Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:42 PM

15 posts, read 19,067 times

Advertisements

I am a loner in every sense of the word. I've never had a boyfriend, never had sex, and do not have any close friends. I do very well for myself as an auditor/accountant. For the most part, I work at home and alone with little or no issues at all.

I enjoy my life and want things to continue as they are, but sometimes I feel bad, only because others tend to put their own expectations on me. When I'm vacationing alone, people will often ask, why am I traveling alone? Or if I'm eating alone, people will give me those awkward glances.

I am anti social, and I tend to shy away from people, because offline I do not like engaging in extensive conversations with others, if it's none work related.

Needless to say, I know that marriage is out of the question and I have no interest in ever having children. Why am I treated as though my lifestyle is a problem, when I'm happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 12:43 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,107 times
If you are happy, then more power to you. Live your life as you see best!

Old 09-15-2014, 12:46 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaah221 View Post
I am a loner in every sense of the word. I've never had a boyfriend, never had sex, and do not have any close friends. I do very well for myself as an auditor/accountant. For the most part, I work at home and alone with little or no issues at all.

I enjoy my life and want things to continue as they are, but sometimes I feel bad, only because others tend to put their own expectations on me. When I'm vacationing alone, people will often ask, why am I traveling alone? Or if I'm eating alone, people will give me those awkward glances.

I am anti social, and I tend to shy away from people, because offline I do not like engaging in extensive conversations with others, if it's none work related.

Needless to say, I know that marriage is out of the question and I have no interest in ever having children. Why am I treated as though my lifestyle is a problem, when I'm happy.
Maybe the people who know you don't think you look or act very happy, so they are just expressing concern.

If you are truly comfortable with your lifestyle and life choices you won't let the concern/interest of others upset you

Old 09-15-2014, 01:03 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times
I honestly see nothing wrong with the way you live.

I am just like you. A lot people these days kind of annoy me, and it just seems easier to stay to yourself and not worry about anyone else. My friends and family harass me all the time about dating. I'm just getting to the point where I let them talk and let them say what they want. Everytime I give a guy a chance, it usually ends in him trying to push me into doing things I don't want to do.

I think if you are truly happy they way you are, then EFF what other people say. Nobody can or should tell you how you should be living YOUR life. I honestly admire people like you who really enjoy their alone time. It doesn't hurt to have friends or socialize but there absolutely nothing wrong prefering to be alone than in the company of others.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Maybe the people who know you don't think you look or act very happy, so they are just expressing concern.

If you are truly comfortable with your lifestyle and life choices you won't let the concern/interest of others upset you
It can be upsetting, hearing from my mom. I feel kind of bad for her. I'm an only child and in my early 30s. Sometimes when she speaks about grandchildren, I smile and say, who knows maybe some day, but she knows that I have no interest and I'm just trying to be nice.

I do however believe that she feels as though something went wrong during my childhood. I think she may be right to a degree. I was teased a lot by males (as a child), and never forgot the pain and frustration of it all.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I honestly see nothing wrong with the way you live.

I am just like you. A lot people these days kind of annoy me, and it just seems easier to stay to yourself and not worry about anyone else. My friends and family harass me all the time about dating. I'm just getting to the point where I let them talk and let them say what they want. Everytime I give a guy a chance, it usually ends in him trying to push me into doing things I don't want to do.

I think if you are truly happy they way you are, then EFF what other people say. Nobody can or should tell you how you should be living YOUR life. I honestly admire people like you who really enjoy their alone time. It doesn't hurt to have friends or socialize but there absolutely nothing wrong prefering to be alone than in the company of others.
I am very mistrustful of people so I have never really sought to socialize with others. At one point, I did care about how I was perceived, but not so much anymore.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:17 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
So you're deeply troubled by nagging questions and awkward glances? The only reason you are bothered by these very trivial things is that on some level, you're not too happy about the state of things even though you claim otherwise. I have known some anti social people who always claim to just want to be left alone so they can be happy. Push them a little harder and all of them have admitted they aren't very happy in life.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:18 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Just do your thing. Don't worry about what people think. They probably have good intentions, but at the end of the day, whatever makes you happy is what is important.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:19 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
So you're deeply troubled by nagging questions and awkward glances? The only reason you are bothered by these very trivial things is that on some level, you're not too happy about the state of things even though you claim otherwise. I have known some anti social people who always claim to just want to be left alone so they can be happy. Push them a little harder and all of them have admitted they aren't very happy in life.
Why would someone push them harder and keep prying to begin with?

Old 09-15-2014, 01:22 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaah221 View Post
I do however believe that she feels as though something went wrong during my childhood. I think she may be right to a degree. I was teased a lot by males (as a child), and never forgot the pain and frustration of it all.
I don't know what particular intrinsic of yours attracted the teasing, but it is a safe bet that others shared it. And got over the teasing they got. You didn't. That's fine. You might be better off. Every workplace or job situation I have ever been in had someone like you who lived above the fray as it were. The trick is to stay on this side of sanity. I'm 55. The women I see who have lived like you since they were young adults are now all a bit... nutty, isn't too strong a word. The men too. And there are lots of men who for whatever reason never get the transmission out of neutral or after some really bad life experience stall the car and never get it going again. You can't fall if you are lying down.

Soo. If you truly are happy this way then, fine. But if there is even the slightest doubt in your mind that your mother and other well meant busybodies in your life are onto something. Get help. Quickly too. 30 isn't all that young. Times a wastin' and the sad women that live with too many cats or talk to themselves or eat themselves to 400lbs. Once upon a time, they were just average loners like you.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships