't click well with most people. Most roommate experiences I've had in the past have been horrifying. I've even been kicked out by roommates in the past. I strongly prefer living alone. And if I get a one bedroom I definitely won't be able to pay off student loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 07:18 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post

That's a no go for me. I have mental problems and don't click well with most people. Most roommate experiences I've had in the past have been horrifying. I've even been kicked out by roommates in the past. I strongly prefer living alone. And if I get a one bedroom I definitely won't be able to pay off student loans.
Ahhhhh, let the truth be known. There's nothing wrong with you going to live with your dad; I commend you on that but the mental problems will be an issue with a woman also; it also will have to be addressed BEFORE you get in a relationship.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:18 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,574 times
I'll bet dad's thrilled. By the time you're done paying off your loans you'll be 32, a wee bit old to still be living at home. Better question might be, how will it effect dad's life.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
I'll bet dad's thrilled. By the time you're done paying off your loans you'll be 32, a wee bit old to still be living at home. Better question might be, how will it effect dad's life.
I don't think he minds. He's pretty laid back and seems like he could use the company after my mom passed away.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:18 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:

But my question is, how will this impact my relationships? Should I just give up entirely?
In terms of relationships, there are too many factors to consider. Simply put; it will affect some more than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Just give up? Absolutely not. In a way, your plan is brilliant because it will instantly weed out golddiggers and smart women will understand your reasoning. When you find the right woman it won't matter where you live, what you do, or how you look because she'll just love you for you. Best wishes.
...until that one Saturday morning when the GF is standing in the kitchen drinking coffee in her underwear and in walks dad...

Old 09-10-2014, 08:41 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
I'm 28 and I've decided I want to live with my dad for 7 more years to pay off student loan debt. I'd rather just tough it out and be debt free when I'm 35. That seems like the better option instead of getting my own place just so I can impress a girl meanwhile being stuck in debt.

But my question is, how will this impact my relationships? Should I just give up entirely?
Honestly? I wouldn't go near a 30-year-old who still lives with a parent unless that parent was ill and needed someone to be there.

Take a second job if you have to, but emancipate yourself.

Quote:

What makes you think you'd get along any better with a woman, then? Women are people. If roomates won't put up with you, don't expect a girlfriend to. Women are not somehow simpler or more tolerant of bad behavior just because we have two X chromosomes.

Sounds like you need to take care of your "mental problems," first and foremost.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:48 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Save the money used for dating and put it into the loans as well to get out faster. Deal with the mental health issues while living there.

You're making an economic investment in yourself, make the psychological one as well, and work hard on your career and get out and be solo as fast as you can.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
What makes you think you'd get along any better with a woman, then? Women are people. If roomates won't put up with you, don't expect a girlfriend to. Women are not somehow simpler or more tolerant of bad behavior just because we have two X chromosomes.
Because I have had lots of luck and gotten along with women for the past 10 years living on my home.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:26 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Do what's best for you, don't worry about people you don't even know yet (potential relationships). You'll still be young when you get the loans paid off. If you do happen to have a woman come along that you think is 'the one' while living with dad, you can reevaluate. But if she is 'the one', she'd understand anyway. In short, put yourself first, always.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:40 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
^^This^^

Women admire a guy who has goals and is doing more than playing video games.
As I read it, he didn't graduate from college till 28, and expects to make so little money that it will take him 7 years to pay off his student loans (even factoring in the money he saves by living with his dad for free). Not sure how many women would find that admirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships