Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:52 PM

253 posts, read 654,896 times

Advertisements

NOPE.

Ex-husband was bipolar, and untreated. He was miserable the entire marriage, would not communicate with me, unresponsive when I tried to reach out and help. When he finally sought treatment, he wrote me out of his life since I was something he picked up while manic. YEAH. (literally what he said) That was a very difficult time of my life and still irks every so often.

Ex-boyfriend was mostly a nice guy. While we went our separate ways because we wanted different things in life and we had personality clashes, he also had pretty bad anxiety. He made the decision to slowly decrease his dosage of his anxiety meds because he felt they muting his sexual sensitivity. And each time he decreased the meds, he would get SUPER moody, very sensitive, and a few times, uncontrollable when dealing with things that frighten him. By the time he was at the minimum dose, he was pretty difficult, as everything I say was insulting, or he can't deal with any questions I have. In order to cope with work stress, he went back on his regular dose and was human again.

So NOPE. Not if I can help it. But it isn't something they advertise either.. you don't know until much later. I'm just not going to walk on eggshells anymore. That's how life is when you are with someone mentally ill. It is not a case of being attacked from an "episode", but day-to-day reactions to things. It wears down on you and you question yourself all the time if you did something wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 09:58 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,373,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
If someone had some form of mental illness, such as BDD, social anxiety, depression, GAD, or bipolar, would you still date them?
No, that is too much for me to take on. I am also not a particularly patient or nurturing person, so it would not go well. However, if someone I cared for developed these issues during our relationship, then I would stay with them if they sought treatment.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:59 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,889 times
I dated my ex so i guess i have.....oh wait he had a totally different set of mental illness.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:56 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Not if it was apparent from the get go. If I was involved with someone and this stuff showed up I might think differently. I am at a point where I will not invite drama into my life.

I know someone who is bipolar who reached out to me as a friend a few years back when she was desperate. We hadn't seen each other in years and had never been close but I went with it. She lives far away so it was just a few phone calls and some emails but as suddenly as it started it stopped. I'm ok with that.

Last edited by Ceece; 09-18-2014 at 01:13 AM..

Old 09-18-2014, 12:02 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,713 times
I'm pretty open to different dating experiences. I would give a person a chance, even if they had bipolar disorder.. though, I did date one guy who told me upfront he did suffer from bipolar I, I couldn't handle his quick mood swings, I suspect a bit of borderline personality disorder traits in him too (bringing you up one minute and degrading you completely the next minute like Mommie Dearest).

I think if people learned to manage their moods through actively taking care of themselves, I'm fine.

I've befriended people with bipolar disorder. They're one of the kindest people you'll ever meet.

The real crazy folks out there are the ones who lack any sort of moral compass or empathy, whatsoever. Those are the ones to watch out for.

BTW- I don't think anything is ever set in stone. I think there's always ways people can beat their own personal challenges, even for the good. You can help alter someone's physical environment, social adversities, and biological well-being, and affect their quality of life in so many ways as to play on their strengths as to not label their weaknesses by highlighting their strengths!

Old 09-18-2014, 01:35 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post

The real crazy folks out there are the ones who lack any sort of moral compass or empathy, whatsoever. Those are the ones to watch out for.
You mean like some people on this thread?

-------

It's comments like these (the thread in general, not the one that I quoted) that explain why mentally ill people are ashamed to seek help. Mentally ill people need more love, not less. No one is obligated to get into relationships with them, but treat them as human beings.

And the term crazy is offensive.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:40 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

-------

It's comments like these (the thread in general, not the one that I quoted) that explain why mentally ill people are ashamed to seek help. Mentally ill people need more love, not less. No one is obligated to get into relationships with them, but treat them as human beings.

Realistically, anyone who claims to be perfect and passes judgment usually are their own worst critics.

For all people who go around grouping people and labeling them, think about how un-compassionate they may be towards themselves.

People who lack general empathy and mistreat others.. don't live in a sort of mental peace like most people do. They dig their own graves without knowing it, and they self-project onto innocent victims or scapegoats they like to pass judgment on and their disillusions manifest itself outwards onto their physical appearances IRL.

-----------------------
No one's perfect. Everyone has their own issues. Not everyone comes from a perfect family of origin without some kind of dysfunction.

And, genetic expression is dependent on mostly the environment (80%).

Old 09-18-2014, 04:31 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
Quote:

-------

I'm not so sure it's such comments that explain why mentally ill people are ashamed to seek help. Generally, it's attitudes, not comments. The word crazy may be offensive, but so are other words and any word one person thinks is offensive is not necessarily offensive to the population as a whole. Words used to replace an offending word are soon offensive, too. How many are to be discarded so as not to hurt anyone's poor little feelings?

If someone does not want to date a person who is mentally ill it's no one else's business. Plus, there are some people in the forum who are mentally ill. After awhile it's clear, but not always. Sometimes, the intelligence of a person is clear by what they write, but not always.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:12 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Realistically, anyone who claims to be perfect and passes judgment usually are their own worst critics.

For all people who go around grouping people and labeling them, think about how un-compassionate they may be towards themselves.

People who lack general empathy and mistreat others.. don't live in a sort of mental peace like most people do. They dig their own graves without knowing it, and they self-project onto innocent victims or scapegoats they like to pass judgment on and their disillusions manifest itself outwards onto their physical appearances IRL.

-----------------------
No one's perfect. Everyone has their own issues. Not everyone comes from a perfect family of origin without some kind of dysfunction.

And, genetic expression is dependent on mostly the environment (80%).
Perhaps it's my sleep deprived brain, but I can't make heads or tails of what you are saying here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I'm not so sure it's such comments that explain why mentally ill people are ashamed to seek help. Generally, it's attitudes, not comments. The word crazy may be offensive, but so are other words and any word one person thinks is offensive is not necessarily offensive to the population as a whole. Words used to replace an offending word are soon offensive, too. How many are to be discarded so as not to hurt anyone's poor little feelings?

If someone does not want to date a person who is mentally ill it's no one else's business. Plus, there are some people in the forum who are mentally ill. After awhile it's clear, but not always. Sometimes, the intelligence of a person is clear by what they write, but not always.
Comments reflect attitudes, no? Online, it is all that we have to go on.

If it were your loved one who were depressed or (insert mental illness here), would you want someone else to call them "crazy"? Or....would you care?

Old 09-18-2014, 06:46 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
Quote:
Perhaps it's my sleep deprived brain, but I can't make heads or tails of what you are saying here.

Comments reflect attitudes, no? Online, it is all that we have to go on.

If it were your loved one who were depressed or (insert mental illness here), would you want someone else to call them "crazy"? Or....would you care?
Do you think it's either one or the other. Was my loved one called crazy in a public square? How do I know? Yes, I know comments reflect attitudes, but online, for many, it doesn't matter. They will judge however they please. It's not important what someone anonymous in an internet forum thinks about what I think. I don't care what they think about what I think. So there! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships